The world of Rugby League.

Wigan 33 Hull FC 34

Daniel Holdsworth gained a measure of revenge for Hull FC's defeat to Wigan Warriors in the Challenge Cup final last weekend as the Black and Whites claimed a dramatic last-second win.
Wigan 33 Hull FC 34

Daniel Holdsworth gained a measure of revenge for Hull Football Club's defeat to Wigan Warriors in the Challenge Cup final last weekend as the Black and Whites claimed a dramatic last-second win.

The visitors led 12-6 thanks to tries from Jason Crookes and Tom Briscoe, with Andy Powell's first try in rugby league sandwiched in the middle, but Ben Flower and Ryan Hampshire crossed in the closing stages of the first half to give the Warriors a 16-12 interval lead.

An end-to-end second period saw Wigan leading 26-12 at one stage with tries from Joe Burgess and Iain Thornley but Hull refused to lie down and hit back with three scores to level it up at 26-26.

Gelling and Briscoe then traded scores and although Sam Powell dropped a goal, two from Holdsworth in the dying minutes sealed it for Hull.

The Warriors were missing a number of key personnel with coach Shaun Wane resting no fewer than 11 of his Wembley heroes, meaning youngsters like Hampshire, Powell, Burgess, Lewis Tierney and Dominic Manfredi got the chance to impress ahead of the play-offs.

Hull also made a number of changes from the Challenge Cup defeat with Andy Lynch, Gareth Ellis and Mark O'Meley absent, while talented hooker Aaron Heremaia was suspended.

It was Hull who struck first when winger Crookes used his strength to beat Burgess in the corner to put the visitors in front.

However, the roof almost came off the place in the 22nd minute when rugby union convert Powell crossed for his first try in league to make it 6-6.

It did not take long for Hull to recapture the lead when Jacob Miller and Holdsworth combined to send England international Briscoe in at the corner, Danny Tickle again adding the extras.

Two tries in as many scintillating minutes saw Wigan go from 12-6 down to 16-12 up. First, Flower crashed over from close range seconds after being held up over the line and straight from the kick-off Gelling broke down the right and sent Hampshire racing away.

Wigan looked unstoppable and crossed for their fourth try of the game when Thornley finally offloaded to his winger and Burgess was on hand to score his first try for the Warriors.

Thornley himself touched down to put the hosts 26-12 ahead before Hull then did to Wigan what the Warriros had done in the first half by crossing for two quick scores.

After Jamie Shaul had won a penalty, the ball was spread wide and Crookes touched down for his second try.

Two minutes later Tierney spilled a high ball, which was then sent wide for Crookes to grab his hat-trick. Tickle converted to close the gap to four points.

Hull then thought they had completed an amazing comeback when Joe Westerman got the ball down with a close-range drive to level the game at 26-26.

But Wigan regained the lead as Hull full-back Shaul made a mess of Powell's towering bomb and Gelling was on hand to touch down, with Hampshire adding the two points.

With the clock ticking down, Powell showed plenty of composure to slot over a drop goal and put the Warriors seven points clear, but it was not enough as Briscoe grabbed his second try of the night and Holdsworth then dropped a goal to level it up at 33-33.

Wigan blew the chance to win it as Powell's drop goal attempt went wide and Hull went straight up the other end and won it with their own as Holdsworth saw his kick sail through the posts.

Wigan Warriors 33
Tries: Andy Powell, Ben Flower, Ryan Hampshire, Joe Burgess, Iain Thornley, Anthony Gelling
Goals: Ryan Hampshire 4
Field Goals: Sam Powell

Hull Football Club 34
Tries: Jason Crookes 3, Tom Briscoe 2, Joe Westerman
Goals: Danny Tickle 4
Field Goals: Daniel Holdsworth 2

Date: Friday 30th August 2013
Venue: DW Stadium
Crowd: 12,417
Referee: J Child
Half Time: Wigan 16-12

Your thoughts?

You need to login or register to contribute here



Would have been a far better match for BSkyB to televise this game, the revenge of the Challenge Cup losers rather than the Saints and the Wire match that failed to reach any great heights!. 

Follow on Facebook

Related Profiles

View profile pages including statistics, results, news, photos and more on all of the following...

Popular News Stories