The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Sonny Bill Williams

matthew

matthew

I said when SBW was still with the Bulldogs that he would be courted in a big way by the Roosters. 
MrChook

MrChook

You were wrong then weren't you as that never happened. 
Retread

Retread

he'll be right one day as every player he connects to the Roosters. 
SonicStar

SonicStar

Read the SBW threads in the Souths section when he was rumoured to come to Souths at the start of the season.
I said I didn't want him, way to much money and way to injury prone and hasn't played league in several seasons.
So have a clue of what you're talking about. 
Franko123

Franko123

No No No No No! If there is one thing the Roosters need it is more commitment and passion towards the jersey from the playing roster. With $BW you not only have no hope of this, but also sacrifice a large chunk of cap space not to mention he has a history of being quite injury prone. Would be a bad signing financially & culturally 
Maximus89

Maximus89

Lol funny how he ignored this. 
annav3

annav3

League's most hated player?

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 7:00 AM

Source: BigPond Sport
By Daniel Ramus

Sonny Bill Williams was one of the most talented forwards to ever play in the NRL, but he will forever be remembered for possibly the most treacherous act in Australian sporting history.

The context

In March 2007, Williams had agreed to a new deal with Canterbury for a further five years, worth an estimated $450,000 per season, which would keep him at the club from 2008-2012.

Williams was the star player for the Bulldogs in 2008. At the end of the 2007 season, the club lost its other two big-name forwards - Mark O'Meley and Willie Mason - to the Sydney Roosters, and halfback Brent Sherwin had signed with English Super League club Castleford. As a result, the onus was very much on Williams, then 22, to take a leadership role at a relatively young age so the club could rebuild into a premiership contender.

SBW had his differences with the club in the months leading up to his walkout. Reports suggested the Kiwi international was after more money given the sudden departure of Mason had freed up some space in the club's salary cap, and that he was furious that the club made him admit publicly he had problems with alcohol in 2007.

The theory

The main theory was Williams had been brainwashed by his controversial new manager Khoder Nasser, also the manager of outspoken boxer Anthony Mundine, who had supposedly driven him to the decision to break his contract.

In June 2008, Williams announced publicly that he would see out his contract with the Bulldogs, saying: "I now have a better understanding of the direction the club is heading and there's no question it's something I want to be a part of."

The betrayal

On July 26, 2008, just two days before being due to play for the Bulldogs, Williams boarded a plane to France - not even a year into a five-year contract - without telling a soul at Canterbury. He left to take up a rugby union career with French Top 14 club Toulon.

The fallout

Williams's unannounced departure sparked an absolute circus in Australia. Canterbury had vowed to stand up for their rights, given Williams had signed a contract, which, in CEO Todd Greenberg's words, had "absolutely no get-out clause".

Canterbury captain Andrew Ryan admitted he had sensed changes in Williams's thinking leading up to his departure, and questioned whether Sonny was "man enough" to make his own decisions. Coach Steve Folkes gave the impression he felt sympathy towards the whole situation rather than anger, saying that Sonny had simply let everyone down.

The Bulldogs didn't win another game in 2008 after Williams left the club, and ended up finishing with the wooden spoon.

The backlash

The incident sparked heavy reactions from various individuals within the rugby league media.
Leading Channel Nine commentator Phil Gould launched an attack on NRL CEO David Gallop in a heated interview on Triple M radio, questioning the NRL's unabated legal attack on Williams.
Former hardman Mark Geyer, who appears on Channel Nine program The Sunday Roast, labelled Williams's walkout a "dog act".
Williams's manager Nasser responded, saying: "Everyone knows he (Geyer) was on dope. I don't take too much comment from him, seriously. To refer to Sonny Bill as a dog says a lot about the dog that he is."
To give an idea of the magnitude of the story at the time, that interview with Nasser led Channel Nine News that night.

The settlement

After things had settled down, Williams defended his actions, saying: "I stood up for myself, for what I believe in. I stood up for all those other players that are sitting at home. I had to have balls to do what I've done. I'm no coward, you know."

He played one trial game for Toulon, but the Bulldogs had obtained a NSW Surpreme Court injunction preventing him from playing again. If he had have played a second time, the potential consequences he faced were losing personal assets in Australia, including his $1.3 million Caringbah home, and even a jail sentence.

