The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Sonny Bill Williams

RoostarGirl

RoostarGirl

RELAX, Roosters fans. Sonny Bill Williams is still headed to Bondi Junction next season. In the absence of a formal announcement, rumours have been multiplying about the dual international's plans for 2013. He's staying in Super Rugby. He's going to South Africa. He's in fresh negotiations with Parramatta.
Forget the lot.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/jared-waerea-hargreaves-stays-put-and-hopes-roosters-grab-sonny-bill-williams/story-e6frexnr-1226324287085 As it stands right now, Williams is returning to rugby league on a one-year deal with the Roosters.
Negotiations have proved more complex than expected, but the club's board is now comfortable with Williams' desire to report for duty after a six-month stint in Japanese rugby.

A gobsmacking $1 million offer to play 12 matches with Panasonic between September and next January has proved a sticking point because it prevents Williams from joining his new teammates until the eve of the trials.
The New Zealand heavyweight boxing champ is also looking to squeeze another fight into his hectic end-of-year schedule, possibly in Cape Town.
The Roosters initially wanted Williams to commit long term to avoid an annual media circus about his future.
But recent talks have convinced them to compromise, albeit on terms that are not usually extended to other recruits.
That much was confirmed when Williams met chairman Nick Politis while in Sydney last month.
After watching booze-fuelled scandals blight his club over the past four years, Politis has deep respect for Williams' cleanskin lifestyle. He hopes Williams' approach will be a positive influence on the NRL's fresh-faced roster, which will welcome Williams as its second-oldest member behind fullback Anthony Minichiello.
STILL in the eastern beaches, we're tipping Sam Perrett will be granted belated permission to join Canterbury next week.
Part of the mid-season transfer deal involved the Bulldogs handing over talented under-20s pivot Samisoni Langi in exchange for Perrett and his little brother Lloyd.
The youngsters made the switch yesterday, with Langi undergoing a fitness test at Roosters HQ and Perrett Jnr visiting Belmore. But the Roosters still require Perrett's services for Sunday's clash against Manly because Peni Tagive and Shaun Kenny-Dowall remain unavailable.
The transfer deadline does not expire until next Saturday, leaving Perrett more than a week to finalise his 3 1/2-year deal at Belmore.
Enjoying the bye next weekend, the Roosters hope to have Kenny-Dowall or Tagive back for round 18.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/sonny-bill-williams-still-returning-to-rugby-league-with-sydney-roosters/story-e6frexnr-1226404936256 
Kramer

Kramer

Sounds very much like it's on SBW terms 
Morkel

Morkel

Rooters will get what they deserve. Again. 
annav3

annav3

a condition of the contract is that he has to take his shirt off during the match :) 
Rooster1

Rooster1

Another premiership?

I like your positivity but let's just wait and see hey. 
RoostarGirl

RoostarGirl

Would have preferred more then one yr but it might not such a bad thing. I really want him at the club, really lacking an X factor player 
Sikk

Sikk

I couldnt disagree more. Wewould be far better off focussing on some high quality wingers with some size and experience, our fowards have been mostering packs all year - we do more damage up the middle than any team. Im tired of seeing us beaten in the air at both ends of the field. The days of playing anyone on the wing to blood them is so 1990s its not funny.

I love Sam P for his heart and i wish him well, but Im not sorry to see him go - just not to make room for SBW. His size has always been an issue, I want wingers that bust tackles in their 20 , not ours.

Remember FOF? Well I say SBW - Send Back Williams.

What do I know though? - Im just a mug like all of us on these forums. Ill still be cheering for him if he delivers. 
UGoodthings

UGoodthings

I am really struggling to make my mind up with this. I agree we do need wingers, we do have some good young ones coming through though. Rokolati & rts are both good young players who know how to find the line. We have just brought oldfield who I really rate. He has a good work rate, is quick & his support play is sensational. It's probably a good thing if we only get sbw for a year. If he doesn't produce, we don't have to hang on to him. Also the young guys we have on small contracts are going to need upgrading in the future, & if sbw is eating up too much of our cap we may not be able to do that when needed. 
Maximus89

Maximus89

This guy just proves time and time again that he is all about money. The grub shouldn't be anywhere near rugby league. 
HeadlessChook

HeadlessChook

But how good would he look in red and white?

