The world of Rugby League.

Challenge Cup: Huddersfield 50 London 14

A grey, breezy afternoon at the Galpharm Stadium saw Huddersfield entertain London in the Quarter Final of the Carnegie Challenge Cup .
Challenge Cup: Huddersfield 50 London 14
by NRL

A grey, breezy afternoon at the Galpharm Stadium saw Huddersfield entertain London in the Quarter Final of the Carnegie Challenge Cup ... the Giants looking to make their fourth appearance in the Semi Final over the last eight years. Luke O'Donnell was a late withdrawel from the line up with a hamstring injury with Luke George also missed out due to illness.

The visitors were the first to get on the score sheet on their first meaningful attack after the Giants had made all the early running when Craig Gower's clever play drew out Leroy Cudjoe from the defensive line allowing Kieran Dixon to cross in the corner, Michael Witt failed to add the extras but within three minutes of the Broncos try the Giants struck back. Aaron Murphy was the try scorer after good work on the left by Danny Brough, Kevin Brown and Joe Wardle with the position being gained by Michael Lawrence gathering Danny Brough's short kick off following the Broncos score. Danny Brough failed to add the extras from the touch line but with thirteen minutes gone and just three minutes after the first Giants try Greg Eden spotted a half opening on the Broncos twenty and shot through for a fine individual try. Danny Brough added the extras to put the Giants into double figures.

A Luke Robinson kick and run forced a goal line drop out but the Giants were unable to take full advantage and on thirty two minutes after a kick forward by Gower, Kieran Dixon touched down for his second try of the afternoon on the intervention of the video referee though many in the crowd did not agree with the decision made. Michael Witt again missed with the conversion attempt but the Broncos were back in the game with just a two point deficit.

Again the Giants responded positively with a try within two minutes Larne Patrick powering over from Luke Robinson's pass after the position had been set up by Michael Lawrence, Danny Brough added the extras and the Giants were almost over within the next minute after Scott Grix made some forty yards down the centre only for his inside pass to be knocked to ground by a defender. On thirty eight minutes however the Giants were over again, Greg Eden getting his second of the afternoon supporting a break from Danny Brough who showed remarkable footwork and speed from Dummy half. The creator of the try added the extras and the Giants went in at the hooter with a 14 point advantage.

It had not been entirely vintage Giants in the first period with opportunities going begging but credit to the visitors for a spirited performance.

The Giants were quickly on the offensive when the second half began a Kevin Brown kick forcing an early goal line drop out and then a try being disallowed for a forward pass. However, on forty nine minutes Luke Robinson scooted in for a try after the ball had bounced around from one side to the other, the video referee making the award and Danny Brough adding the extras.

Within a minute Luke Robinson was in for his second try of the afternoon after good work from Kevin Brown and Joe Wardle. Danny Brough's conversion virtually took the game out of reach for the visitors but they did hit back on fifty three minutes with a Scott Wheeldon try, the video referee again making the award. Michael Witt reduced the deficit to twenty points but the remainder of the half belonged almost exclusively to the Giants who showed some fine bouts of passing and support play leading to tries from Aaron Murphy and Jermaine McGillvary one of which was converted by Scott Grix.

A touchdown by Leroy Cudjoe after brilliant hands from seven Giants players was ruled out by the video referee for an alleged obstruction but the final score came to Dale Ferguson on seventy three minutes which was reward for a fine performance by the forward, the pass having being provided by the outstanding Luke Robinson. Scott Grix added the extras to put the Giants onto 50 points and complete a solid performance to put the Giants into the semi final and a tie with the Warrington Wolves.

Penalties Conceded
Huddersfield Giants 5
London Broncos 7

Goal Line Dropouts Conceded
Huddersfield Giants 1
London Broncos 2

Half Time score
Huddersfield Giants 22-8 London Broncos

Full Time score
Huddersfield Giants 50-14 London Broncos

Huddersfield Giants
T: Aaron Murphy 2, Greg Eden 2, Luke Robinson 2, Larne Patrick, Jermaine McGillvary, Dale Ferguson
G: Danny Brough 5, Scott Grix 2

London Broncos
T: Kieran Dixon 2, Scott Wheeldon
G: Michael Witt

Man of the Match: Luke Robinson
Weather: Breezy
Temp: 15c
Attendance: 2,574

Your thoughts?

You need to login or register to contribute here

Follow on Facebook

Related Profiles

View profile pages including statistics, results, news, photos and more on all of the following...

Popular News Stories