The world of Rugby League.

Castleford 30 Hull FC 28

Castleford Tigers winger James Clare scored a dramatic length-of-the-field try 11 minutes from the end of a pulsating Super League game to give Daryl Powell a notable victory in his first home match as head coach.
Castleford 30 Hull FC 28

Castleford Tigers winger James Clare scored a dramatic length-of-the-field try 11 minutes from the end of a pulsating Super League game to give Daryl Powell a notable victory in his first home match as head coach.

The Tigers twice came from behind to secure a third consecutive home win - bizarrely spread over more than two months - and leave Hull Football Club centre Ben Crooks on the losing side despite scoring four tries.

Hull actually outscored their hosts by six tries to five but Daniel Holdsworth missed four conversion attempts, whereas Kirk Dixon enjoyed a 100% success rate with the boot.

The Black and Whites, led by hooker Danny Houghton in the absence of the injured Gareth Ellis, thought they had snatched victory in the last play of the game when exciting winger Tom Lineham made a dash for the line but was agonisingly halted inches short.

Scrum-half Jacob Miller, chosen to make his debut less than a week after arriving from Australia, began the match slowly but showed some clever touches towards the end to give Hull encouragement in a second consecutive defeat.

It was non-stop action from the moment one-time Castleford favourite Joe Westerman carved open the Tigers defence for the game's opening try in the second minute, fending off the attempted challenge of Oliver Holmes to get Crooks over for his first try.

Castleford drew level four minutes later when right winger Richard Owen, restored to the side after a two-month absence, outjumped his opposite number Jason Crookes to collect the ball from Rangi Chase's high kick.

But the home defence enjoyed something of a charmed life with Hull full-back Shannon McDonnell wasting one glorious tryscoring opportunity after breaking clear from his own half and Chase twice pulling off timely interceptions to break up dangerous attacks.

Weller Hauraki, chosen at stand-off in a bid to stiffen Castleford's defence, then pulled off a try-saving tackle on former Tigers centre Joe Arundel but was hurt in the process and was forced from the field.

Powell's men held out until nine minutes from the break when Hull forward Liam Watts broke their line to get fellow substitute Aaron Heremaia over and Castleford cracked again six minutes later when centre Jordan Thompson missed a one-on-one tackle to let Crooks in for his second try.

Holdsworth kicked his second goal to make it 16-6 and Castleford suffered another injury blow two minutes into the second half when prop Ben Davies, who this week joined the club from Widnes Vikings, pulled a hamstring and left Powell with just two men on the bench.

However, the battling Tigers turned the game on its head with three tries in six minutes to storm into a 24-16 lead.

First Chase put centre Dixon through a gap and took a return pass to touch down, while prop Craig Huby produced a neat half-break and pass out of the tackle to get hooker Daryl Clark over.

Chase then came up with a 40-20 kick to keep the momentum going and replacement prop Jonathan Walker romped over from 10 metres out for his side's fourth try.

Dixon's fourth conversion put the Tigers into an eight-point lead but it was halved on 57 minutes when a surging run from Lineham set up the position for Heremaia to go over for his second try.

Holdsworth's conversion attempt rebounded off an upright and he was also off target when Crooks completed his hat-trick on 61 minutes by finishing off Miller's break.

In a frantic finish, Castleford full-back Jordan Tansey saved his side with a last-ditch tackle on Crookes before Clare pounced on a loose ball and sprinted 95 metres for the match-winning try.

Chase was wide with a drop-goal attempt that would have sealed it and there was one last twist when Miller's cut-out pass got Crooks over for his fourth try, with Holdsworth failing with the touchline conversion attempt.

Castleford Tigers 30
Tries: Richard Owen, Rangi Chase, Daryl Clark, Jonathan Walker, James Clare
Goals: Kirk Dixon 5

Hull Football Club 28
Tries: Ben Crooks 4, Aaron Heremaia 2
Goals: Daniel Holdsworth 2

Date: Friday 21st June 2013
Venue: Wish Communications Stadium
Crowd: 6,022
Referee: Jamie Child
Half Time: Hull FC 16-6

Your thoughts?

You need to login or register to contribute here

Follow on Facebook

Related Profiles

View profile pages including statistics, results, news, photos and more on all of the following...

Popular News Stories