The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Rnd3 - Roosters v Broncos

MrChook

MrChook

Quietly confident for a win here.

Official Line-ups named. No suprises for the Chooks. Broncs have named Hodges but he is in serious doubt with a hammy and changes are expected:

[h=4]Roosters[/h]1 Anthony Minichiello (c)
2 Daniel Tupou
3 Michael Jennings
4 Shaun Kenny-Dowall
5 Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
6 James Maloney
7 Mitchell Pearce
8 Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
9 Jake Friend
10 Sam Moa
11 Boyd Cordner
12 Sonny Bill Williams
13 Frank-Paul Nuuausala

Interchange
14 Daniel Mortimer
15 Martin Kennedy
16 Mitchell Aubusson
17 Luke O'Donnell
18 Dylan Napa

[h=4]Broncos[/h]1 Corey Norman
2 Josh Hoffman
3 Jack Reed
4 Justin Hodges
5 Lachlan Maranta
6 Scott Prince
7 Peter Wallace
8 Ben Hannant
9 Andrew McCullough
10 Sam Thaiday (c)
11 Alex Glenn
12 Matt Gillett
13 Corey Parker

Interchange
14 Ben Hunt
15 Mitchell Dodds
16 David Stagg
17 Scott Anderson
18 Dunamis Lui
19 Nick Slyney 
View all 27 comments
Gifted

Gifted

Can someone pls tell me where Aiden Guerra has gone? Just dropped? Or is he injured? 
rabbitoh_fan

rabbitoh_fan

C'mon the Roosters.

Play like you did against us and you are in with a win. 
MrChook

MrChook

I believe he's got some sort of knee infection and can't play. Not sure when he is due back. 
Kramer

Kramer

And thus Robinson has avoided a selection dilemma. Not sure who would miss out when you add Guerra to that squad of 18! 
Kramer

Kramer

We always seem to struggle against Brisbane at the SFS, even when we're expected to win! 
MrChook

MrChook

A good headache to have I suppose.

You'd think Aubs is playing well enough to keep his possie. LOD & Kennedy are the prop rotation so I'm guessing they'll stay.

FPN could be a possibility to lose his spot but I feel it may be between Guerra & Cords to fight it out. 
Kramer

Kramer

FPN is not in our best starting 17, IMO 
chookdance

chookdance

i'd have to agree with that. I'd like to see cordner at lock aubbo and guerra are more effective out wide and cordner is a tougher ball runner so he would work better up the guts. I was really impressed with LOD on the weekend 
MrChook

MrChook

Guerra & Cords are definitely our future but right now I have a feeling Robbo likes FPN's size and play making ability which is keeping him in the squad.

Whatever combination he goes with we can rest easy that we have good depth if something goes awry. 
MrChook

MrChook

Looks like Hodges hammy hasn't come good and is out. Gillett to centre, Stagg into the run-on side.

SBW & Jennings will hopefully have a field day running at Gillett & Prince. There right side defence has huge question marks and its where a lot of our attack must focus on. 
Morkel

Morkel

Sounding more like Stagg to start at right centre & rotate during the match with Gillett. Stagg should hopefully defend well, but expecting Scummy Bill to try to work over Prince all night. 
MrChook

MrChook

Makes sense. Stagg protecting Prince does sound a bit safer for you guys. 
annav3

annav3

[h=1]Moa, Mortimer find a happy place at Roosters[/h]
http://images.smh.com.au/2013/03/22/4133502/art-Mortimer-620x349.jpg Sense of belonging: Daniel Mortimer at Newtown. Photo: Brendan Esposito

SYDNEY Roosters prop Sam Moa and utility Daniel Mortimer credited a dose of old-fashioned faith for allowing them to return from the brink and make their marks in a star-studded team.

It's only early in the season but Mortimer, who finished last year in the NSW Cup, and Moa, who went to England four years ago after playing first grade for Cronulla, believe ''being wanted'' has helped rejuvenate their careers.

The pair, who'll play against a Brisbane team that's without centre Justin Hodges on Saturday night at Allianz Stadium, say they just needed a bit of faith. Mortimer gained his from coach Trent Robinson, Moa from assistant coach Craig Fitzgibbon.