Jusat saw the highlights of the All Blacks V Ireland....he was on another level, hope the deal has been struck cause he would have added another zero or tow after today! 
RoostarGirl

RoostarGirl

Nothing a few paper brown bags can't take care of ;)

After watching that, I'm more keen for him to join us, he was great. 
annav3

annav3

Sonny’s fight

THE only thing holding up an announcement that Sonny Bill Williams will join the Sydney Roosters is negotiations between his manager and the club about time off from training for a fight.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/australias-best-sporting-gossip-with-phil-rothfield/story-e6freye0-1226406460216 
Maximus89

Maximus89

I wouldn't want him anywhere near the red v. Too much trouble. Why would we want to pay someone $1 million a season when he doesn't even want to turn up to pre-season training, and skip training at other times for boxing? He couldn't give a shit about your club, and will be gone after a season for the next big pay day. Imagine if you guys lost Moga, Pearce and/or Cordner for this guy?

With mundine in his ear, there is no chance he would ever come to the Dragons anyway. 
southsport

southsport

Exactly.........SBW should be a good signing. Playing for the All Blacks he's at the pinnacle of the rugby code. 
RoostarGirl

RoostarGirl

Would have thought apart of the advantage of signing him for a yr would mean we can't lose those players? 
UGoodthings

UGoodthings

Exactly, they are all signed for next yr. we get to work out if it is working for us, if we will lose to many players because of him, & if who we need to keep & lose for our future. Very good thing he has only signed for a yr. if he is a raging success we will keep him, we rarely lose a player we want to keep. At least this way if he ends up being like mason we aren't stuck paying another club to take him. 
RoostarGirl

RoostarGirl

Sonny Bill Williams will http://forums.rleague.com/sport/nrl/news/blog/matty-johns-says-sonny-bill-williams-100-going-to-roosters/20120227-fpcn.html reportedly go to the Sydney Roosters next year , according to Triple M's Matty Johns.
"That was put on hold with the Japanese rugby offer [on the table]. We can reveal now that by all reports we're hearing, the deal is all but done... they believe that most certainly Sonny Bill Williams will be at the Roosters next year," Johns explained.
"But is it worth it?" Johns asked. "He's going to play 12 games in Japan with Panasonic. Through his time at the Roosters he'll go to South Africa to do one boxing match. And he'll only sign a one year deal, so after 12 months of all that, you'll have to go through it again."
Anyone who saw the crap we put together yesterday, at the Sydney Football Stadium, it was embarrassing to be a Roosters supporter... We need a player of his ability," Triple M's Gus Worland, the Grill Team's resident Roosters supporter.

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sport/nrl/news/blog/matty-johns-sonny-bill-williams-heading-to-sydney-roosters/20120625-gkjb.html 
Maximus89

Maximus89

Not if he wants a quarter of the salary cap all to himself. 
slip

slip

Glad you guys signed him and not us! He is injury prone and his best days are behind him. Besides, Parra have enough overpaid players. 
RoostarGirl

RoostarGirl

Only make sense if he was signing for 3-4 yrs. 
RoostarGirl

RoostarGirl

Guessing you didn't watch the game on the weekend? 
Maximus89

Maximus89

Nope. You guys have 800k+ available in the salary cap for him next year? 
slip

slip

Don't need to! He will do his knee or foot or mind and be sitting on the sideline for the rest of his contract. 
RoostarGirl

RoostarGirl

Yes, not to mention the cap has increased and secondly we have secured our off contract players for next season including Moga. Those that do come off contract next season still won't be affected unless we re-sign him again.

Not quite understanding your point. 
annav3

annav3

Sonny Bill will be a bad influence on the young players that the club has worked so hard in recent years to develop. He will destabalise them rather than provide any positive influence.

Should be good entertainment though. 

Recent Rugby League Posts

eagle10 - there is a team list on stingers site but its versing a Toowoomba rep side
surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
bossshoel - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
bossshoel - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
zahidkhan06 - http://www.allhereget.com/?p=102Watch all kinds of Sports like Rugby, NCAA, Soccer, NFL, CFL, AFL, MLS, MLB, NBA, NHL, Boxing , Tennis, F...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181