The world of Rugby League.

Hull FC 16 Huddersfield 22

Huddersfield Giants edged out Hull Football Club to move to second in the Super League table as a late Danny Brough try proved decisive in sweltering conditions at the KC Stadium.
Hull FC 16 Huddersfield 22

Huddersfield Giants edged out Hull Football Club to move to second in the Super League table as a late Danny Brough try proved decisive in sweltering conditions at the KC Stadium.

Hull started the game on fire with a try by Chris Green in the second minute.

The Giants hit back with two close-range tries from Joe Arundel and Ukuma Ta'ai giving them a 12-6 lead, before Kirk Yeaman closed the gap to two points at the break.

Jermaine McGillvary rose above Tom Briscoe to extend the visitors' lead to six after collecting Brough's kick. A big hit on Luke Robinson by Gareth Ellis helped Hull to level with Mark O'Meley's try.

Robinson did not return, but Brough stepped up to give the Giants a late lead with a spectacular try that earned the two points.

An early forward pass by the Giants set the hosts up in a great position, and from the ensuing set Ben Galea sliced through the defence and then supplied the on-rushing Green for the score.

Joe Westerman added the extras, and the Black and Whites continued to dominate the early exchanges, but when Dale Ferguson picked up a loose ball in enemy territory the tide turned.

The Giants crossed moments later when Wardle brushed off Arundel to slide over in the corner after taking Brett Ferres' short ball. Brough converted from the touchline to level the scores.

By this point Huddersfield had found their footing in the game and they soon barged over from close range as Ta'ai span his way to the line after taking Lunt's short ball. Brough added the two for a six-point lead.

Arundel was held up over the try-line as FC went close before the half-hour but the pressure did not turn into points.

The Black and Whites finally hit back in the last minute of the first period.

Gareth Ellis provided the powerful break down the left with a barnstorming run and Yeaman collected his pass to dive over in the corner. Danny Tickle missed the conversion from the touchline to leave a two-point gap.

The Airlie Birds started the second period brightly, forcing back to back drop-outs, but they could not make the pressure pay.

Against the run of play the visitors extended their lead in the 55th minute. Brough's high kick to the corner was taken airborne by McGillvary as he rose above Briscoe, and the Giants winger then strolled in for the score.

Then came an unfortunate moment for the Giants as Ellis' big tackle on Robinson forced the ball free and left the Huddersfield scrum-half flat out on the field.

Hull broke upfield with Yeaman and moments later O'Meley barged over from close range.

Robinson was taken off and in the aftermath of the try there threatened to be a dust up as the Giants players were angered by Jacob Miller's celebrations.

An arm wrestle ensued before Miller forced a drop-out with a neat grubber kick.

Hull FC failed to take advantage as Miller's scruffy drop-goal attempt hit the post, before Shannon McDonnell almost scored in a bizarre piece of play only to be ruled offside.

The Giants scored the crucial try with six minutes remaining. After two poor attempts at a one-pointer, Brough picked up the pieces and spun through two defenders to touch down. He then converted his own score to seal a six-point win.

Hull Football Club 16
Tries: Chris Green, Kirk Yeaman, Mark O'Meley
Goals: Joe Westerman, Danny Tickle

Huddersfield Giants 22
Tries: Joe Wardle, Ukuma Ta'ai, Jermaine McGillvary, Danny Brough
Goals: Danny Brough 3

Date: Sunday 7th July 2013
Venue: Kingston Communications Stadium
Crowd: 10,986
Referee: P Bentham
Date: Huddersfield 12-10

Your thoughts?

You need to login or register to contribute here

Follow on Facebook

Related Profiles

View profile pages including statistics, results, news, photos and more on all of the following...
Danny Brough

Popular News Stories