The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Sonny Bill Williams

RoostarGirl

RoostarGirl

Sonny Bill Williams left the NRL in 2008 as one of the most damaging ball-runners and feared defenders in the world.
He has returned as the complete package.
Williams' performance in his Sydney Roosters 8-0 win against Brisbane on Saturday night was arguably the best of his rugby league career and easily his most influential outing since returning to the code from rugby union.
The off-loads, footwork and monstering defence were still there but this trio of gifts which saw him surge on the rugby league world are now just minor aspects of his game.
Advertisement
He has a new sense of maturity, an ability to pick his moments while still being the most influential player on the field.
Williams' sheer athleticism and skill laid on the only try of the match, when he put five-eighth James Maloney through a gaping hole, from a pass any genuine playmaker would be proud of.
The backrower, who was denied his own try after dropping the ball over the line, terrorised Scott Prince on Brisbane's right hand defensive edge.
He played 80 minutes for a second consecutive week and finished with 15 hit-ups and 36 tackles in a performance the coach Trent Robinson described as tough.
“We saw some nice passes and a couple of good off-loads and all that,” Robinson said.
“But he worked really hard on his D [defence]. He turned up and he also had a lot of pressure on Prince. He made good decisions on block plays, it was a really strong 80 minutes and really impressive to see the balance between some nice attacking play and he'll do anything to work hard for the bloke next to him.
“He doesn't want to let anyone down. He works hard on his individual game.
“He is really clear on his role within our team and it's easier defensively to know your role but harder to do it and he worked hard on that tonight.”
Williams was not alone in helping the Roosters shut out Brisbane.
Props Jared Waerea-Hargreaves and Martin Kennedy were among the Roosters' best.
While Robinson was pleased with his teams' defensive resolve he was once again left unsatisfied with their discipline.
“It's frustrating,” Robinson said of the seven penalties his team gifted Brisbane.
“They are frustrating because you don't know how your teams are going to defend them. I got some confidence as we went on about defending our error or a penalty but it's still not good enough from us.
“Good teams work hard on avoiding the obvious ones. We're still giving field position up pretty easily.”
Meanwhile, Broncos coach Anthony Griffin said his team should have capitalised on their mountain of possession.
Brisbane finished with 55 per cent of time with the ball.
“It wasn't a step backwards in effort,” Griffin said. “We had our chances.
“It was disappointing not to score a couple of tries.”
Neither side suffered any injuries but Brisbane could be without back-rower Matt Gillett who is expected to come under the scrutiny of the match review committee for a high shot on Maloney in the first half despite not being placed on report.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/sonny-bill-brings-monster-defence-in-best-game-yet-20130323-2gn9x.html#ixzz2OV82bGPz 
alchemist

alchemist

"Williams' performance in his Sydney Roosters 8-0 win against Brisbane on Saturday night was arguably the best of his rugby league career"

SBW had plenty of great performances for the Dogs which were better than his display against the Broncos on the weekend

SBW is obviously a great player... but people shouldn't get too ahead of themselves just yet... he still needs to time re-acclimatise to the NRL --> the pace, the contact, the wrestle etc.

by mid season though, he should be tearing it up 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

So....is he an Immortal yet or what? 
UGoodthings

UGoodthings

I've got to say, I watched him at the dogs & he was unstoppable. I had my reservations about his commitment to playing the tough games for us though. I started to listen to some of the opinion floating around on what would happen,& thought yeah he is gonna come off the bench all year & just have a go when he feels like it.
Boy was I wrong!!! He is one of the most professional players I have ever seen. Every tackle he made was a critical one, he cut guys down one on one every time as they were heading to the line. His reads in defence were brilliant & as Robinson noticed his blocking plays on the ball being offloaded as it went wide, were the reason we had no points scored against us. Broncos right hand side attack had no hope. He knows just how long to stay on a player before giving away a penalty & was just always back there doing his best. He was never left caught out of position or laying on the ground. Full credit to him & the dogs, you taught & trained a true champion. 
annav3

annav3

SMH lovefest for him is getting ridiculous. (obviously retaining their khoder exclusive) 
RoostarGirl

RoostarGirl

This is what impressed me the most. 
buzz07

buzz07

No i think Sandow is in front of him. 
buzz07

buzz07

Agree with the above but it still is early on, thing that has surprised me is he hasnt missed a tackle in 3 games. Its a shame the dogs dont breed their own anymore. 
alchemist

alchemist

you wish to sign more Bulldogs?

anyway, the likes of Barba, Reynolds, Jackson, Finucane, Klemmer etc. have gone alright of late 
buzz07

buzz07

Alot to like about Klemmer he has been impressive thus far and living up to the expectations placed on him. 
alchemist

alchemist

last year i said Klemmer would need 2 years before he should play FG... but he looks like he belongs even though he is still only 19 years old 
chookdance

chookdance

hopefully he gets a bit of mongrel. a really good prospect though 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Oh.
Well it doesn't sound good for poor old Sonny then if that's the case. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

yeah Sandow will get his mates with guns involved if he has to ;) 
Rooster1

Rooster1

Guns? Lol. Maybe sharpened sticks? 
Sikk

Sikk

There's a lot like about this bloke - if we didn't have so many good young back rowers....... 
woodies

woodies

Give him a start for NSW. Now that would create some hype.

A Kiwi in SOO, now that would be somethig new.:spew: 
UGoodthings

UGoodthings

As I said before, he was unstoppable at the dogs, but now he is a master of the game. The pass he threw to rts is the best I have ever seen form a forward. Sbw you are our saviour!!!!! 
annav3

annav3

he was in sublime form tonight..off loads to perfection, and passing game too 
buzz07

buzz07

Crazy alright like imagine having a new south Welshmen playing for QLD 
UGoodthings

UGoodthings

It's not just that he offloads, he literally looks for a player who is in the best position to recieve the pass, then places it right on his chest with soft precision hands. All this is done in a split second as he is falling. Lots of players can offload with a dump out the back door hoping someone will pick it up, but sbw actually throws cut out passes as he is standing still with 4 blokes hanging off him. He is just getting better & better. God I hope he can stay injury free. 
RoostarGirl

RoostarGirl

He's a champion!! 
MrChook

MrChook

All the doomsdayers saying he'll be a waste of money are quickly being silenced thats for sure!! 
RoostarGirl

RoostarGirl

Where is Morkel? ;) 
SonicStar

SonicStar

Guess you don't watch much football other than roosters games. 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

DavidHatch - Was on last Sunday. Weir SS defeated Cairns West SS in Final. Not sure where Weir go next.
OutbackEyes - CAIRNS FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND 2014 Tassell Trophy Club Challenge Under 14’s Carnival will be held at Vico Oval, Irene St Mooroobool, Cairns...
ALX21 - RD 20 SquadsBulldogs15 D.MaroskeRaiders6 L.LewisBroncos5 E.Alick6 J.NikorimaCowboys6 T.Carucci7 C.Bambling11 C.Hess
Leblancboys - Carina have had a number of season ending injuries and a coaching crisis mid year which can hurt the boys. East have been struggling for ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
ALX21 - Cowboys should lock Marshall Hudson in for a few years. One to keep an eye on.

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168