The world of Rugby League.

Hull FC spoil Crusaders final home game

Crusaders RL signed off at home in the Engage Super League in the way they started - by losing to Hull FC.
Hull FC spoil Crusaders final home game
by NRL

Crusaders RL signed off at home in the Engage Super League in the way they started - by losing to Hull FC.

This time, instead of a 28-20 defeat, Hull hammered the second bottom Welshmen under a barrage of tries.

However, they will be waiting nervously on news of Danny Tickle, who limped off the field in the first half with an apparent hamstring injury.

Crusaders withdrew their Super League licence application last month at the last minute and, with it, faced up to relegation and the end of their three-year stint in the top flight of British rugby league.

Hull FC were in no mood to be sympathetic as they battle for a play-off place, with the team they are desperate to dislodge from the top eight being arch rivals Hull KR.

Hull started well and a big hole in the home defence allowed loose forward Craig Fitzgibbon to canter over the line for a converted touchdown.

Moments later, great hands in the Crusaders danger zone saw prop Mark O'Meley scramble over and Tickle again converted.

Hull were certainly on top, with Danny Houghton excellent at dummy half, and, after a couple of counter-attacks from the Welshmen, moved 16-0 in front.

Home skipper Clinton Schifcofske gave away a penalty in front of his posts and, after a couple of plays, Tickle sent centre Richard Whiting in at the corner.

Crusaders centre Tony Martin plus Tom Briscoe and Epalahame Lauaki for Hull received a lecture from referee Phil Bentham after a mass scuffle on the touchline.

Hull upped the tempo once more as the home side struggled to keep pace. Fitzgibbon went over for his second try on 29 minutes but they lost Tickle straight afterwards.

And it was a fifth Hull try on 34 minutes when replacement Lee Radford rattled the posts as he touched down, with Joe Westerman kicking the goal instead of Tickle

Just before the half-time hooter, Houghton made it six of the best in the opening period when he went through the defence for another converted try.

The pain for the hosts continued after the break as Hull threatened to beat the Crusaders' record defeat - a 68-0 thrashing by Leeds Rhinos in Newport in 2009.

Tries from Cameron Phelps, Westerman and Jordan Turner took Hull to 48-0 before centre Vince Mellars got a touchdown back which meant they at least finished their home campaign with points on the board.

But normal service was resumed after the hour mark as Sam Obst went over in the corner to take Hull past the 50-point mark.

Martin and Peter Lupton both went over for the Crusaders in the closing 10 minutes, before Obst grabbed his second try for Hull.

And, at the final hooter, there was a pitch invasion by the home fans as the curtain fell on an era in Wales.

Your thoughts?

You need to login or register to contribute here

Follow on Facebook

Related Profiles

View profile pages including statistics, results, news, photos and more on all of the following...

Popular News Stories