The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Sonny Bill Williams

alchemist

alchemist

we over-achieved last season and now are missing one of our best props for the first couple months of the season, another prop is under an injury cloud and i have been told he will miss the first month of the season, have not improved our halves situation and have lost our best attacking player for an indefinite period

if we finished in top 4, i'd be stunned 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

I agree...which is why I honestly think you may be in a fight just to get a top 8 spot, let alone top 4. 
alchemist

alchemist

i think anywhere up to 12 teams have a legitimate shot at the top 8, with only a few guaranteed of playing September football (Storm, Rabbits etc.) 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

you won't be stunned if they finish top 4, you will be devastated ;) 
alchemist

alchemist

there was a distinct feel that everything was right with the world in 2012 --> Dogs minor premiers and Grand Finalists and winning both regular season clashes against the wooden spoon winning Eels 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

The Mayans were right! 
alchemist

alchemist

and we have a winner :lol: 
matthew

matthew

Storm and Roosters are assured of top 4.

SBW will be one of the standouts for 2013. 
buzz07

buzz07

MattO from your posts it's obvious your a massive SBW fan but it's gonna take a little bit more than individual brilliance for the roosters with a young and inexperience squad to make the finals but as long as we improve from the past 2 seasons it will a good year. 
Kramer

Kramer

I honestly can't see them making the 8 this season. I mentioned this last year. The Dogs reminded me of the Roosters in 2010. Over achieved with most players in career best form. Rode the momentum wave. Then in 2011 we had a terrible season and missed the 8

Now with Graham and Barba out for extended periods... 
RoostarGirl

RoostarGirl

SONNY Bill Williams can now rightly be called Money Bill Williams.

News Limited can reveal that Thursday night's season-opening blockbuster between the South Sydney Rabbitohs and Sydney Roosters will generate a staggering $2.65 million.

And most of that cash stems from the arrival of SBW.

It can also be revealed that rival NRL clubs will bank nearly $3 million this year thanks to Williams's extraordinary pulling power.

Gate-takings for Thursday night's game at Allianz Stadium - based on an expected attendance of 40,000 - will pass the $1 million mark.

Food and beverage will be worth about $500,000, while corporate hospitality and boxes will top $680,000.

Sixty of the 65 corporate suites have been sold.

The stadium's three dining rooms have also been sold out, pulling in another $200,000, while merchandise will pass $100,000.

Just 7000 tickets remain for what will be the biggest season-opener in years.

"All the stars have aligned," SCG Trust chief executive Jamie Barkley said.

"It will be a great way to kick off the NRL season."

At matches this season featuring Williams, crowds are expected to increase by an average of 6000 - representing a bonus of nearly $3 million for rival clubs.

Roosters officials believe their star-studded side will lift home crowds from 14,000 to 18,000 - record levels - through the year.

Club membership has increased by 25 per cent and has already matched the figures from 2012. Roosters merchandise is also ready to soar once Williams is given a jumper number.

Aside from Thursday night, the Roosters are also anticipating massive crowds for the round six match against Canterbury and the Anzac Day fixture against St George Illawarra, both at Allianz Stadium. With six home games in the first eight games, Roosters officials are ready to pounce financially.

"The biggest uptake in 2013 will be our gate budget," said Roosters chief operating officer commercial, Ted Helliar. "We are looking at record crowds for 2013 and our membership is going beautifully.

"It is due to the Sonny Bill factor but also the Michael Jennings factor, James Maloney factor, Mitchell Pearce factor, Anthony Minichiello and so on. We have a star-studded line-up.

"The players are excited and confident but are very clear we haven't done anything yet."

Asked about Williams's impact, Helliar said: "Sonny Bill is huge. His professionalism has been hugely impressive. His perception in the market place is completely wrong. We want him to be a Rooster forever."

NRL general manager of marketing and commercial, Paul Kind, added: "The Rabbitohs-Roosters rivalry has been around for 100 years. Sonny Bill brings a whole new level of profile though to this game. He will bring that profile to every game this year."

