The world of Rugby League.

QCup Rd 3 Wynnum 18 Burleigh 14

Wynnum Manly Seagulls continued their unbeaten start to the season, defeating the Burleigh Bears 18-14 at BMD Kougari Oval yesterday.
QCup Rd 3 Wynnum 18 Burleigh 14
by NRL

Wynnum Manly Seagulls continued their unbeaten start to the season, defeating the Burleigh Bears 18-14 at BMD Kougari Oval yesterday.

In front of a parochial home crowd, the Seagulls trailed for much of the second half, until captain Luke Dalziel-Don cracked open the defence to score the match winner in the 68th minute.

Coming off a big win last week against Central Queensland Capras, the Seagulls looked the better side early on, as they slowly applied pressure to the Bears defensive line.

Their efforts were rewarded in the ninth minute, when star hooker Jake Granville touched down between the posts. Five-eighth John Te Reo added the extras for a 6-0 lead.

Six minutes later, Granville broke the line again, charging downfield to give his side great field position. Some silky footwork from Te Reo saw him cross over next to the uprights, before again adding the extras to take the lead to 12-0.

The game became a forwards battle, as both teams traded penalties, and committed simple handling errors.

Following a Wynnum error, Bears winger Dave Sheehan broke the line from a scrum, before unloading to late inclusion Anthony Don. The fullback sprinted 30m before scoring in the south east corner on the 25th minute mark.

Thirteen minutes later, the Bears scored again, when left centre James Stuart broke the defence to score in the same spot.

Gold Coast Titan Aidan Sezer found the breeze difficult to contend with, as he missed both conversions, leaving the score at 12-8.

Seconds before half time, Don managed to expose the Seagulls right side defence again as he raced away to score his second. Sezer converted the try, giving the Bears a 14-12 lead at half time.

As the second half commenced, Burleigh went straight on the attack. Brophy and Don went close to extending the lead, but were denied by superb scrambling defence.

Bears co-captain Darren Griffiths did all he could for his side, coming up with several big hits that almost swung the game into their favour.

The 57th minute saw Granville take the field again, immediately making his presence felt with several probing runs through the defence.

A penalty 10m out gave Wynnum a chance to level the match, which Te Reo did with ease with 15 minutes to play.

All the momentum was with the Seagulls, highlighted by a vicious fend from Bronco Mitchell Dodds that sent the defender flying back.

From the ensuing sets, Dalziel-Don crashed over, giving the Seagulls an 18-14 lead.

Burleigh threw all they had at the Seagulls line, with Sezer crossing only to lose the ball in the process. In the tense final seconds, the Bears had another chance to score, but the kick landed in the hands of Seagull Sean Loxley.

WYNNUM MANLY SEAGULLS 18 (John Te Reo, Luke Dalziel-Don, Jake Granville tries; John Te Reo 3 goals) def BURLEIGH BEARS 14 (Anthony Don 2, James Stuart tries; Aidan Sezer goal) at BMD Kougari Oval.

Your thoughts?

You need to login or register to contribute here

Follow on Facebook

Related Profiles

View profile pages including statistics, results, news, photos and more on all of the following...

Popular News Stories