The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Sonny Bill Williams

matthew

matthew

Politis doesn't care about any of that. He's a big name. 
RoostarGirl

RoostarGirl

They will be fierce rivals on the field tonight but, such is the friendship between Wallabies playmaker Quade Cooper and All Blacks sensation Sonny Bill Williams, the Rugby World Cup semi-final at Eden Park may be the last time they play each other.

While Cooper and Williams will be desperate to ensure their country remains in contention to win the tournament, they have a keen desire to play together and are even prepared to consider switching codes to do so. Williams has already been strongly linked with a move to Sydney Roosters next season and if he does return to the NRL then Cooper may follow in 2013.

”I’ve been in touch with him, he’s a good mate,” Williams said. ”But on the field it’s a different story. I want to win and he wants to win. I want to win for New Zealand, he wants to win for Australia. Outside of the field we’re really good mates and that’s how it will always be.”

Cooper said: ”I’ve sent him a couple of texts wishing him well, and I have been enjoying the way that he’s been playing. He’s showed through the World Cup he is a very talented player, a very special player. Every game that he’s played he’s been moved around, and each game he has excelled. It just shows what a talented athlete he is.”

The 26-year-old may now be set to return to Sydney as he is off contract with the New Zealand Rugby Union as soon as the All Blacks’ World Cup campaign ends, possibly tonight.

There was speculation during the week that he was set to join the Parramatta Eels, while The Sun-Herald has also learnt that Manly Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler had expressed an interest this year in luring Williams to Brookvale.

However, the Roosters are considered favourites if he returns to league and are also believed to be interested in Cooper, who grew up playing league alongside Roosters centre Shaun Kenny-Dowall. Cooper is contracted for next season but has regularly stated a desire to play in the NRL and signed only a one-year deal with the ARU to keep the possibility of playing alongside Williams.

Read more: http://www.zerotackle.com.au/rivals-teammates-4404/#ixzz1au3ZSe00 
Rsag85

Rsag85

If $BW returns to the NRL with the Roosters next year won't the Roosters have to pay out his final year of his contract with the Doogies? 
RoostarGirl

RoostarGirl

Nah, his contact would have ended next season with the dogs. 
Rsag85

Rsag85

So he is still contacted with the Doggies next year and they would have to release him of that contract. 
HeadlessChook

HeadlessChook

No, his contract with the Dogs finished when they negotiated the clearance (for want of a better word) for him to go and play in France. Part of that deal however, was that he couldn't play with another NRL club until his Bulldogs contract would have expired, which is the end of the 2012 season. So, if he was to sign with another NRL club, for next season, that club would need to negotiate some form of settlement with the Bulldogs which would not be part of the salary cap. Its a bit like the situation with Sam Burgess when you guys paid a fee to his English Super League club so that they would release him. 
grobbo73

grobbo73

Honestly I would love to see both Cooper and SBW playing in the NRL, both great talents and what a shot in the arm for the NRL, love them or hate them, both would put bums on seats. Cooper has been heavily criticised for his last couple of performances but it's hard when you play behind a pack of insipid forwards who couldn't pull the skin of a rice pudding as of late. 
UGoodthings

UGoodthings

Very true, it was obvious last nite. The Aussie forwards had repeat phases at the Kiwi line & were actually going backwards. They also were hammered in every scrum. Lucky the score was as close as it was. 
Rsag85

Rsag85

The NZ Warriors try to sign him a few years back but the Doggies block it until they payed a release fee. So he needs to get a release from his final year of his Doggie contract which ends at the end of next year. 
Morkel

Morkel

Pretty sure any release fee has to be included in the cap. 
alchemist

alchemist

SBW was contracted to the Dogs until the end of 2012 
Rsag85

Rsag85

That means his free to join any another club in 2013 unless they pay the Doggies a release fee 
UGoodthings

UGoodthings

I have a strong feeling we will have SBW playing for us next yr. We have made no signings for 2012 & have cut 400k with carney 400k with myles & prbably another 300k between linnett graham Anasta etc. They say it has all gone to contract upgrades, but i dont know who we would spend an extra mill upgrading. I imagine alot of that is heading SBW's way. 
Kramer

Kramer

Not sure we'd spend $ on another backrower when we are clearly in desperate need of halves/outside backs. I agree with having a lot more money under the cap to spend, but I suspect that will go towards recruiting an x factor in the backline (considering we lost Carney) 
Eelace

Eelace

Why wouldn't you put 3 or 4 on his back? 
Kramer

Kramer

Not quick enough 
HeadlessChook

HeadlessChook

I think you will find a fee paid to a club is not included in the cap. I'd bet a truck load that Souths didn't have to include the fee paid to St Helens for Burgess in their cap. Its not a player payment, its a payment to a club so is outside the cap. 
SonicStar

SonicStar

No its not part of the cap and he came from Bradford. 
Morkel

Morkel

I read that any monetary sum paid to release Buderis would have to be included in the cap, and I'm pretty sure the release fee for Eastwood to play for the Dogs had to be included. 
Rsag85

Rsag85

$BW re signed with NZ Rugby he just needs to find another Super Rugby side maybe 2013 with Cooper he would come to the Rooster. 
UGoodthings

UGoodthings

Oh I agree, I just think you will see him with us. Its not like our club to go into a season with a million left in their salary cap. There will be at least 1 more big name recruit & he is the biggest of them all. 
SonicStar

SonicStar

when did SBW re-signed with NZ rugby and how long for?

Link? 
Rsag85

Rsag85

Until 2012 one year deal

http://tvnz.co.nz/all-blacks/sonny-bill-williams-stay-in-new-zealand-4326023

Also said it yesterday afternoon on foxsports news 
robinson.will

robinson.will

Well thank god that rumor is dead, **** $BW we don't want him back. 
Rsag85

Rsag85

But his rumored to be coming back in 2013 with the new tv deal plus he wants to play with Q.Cooper 

Recent Rugby League Posts

Fromthenest - Frenchville SS will play Kingston SS in Qld Final.
ALX21 - Congrats to Sam Swift (Titans) for his debut.
KristinWatkins - Watch outstanding International Rugby sports South Africa v Argentina online free HD streaming live Present season. Watch this sport live...
Awks - And 2 years of the 8 my 2 nephews have been members.. Congratulations to the u12s in the finals win over nsw 26-6
sportsnews30 - It’s Australia vs New Zealand in the Bledisloe Cup on Saturday.The match is slated to start at 8 p.m. AEST (10 p.m. NZST, 10 a.m. GMT) at...
sportsnews30 - Taranaki vs Counties Manukau live stream Rugby 2014 online streaming & TV Channels. We must be ensure you the best online Rugby Live stre...
seaeagles - your post is a good while back now,but I think you are on to a good thing there.i am based on the southern tip of the central coast(ex-Sy...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181