The Warriors are anticipating a crowd of around 40,000 for the Roosters' round two match against New Zealand at Eden Park.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/sonny-bill-williams-net-nrl-clubs-millions-of-dollars-this-season/story-e6frexnr-1226589485490 
Morkel

Morkel

So just as I've been saying. They're only interested in big names, headlines, and the resulting money it brings in for the club & sponsors. Football results are secondary. 
slip

slip

I think that story is a little bit exaggerated! 
Kramer

Kramer

Who says? The article focuses on the financial benefits. Others have focused on the playing benefits 
Morkel

Morkel

I say. And I agree with me. 
RoostarGirl

RoostarGirl

Why I'm welcoming home NRL's prodigal Son

Phil Gould

Now: Sonny Bill Williams returns to rugby league with the Roosters as a bona fide sporting brand, having succeeded in rugby union and boxing since then. Photo: Getty Images
In the February of season 2005, I published a column in this newspaper about a young man by the name of Sonny Bill Williams. This is just part of what I wrote:

''I was recently asked; if I could sign one player in the game today, who would it be and how much would I pay him? I replied, Sonny Bill Williams and he's worth $1 million a season. I have no doubts that this great young player would provide value for his club and for rugby league at that figure''.

I went on: ''Williams is the hottest property in the game today. But he is the latest in a long list of top-line players now finding how restrictive and unreasonable the NRL salary-cap system can be. Sonny Bill wants to stay with the Bulldogs but faces the very real prospect he may have to leave to earn his true contract value. Not only are the Bulldogs in danger of losing their star player but rugby league may lose him to another code if someone doesn't change this farcical situation.''

Then: Sonny Bill Williams was already a star with the Bulldogs back in 2005. Photo: Getty Images
Hmmm; that was eight years ago and history shows this particular column was quite eerily accurate.

Advertisement
Not long after, SBW trusted his ability, walked out on the Bulldogs, turned his back on rugby league and travelled the world to make his name and fortune.

In the process, he polarised people. Many criticised his move, branding him disloyal and a traitor. The aggrieved demanded he never be allowed back in the code. Others saw the commercial reality of his decision - a sportsman's career is finite and they have to fill their pockets while they have the chance.

SBW decided to look after himself. He took the view that 'it's my body, my career, my name - I will sell it on my terms'. I guess his return to rugby league raises questions like; can he once again become a team man? Can he stand shoulder to shoulder with others and fight for a common cause? Or, does SBW prefer to fight alone?

It must be said, the game of rugby league did survive, despite the loss of SBW, which proves no one is indispensable and the game is always bigger than the individual. The NRL went from strength to strength. His New Zealand Kiwis won the World Cup and international tri-series tournaments. The Bulldogs, as they have done at least twice a decade, fought their way back into premiership contention.

Having said that, I've always wondered what might have been had the big boy stayed in league.

In the early days of his career, you didn't need to be a genius to see the potential. Tall, athletic, strong; he was mobile, evasive and powerful. He had the long arms and legs, making him extremely difficult to handle. He could attract four or five defenders and hold them at bay before delivering the most miraculous of offloads. On the other side of the ball he could be equally as destructive with his defence.

SBW had the looks, the physique and the motivation; more importantly he had the ''game''.

I watched a little of his progress in rugby. He didn't get the ball anywhere near often enough to keep me interested and I don't think that game suited his rare talents. There were glimpses of his awesomeness but rugby could never showcase an athlete like SBW the way rugby league can.

For the record, I'm glad he's back. I missed SBW. Many people didn't agree with the manner of his departure. But I understood and believed it was a stand he needed to make. I admired his courage.

I am very excited he is back in rugby league and playing with the Sydney Roosters. I have no doubt he will be great for our game this season. Rugby league, not just the Roosters, will be a huge winner as a result of his return.

I'm going to watch him. I bet tens of thousands of other footy fans do, too. His stature in New Zealand will be a drawcard for league in that rugby-dominated country, as well.