''At the start of the pre-season I had a little bit of interest from [other] clubs but Trent made it known from day one he wanted me here and I'd fulfil my contract here,'' Mortimer said. ''From that very first day I felt wanted and pleased I was going to get an opportunity here this year. Trent showed that faith. I had a big off-season, have started really well and if I can continue to be a part of a successful side like this I'll be very happy.''

Mortimer, who starred in 2009 when he helped Parramatta make the grand final, has had a roller-coaster ride ever since he was considered one of the code's boom boys. He was dropped by the Eels to Wentworthville, joined the Roosters but was sent midway through last season to Newtown. However, he credited the stint with the Jets for helping him to rediscover his groove.

''I took a lot of confidence out of Newtown,'' he said. ''You'd get dropped from here one week and it felt like the world was going to fall in, but you'd go back to Newtown and be treated like a star.

''I gained plenty from captaining the Jets and playing halfback. I learned a lot about myself and it was definitely an experience I wouldn't change. Now, I find being looked upon as a valued member of the team is a great feeling.''

Moa, who will be pitted against Brisbane's Sam Thaiday, went to England four years ago as a front-rower in ''poor shape'' needing a challenge. He ''jumped'' at the opportunity to join the Roosters, which came because of the relationship he'd forged with Fitzgibbon at Hull.

''It's been long and a bit frustrating,'' Moa said of his journey. ''But the experiences I've had to go through shaped me as the player I am today. 'Fitzy' knew I wanted to come back and he pushed it. I had a smile on my face for a month when the offer came through.
''I'm just grateful to be back. It was nice flying under the radar as I tried to get my foot in the door and I intend to keep it that way. We have a lot of big names in the side and I'm just happy to contribute.''

Meanwhile, Roosters captain Anthony Minichiello admitted the omission of Hodges, due to a hamstring injury, was good news for the tri-colours. ''It's good for us … he's a top-class player,'' he said

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/moa-mortimer-find-a-happy-place-at-roosters-20130322-2glbj.html#ixzz2OGlZM2EZ

UGoodthings

UGoodthings

We got the points. But there is something still not clicking. Individual players look brilliant, but aren't combining well. I strongly believe we have the right side to win a comp, but they are in the wrong positions. Tupou is a centre everyday of the week. He breaks the line & looks to offload in every run. On the other hand skd is performing poorly in the centres. He never try's to beat his man on the outside. His only move now is to stop & step back on the inside. For mine he is a typical winger trying to be a centre. Rts is being wasted out on the right hand wing, because skd never runs a proper line & gives him any ball on the outside. Rts may as well not even be there in attack. In my opinion shift rts to Jennings wing. He is a fabulous support player & is rarely out of position when a break is made. Put tupou to right centre & move skd to the wing. Honestly our attack will improve dramatically if Robinson does this. 
MrFourex

MrFourex

The better team won .......congrats. 
MrChook

MrChook

Our best defensive effort in years. Mind you the Broncos attack wasn't all that flash but in any event, the amount of defense we had in our red zone and to come away with nil against was outstanding.

Our back rowers in Cordner and SBW were awesome. Moa keeps impressing and JWH was a beast.

I thought Maloney was great, would like to see Pearce play a bit better though.

I've just about had enough of SKD. Offered little in attack and is defensively clueless. Time to look at other options. 
RoostarGirl

RoostarGirl

It's gonna take us weeks before combinations start clicking, that was always expected. Still the defence was outstanding considering we made an extra 120 tackles more.

Maloney was great but my MOTM was SBW, he involved in just about everything tonight. Friend I thought had a much better game to last week. Tupou is a good player, but he does not know how to hold the ball, it is happening each week.

Jennings one of the best centres I have seen at our club but geez he certainly knows how to bomb tries at the same time. Has to know how to pick his moments better.

Agree RTS is wasted, honestly won't matter what side he's on, cause either way he's playing out of position, for someone who should be retired by now. SKD looks lost out there, he wasn't too bad in attack but defensively he is making costly errors at time. He's down on confidence but he should be back soon. no doubt our left edge is where we are most dangerous, considering in the past it has been our right side.

