The world of Rugby League.

QCup: Energetic Easts cut down Mackay

A blistering first half paved the way for Easts Tigers 31-18 victory over Mackay Cutters in Sunday’s qualifying final at Virgin Australia Stadium.
QCup: Energetic Easts cut down Mackay

A blistering first half paved the way for Easts Tigers 31-18 victory over Mackay Cutters in Sunday’s qualifying final at Virgin Australia Stadium.

The visiting Tigers started the match firing on all cylinders and with a mountain of possession on their side opened up a 26-0 lead at the break.

However, inspired by a vocal home crowd, the Cutters mustered a second half comeback to reduce the deficit to twelve points.

But Easts held their nerve in the dying stages and iced the win when playmaking utility Grant Giess (pictured) landed a field goal in the 77th minute.

The Tigers will now play the Northern Pride in Cairns this Sunday for a place in the grand final.

One focal point prior to the match was the inclusion of Melbourne Storm five-eighth Gareth Widdop, with the England international making his comeback from a dislocated hip via the Intrust Super Cup.

“I’ve been through two to three weeks of solid training now, there were a few nerves there… but I was quietly confident and things came up alright,” he revealed.

“We had two sessions (before the match) and we kept them fairly simple but the boys played really well today and I’m just happy I contributed in some way towards the win.”

Regardless of Widdop’s presence, it was the Tigers’ pack that set the tone early.

Starting at hooker, Giess dived over at dummy half to opening the scoring before Easts went on to post three tries in a scintillating eleven minute period.

Fullback Ben Hampton was heavily involved, touching down off a second man play while also setting up Cody Walker with a long-range break from the Tigers’ half.

Trailing 26-nil, the Cutters drew first blood after the interval when mammoth centre Michael Koko barged through the defence.

They then went back-to-back to cut the margin to 30-18 with 18 minutes to play.

But a miracle victory remained out of reach, with execution during the crucial moments letting the Cutters down.

Mackay coach Kim Williams provided a brutally honest post-game assessment and admitted his side hasn’t been at the top of their game for “about a month”.

“In that first half we were very lazy on the inside… we didn’t work hard enough in the kick chase, we were very poor in the reload out of the tackle and (didn’t show) urgency to get back on-side,” he said.

“It wasn’t the performance I had expected... I’m hoping the threat of sudden death next weekend turns things around because it wasn’t acceptable for a finals game.”

The Cutters will be looking to keep their 2013 campaign alive against the Ipswich Jets at Virgin Australia Stadium on Saturday night.

Easts Tigers - 31
Tries: Ben Hampton, Mahe Fonua, Cody Walker, Dane Hogan, Grant Giess
Goals: Cody Walker 5
Field Goal: Grant Giess

Mackay Cutters - 18
Tries: Michael Koko 2, Sam Hoare
Goals: Liam Taylor 3


Your thoughts?

You need to login or register to contribute here

Follow on Facebook

Related Profiles

View profile pages including statistics, results, news, photos and more on all of the following...

Popular News Stories