SBW is one of those special players who can make a difference. He can inflict his talent and impose his will on the results of games. He can sell our game to the youth of Australia; and perhaps even the world. SBW is a promoter's dream.

This Thursday night's season opener between the Roosters and the Rabbitohs will be a blockbuster. We should have a sell-out crowd and record TV ratings. Why? SBW will be playing.

The Roosters in one week will be well on the way to recouping their investment, before a ball is kicked.

So powerful is the SBW influence, I believe the Sydney Roosters will become a serious premiership contender with him on their already impressive playing roster.

SBW has not come back to rugby league to fail. He is a proud young man who will do all in his power to prove himself in this environment. He stands alongside new teammates such as Anthony Minichiello, Mitchell Pearce, Michael Jennings, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, James Maloney, Luke O'Donnell, Martin Kennedy, Frank Paul Nuuausala, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Mitchell Aubusson. There is some serious talent and representative class experience in this bunch.

Youngsters on the rise, such as Boyd Cordner, Kane Evans, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Daniel Tupou, give Roosters' fans that added excitement about their team.

The Roosters can be guilty of inconsistency and being their own worst enemies. However, if they get on a roll early in the season, this club knows how to gather momentum. I think they are serious contenders in a competition that will be nowhere near as predictable as many believe it could be.

Personally, I'm just glad SBW is back playing rugby league. I hope it all goes well for him. I'm sure it will.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/why-im-welcoming-home-nrls-prodigal-son-20130303-2fepw.html#ixzz2MWjeuno2

Dedicated to you Morkel :) 
Morkel

Morkel

Gould just showing that as he ages, his relevance is waning and he needs to jump on a headline.

"A move he needed to make"..."I admired his courage". Pathetic, and a bit sad to see. 
alchemist

alchemist

would Gus be as glad had SBW signed for an NRL team other than the Roosters or Panthers? i think not

as always, i am stunned just what drivel gets published these days 
Morkel

Morkel

Prodigal Son. Everything I predicted is being vomited up. The final step is for someone to claim that the increased cap is all because SBW made the 'brave decision' to stand up for his rights. Just a matter of time. 
MrChook

MrChook

Tell ya what Morks. If you dislike the Roosters & SBW's return then don't watch the footy Thursday night. Let others who are anticipating this match enjoy it without having to put up with the constant whingeing. 
alchemist

alchemist

funnily enough, no one ever wishes to temper the hyperbole surrounding SBW's return, the "OMG" add, Gus' "it's all about SBW" etc. 
Morkel

Morkel

How about I put myself on a RLeague ban while it's on? 
MrChook

MrChook

Nah you're funny as hell on other parts of the forum, just your ad-nauseum criticism in this part is a little repetitive. You beginning to become like me in the souffs forum.:lol: 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

WHen do we get to see that again they are hilarious :lol: 
knitey

knitey

Is that you Saggy?:D 

Recent Rugby League Posts

OutbackEyes - The Venues and Match Details for next weekend's Connell and Meninga Cup semi-finals.The respective winners will meet in the state finals....
ALX21 - Also Dawson Cross made the Wide Bay team @eileen.
ALX21 - NYC RD 7 Squads Titans 17 J.Wedderburn-Parish Cowboys 17 C.Hess Broncos 2 E.Alick 6 J.Nikorima 7 W.Brimson 17 G.Fai
BobRiley - Did qld ever win a origin match after the hooter
showaheart - Any headgear is good headgear, my only advice is to buy something he wants to wear, the hardest thing I found with the young one's, is ge...
Footyfreak1971 - Yes it will be interesting to see I how many boys will be picked from the zone teams in 14s. I don't think we will see many, because ther...
grandad - I played for taxation in early 60's and i'm sure there was a team from mail exchange
Northqld - What about with the u/15 QAS team, are they too only made up of contracted players??? Not sure about that. Do they get to play at any ot...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168