The world of Rugby League.

NYC Rd 21 Canberra 36 Newcastle 28

Raiders Toyota Cup side are back in the top four after beating the Newcastle Knights 36-28 in a keenly contested game at Canberra Stadium.
NYC Rd 21 Canberra 36 Newcastle 28
by NRL

Raiders Toyota Cup side are back in the top four after beating the Newcastle Knights 36-28 in a keenly contested game at Canberra Stadium.

The first half was a see-sawing affair in which the lead changed three times. However, a dominant performance by the Raiders in the second half secured the two points for Andrew Dunemann's young charges.

The home side drew first blood in the ninth minute when a break by winger Jeremy Hawkins gave the Raiders great field position and allowed Jonathon Ruben to cross on right hand touch line. Anthony Milford missed the conversion and the Raiders led 4-0.

The Knights took the lead three minutes later when a nice short ball from centre Api Pewhairangi saw winger Chanel Mata'utia score a try which was converted by Lachlan Shipard.

However, the Raiders regained the lead when centre Matthew Allwood sliced his way through the Newcastle defensive line to score his ninth try of the season.

Newcastle hit back in the 23rd minute when fullback Kurt Mann took advantage of some flimsy goal line defence by Canberra to cross for a try adjacent to the posts, which after Shipard's conversion put the Knights ahead 12-10.

The visitors extended their advantage to eight points in the 29th minute when lock Tyler Randell barged over for a converted try from close range.

Hawkins reduced the deficit to two points four minutes later when he showed great strength beating four Knights defenders to score a determined try. This was immediately followed by an unconverted try to hardworking Raiders centre Joe Bradley who scored after the Green Machine opted to run the ball on the last tackle.

Milford looked to have scored the Raiders' third unanswered try when he finished off a long break from Ruben right on the stroke of half time but referee Gavin West controversially ruled a double movement. This meant that the Raiders went into the sheds with a 20-18 lead.

The Raiders burst out of the blocks quickly in the second stanza scoring a spectacular try through interchange forward Tim Sloman, who completed a 50 metre movement which started on the fifth tackle and passed through 11 sets of hands.

Milford then grabbed a try for the Green Machine when he backed up a break from Bradley down the left hand side in the 58th minute.

The Raiders looked to have sealed the game in the 65th minute game when Allwood crossed for his second try of the day to open up an 18 point lead. However, big Newcastle prop Korbin Sims ensured a tense finish when he scored two tries in quick succession to reduce this lead to eight points with just seven minutes left on the clock.

The Raiders were best served by Hawkins who scored one try, made four line breaks and ran for 153 metres.

Tries (7): Matthew Allwood 2, Joseph Bradley, Jeremy Hawkins, Anthony Milford, Jonathon Reuben, Tim Sloman
Goals (4): Anthony Milford (4 from 7)

Tries (5): Korbin Sims 2, Kurt Mann, Chanel Mata'utia, Tyler Randell
Goals (4): Lachlan Shipard (4 from 5)

Referee: Gavin West
Halftime score: Canberra Raiders 20-18

Your thoughts?

You need to login or register to contribute here

Follow on Facebook

Related Profiles

View profile pages including statistics, results, news, photos and more on all of the following...

Popular News Stories