Just over three weeks after his departure, Mundine, a personal friend of Williams, paid the Bulldogs a settlement fee of $850,000 to go no further with legal proceedings.
In September 2008, Zoo Weekly magazine named Williams as Australia's most hated person in an annual poll. He even beat Bali bomber Amrozi to the unwanted title.
Williams left Toulon for Super Rugby's Crusaders in June 2010. He made his debut for the All Blacks in November.
The views in this article are those of the author and not necessarily those of BigPond Sport.

http://www.bigpondsport.com/leagues-most-hated-player/tabid/91/newsid/70796/default.aspx 
SonicStar

SonicStar

Myles has been there best player for the last couple of seasons.
He might have done some bad shit off the field.
But he has a massive motor on him in both attack and defense.
If they lose Myles they will go backwards not forwards.
He is a must keep player for The Roosters. 
UGoodthings

UGoodthings

I agree Myles is a handy player, but as a lock he is a failure. Should be moved into second row or to prop. He has no real offload ability, not like a Gallen or infact a SWB. I know his a workhorse, but the good no 13's do more then that. That position is wasted on him. We need a backline more then forwards, but we still need 1 or 2 of those free-running forwards who also have ball skills, Symonds could turn into 1 & SWB would be another good 1. Would love to see us keep Myles & put him back in the front row, get rid of Ryles & his bad back & move Anasta on too. I know the Anasta thing will piss alot of our fans off, but he just doesnt fit any position anymore. He is too slow for a 5/8 & he doesnt have the workrate of a lock, & cant make the yards of a second rower. 
buzz07

buzz07

Are you serious? Bad management! Coming from a souffs supporter LMFAO@U! u guys are infamous for the worst signings and re signings (sutton, Merrit in recent times) in the history of modern rugby league. Rusty has got no fking idea and Richo well I hope they keep him 4ever ;). 
UGoodthings

UGoodthings

Dont find u or the Souths forum that interesting to go looking. 
RoostarGirl

RoostarGirl

Which player of ours does have the work rate?

To replace myles with sbw is just silly. 
matthew

matthew

Proves I'm absolutely correct and the Roosters have been exploring SBW avenues for several years. 
UGoodthings

UGoodthings

Thats what i was saying, would love to see us keep myles & put him back in the front row, get rid of the others i named & add to that Riddell. 
Mr.Poultry

Mr.Poultry

I see signing SBW as a massive step backwards, he's a quality player but has an awful attitude, what Roosters need to realize, is that rugby league and success in the NRL is about [U]passion[/U]. When we were doing well, Carney had something to play for, as did the rest of the team, that thing they were playing for was respect.

Getting rid of Myles (one of most passionate players) and signing a disloyal $BW would embarrass me as a supporter and the Chooks as a club.

Tom Symonds has resigned and now we need to secure Martin Kennedy. 
annav3

annav3

Martin Kennedy has to be a priority 
Mr.Poultry

Mr.Poultry

No doubt... 
Kramer

Kramer

Kennedy has been secured already 
alchemist

alchemist

i think Myles is exactly the type of player the Roosters need to play as a back rower in the middle of the park

although playing in the second row, Anasta plays as - for lack of a better description - a second five eighth on the left... but Anasta has always been a strong defender and can handle his second row duties

M. Aubusson is a wide running second rower on the right who can play in the centres if need be

Myles in the middle provides the defensive solidity and workrate that the Roosters need... very experienced, hard worker, plays a lot of minutes etc... i would also think him playing prop now might be an issue since he has trimmed down over the last 2 years 
Kramer

Kramer

Noone is disputing that. There's obviously an issue with Myles. Either we aren't happy with him, or he's not happy with us. He will be a big loss, but we have some good depth in the backrow. The re-signing of Symonds might be the best indication of Myle's permanent replacement... 
Mr.Poultry

Mr.Poultry

Until when? Good news :) 
alchemist

alchemist

he was described as a failure as a lock above 
Kramer

Kramer

Sorry my mistake. Educated supporters don't dispute it lol 
waldo1961

waldo1961

Yes, there's a reason for the Roosters usually getting what they want. The Schu was a Roosters great and has missed all of the salary cap rorts that have happened in the past 20 years. Anyone else would be sacked. Ever see how many 50/50 calls the Roosters get? They take any morally corrupt players as long as they can play, and can always fit them into their rubbery cap. The cash from Nick Politis is a major reason you get what you want. I hope SBW plays for you guys, it will be front page stuff for all of the wrong reasons, again. BTW, if you don't want Jake Friend, please send him to the Raiders, we need him. Myles is one of your best, but Ryles is akin to Brett White at the Raiders - they're so soft. 
Kramer

Kramer

50/50 calls that go our way? In case you've been asleep for the past few seasons, we have been one of the most heavily penalised teams and have received close to the least amount of penalties in the comp 

Recent Rugby League Posts

ALX21 - Semi FinalJ.Nikorima and Fai named on the bench for the Broncos.
KHemsleyrulz - I realise this thread is quite old, but I'm chasing a copy of this book myself - does anyone know where I can find one?
eagle10 - there is a team list on stingers site but its versing a Toowoomba rep side
surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
bossshoel - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
bossshoel - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181