The world of Rugby League.

Warrington 34 Hull KR 6

Warrington Wolves made it eight wins in a row with an impressive second-half display to stop Hull Kingston Rovers climbing into their highest position of the season.
Warrington 34 Hull KR 6

Warrington Wolves made it eight wins in a row with an impressive second-half display to stop Hull Kingston Rovers climbing into their highest position of the season.

Rovers, who had won their last five games, would have leapfrogged Catalan Dragons into fifth spot in the Super League standings if they had pulled off victory.

That still looked a possibility at half-time with Warrington fortunate to be 12-6 ahead through tries from Brett Hodgson and Mike Cooper, who both went over early on before Jordan Cox replied for Hull KR.

But the Wolves took the game away from their opponents after the break with four unanswered touchdowns - two from Ben Currie and one apiece from Chris Riley and Michael Monaghan. Hodgson also finished with four goals to go with his opening score.

The Wolves, who face Hull FC at Huddersfield in the Tetley’s Challenge Cup semi-final next Sunday, rested skipper Adrian Morley, Ben Westwood, Stefan Ratchford, Paul Wood and Simon Grix with Richie Myler and Ryan Atkins injured.

Ben Harrison returned from a three-month injury absence, while Warrington also included Brad Dwyer after his loan spell at Huddersfield.

Rovers, who had lost their last four clashes at Warrington since 2008, handed Tyla Hepi his debut off the bench and brought back Sean Gleeson with Cory Paterson and Alex Brown out.

The visitors almost took an early lead when Travis Burns just failed to reach a Craig Hall kick after the stand-off had started the move with a superb pass.

Warrington then went in front following a strong burst by Garreth Carvell. Chris Bridge's kick bounced kindly for Hodgson to touch down and the full-back added the conversion.

The Wolves stretched the advantage to 12-0 in the 13th minute when Cooper blasted through Constantine Mika's tackle.

Burns made a lively start for Rovers and his pass allowed Cox to round Hodgson and go over, with Michael Dobson converting to score for his 13th match in a row against Warrington - a run stretching back five years.

Josh Hodgson had a try disallowed as Hull KR continued to come back strongly, while Burns had a touchdown ruled out by referee Tim Roby for a forward pass.

Rhys Williams spilled a Hodgson pass early in the second half to squander a try opportunity before Lee Briers tossed away another chance by kicking ahead when in the clear.

Briers had rounded Greg Eden but lacked the confidence to finish off the move. However, he made amends by sending Currie over in the corner after a Bridge breakaway.

Hodgson missed the touchline conversion but Warrington led 16-6 after 52 minutes.

Greg Eden was stopped by Currie and Briers as Rovers attempted to respond but a solo try from Riley 17 minutes from time calmed Warrington's nerves.

Riley mesmerised several defenders and Hodgson's goal stretched the lead to 22-6.

Rovers' hopes were finally dashed when Lincoln Withers missed a vital tackle to allow Monaghan to scamper over near the posts.

Currie bagged his second try six minutes from time as Rovers ran out of steam.

Warrington Wolves 34
Tries: Ben Currie 2, Brett Hodgson, Mike Cooper, Chris Riley, Michael Monaghan
Goals: Brett Hodgson 4, Lee Briers

Hull Kingston Rovers 6
Tries: Jordan Cox
Goals: Michael Dobson
Date: Sunday 21st July 2013
Venue: Halliwell Jones Stadium
Crowd: 9,938
Referee: T Roby
Half Time: Warrington 12-6

Your thoughts?

You need to login or register to contribute here

Follow on Facebook

Related Profiles

View profile pages including statistics, results, news, photos and more on all of the following...
Ben Currie

Popular News Stories