Pearce short kicking game needs major improvement, his long kicking game in the second half was quite good. 
MrChook

MrChook

Pearce has never had a good short kicking game, he just seems to be one of those guys with a heavy boot and lacks the deft touches. Probably best to let Maloney take charge when in attacking position on the final play. 
Ebi

Ebi

Great heart shown, but SKD has too go. His defence is a disgrace,offers jack on attack. Not sold on Tupoa, looks lost on defence and his handling is crap. 
dalmont

dalmont

Great defence something that has troubled us in the past two seasons . Tupou must learn to hold the ball dont know what can be done there, maybe back to Newtown for a stint bring in Oldfield who has the experience to give jennings the help he needs,SKD dont know whats happening there is not playing anywhere near his best, SBW getting better each week JWH outstanding as usual Pearce and Moloney will improve their combination with time.The Broncos were as all broncos sides are fully committed at all times and did very well to hold us to 8 anyone who writes them off will be playing with fire. The refereeing was a bit questionable for both sides hope old problems are'nt creeping in there as it seemed the boys in pink had a good start to the season.:eek: 
chookdance

chookdance

i'm pretty sure tupou would be worse in the centres than skd if they were on the same side there would be points scored through them all day. i'm pretty sure once moga is fit he'll go straight onto that left wing. i do agree that rts is wasted. 
Sikk

Sikk

He could start by respecting the pill a bit more. He has a habit of running with the ball in one hand, even when there is no need for an offload. Tupou is a beast waiting to explode, he just needs to tuck the ball in securely, put his head down and plow through the defense when hitting the ball up from our own half and watch his stats climb. I suspect he might be a bit low on confidence, and trying to overplay it a bit.
Jennings low quality offloads coming 2 paces late, and under pressure have coloured the stats also. With the right passes Tupou has 2-3 more tries to his name and us chook fans love him.

P.S. Whats with the seppo spell checker on this board? 
annav3

annav3

Moa's stats have been impressive, where did he come from? was he in your Toyota Cup team? 
RoostarGirl

RoostarGirl

Came over from England, forgot which team 
RoostarGirl

RoostarGirl

he fear for Brisbane fans was that Justin Hodges' absence against the Sydney Roosters would be terminal. They were right. Without Hodges, the Broncos' attack never got going. In the opening two games of the season, Hodges registered three try assists and two line break assists.
He is an out-and-out match-winner. Contrast that with halfback Scott Prince. In three games, Prince is yet to register a try assist, line break or line break assist. Asked about the Hodges' factor after the game, coach Anthony Griffin told Triple MMM: "It's a factor but it's not an excuse."
The Broncos had no right to lose against the Roosters. In the second half alone, they enjoyed 58 percent possession. The Roosters made 402 tackles, the Broncos 284. It was a mirror-image of round two when the Broncos had no ball but beat St George Illawarra. Only this time the Roosters were heroic. Roosters coach Trent Robinson was the defensive genius behind the club's 2010 grand final charge.
Last year, they conceded a whopping 626 points. On Saturday night, the Broncos couldn't manage one line break despite all that possession.
"Thats just come down to how tight we really are," Waerea-Hargreaves said. "We talk about having each other's back and the tightness of the group. It's trying to build this brotherhood. We have so many guys that are all over the place. When we come together, we take advantage of our time together. We really enjoy each other's company. My missus blows up because I go into training two hours early. I just want to be around the boys. I think it's important to communicate and connect with the boys you play with."

Team of the week

Sydney Roosters - For the second week in a row, rugby league was blessed with an outstanding defensive performance. A week after Brisbane fended off St George Illawarra, the Roosters did the same to the Broncos. Kudos.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/opinion/the-weekend-wash-up/story-e6frg7w6-1226605081608

Kramer

Kramer

Unfortunately I missed the game (and haven't seen a replay yet). But boy was I shocked when I saw we kept a side to NIL!!! 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

ALX21 - Preliminary FinalJ.Nikorima and Fai named on the bench for the Broncos.
seaeagles - nothing sensible to say ,you poor excuse for a human fastwater! get a brain & you will be dangerous!
KHemsleyrulz - I realise this thread is quite old, but I'm chasing a copy of this book myself - does anyone know where I can find one?
eagle10 - there is a team list on stingers site but its versing a Toowoomba rep side
surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
bossshoel - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181