The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Rd 1 : Roosters V Souths

michael.tull

michael.tull

Add Cordner & LOD to the side, cut the penalties & some more game time for Mortimer - and that's a very good footy team right there.

Aubisson is a much under rated player and maybe should get SKD's spot.

JWH was great. He's a match for sam burgess - which is high praise in my book. 
RoostarGirl

RoostarGirl

The first try to be fair was probably the fault of RTS but yeah you could tell he was really looking for guidance from SKD and as a consequence both were never on the same page. On the other side, Jennings and Tupou defence was solid 
professional

professional

I thought JWH played quite well. I've never been a big fan but he played well last night. FPN looked alright too but while his ball skills looked really good, his runs were pretty poor.

Pearce was really poor; he has probably copped more stick than he deserved but his decision-making was still really bad. That first try was a complete fluke on Pearce's part. The Roosters had a great set up going with the five-eight standing deep and forwards on the inside to suck in the defenders, then after the two decoys run their lines and leave a massive overlap Pearce tries to pass it straight through the decoys. He would have bombed that try if it wasn't for a lucky bounce (off Te'o I think). 
woodies

woodies

I agree with all this except JWH. I thought he was found wanting last night and his second half display was very ill-disciplined. Too busy trying to get square with Issac Luke. Although in his defence he lacked support from someone to share the load. Roosters need to learn that you can't operate with only one 'bookend'.

Mini was the best in a losing side. Can't believe some thought he was finished. 
MrChook

MrChook

I don't recall JWH giving away a penalty. To say he was very ill disciplined last night is just wrong. Can't say the same for some of his teammates however (Friend).

Mini was solid but he dropped a couple of crucial balls. I think it was SBW who drew in a couple of defenders and he put an inside ball onto Mini and he dropped it cold. Another line break oppurtunity squandered which you simply can't afford to do, especially when you start falling behind on the score board.

Its funny how under the high ball Mini has some of the best hands in the comp yet when a ball is passed to him his hands turn to feet. 
Kramer

Kramer

JWH was one of our best players last night. Maybe you had him confused with someone else 
RoostarGirl

RoostarGirl

What was Pearce exactly suppose to do?

We were dominated in the middle all night. We were never in any good field position, not to mention the dropped ball or the constant 9 penalties either. He came up with 3 break assists, that's how much souths got altogether. 
Kramer

Kramer

Thinking back you're right. But I know RTS came rushing in because initially SKD went rushing in, then changed his mind and turned back out. By that time RTS had already made a decision to rush in because he had no confidence in SKD making the tackle. Poor communication between the two 
annav3

annav3

yes I thought it was the best I have seen from JWH and Aubisson in a long time.

JWH just needs to maintain that form week to week. 
Kramer

Kramer

I agree. I don't think Pearce had a bad game. He threw some nice passes. I dont know any halve who could dominate based on last nights games stats 
RoostarGirl

RoostarGirl

I thought he was one of our better players but the constant rubbish he gets is so over done. The one time our team did put pressure on there pack, reynolds kicked it on the full!

Thought a lot of the times he managed to find space in his kicks too where as Reynolds kept finding it to our fullback. 
southsport

southsport

A mistake letting Perret go I think. 
RoostarGirl

RoostarGirl

RTS is far better then Perrett, So is Moga who is injured. What both of those players lack right now is experience. That only comes in time. 
chookdance

chookdance

i don't know about far better thats a big call, his defense is far and away better. the winger has to follow his centre but not when the centre makes a tackle and he still flys in. He will learn more about the style as time goes on. should've scored that try though 
andrewt

andrewt

LOL 45K capacity 35K turned up, someone was having a lend at all of us. Anyway good roll up and niced to see so many people turn out for the opening game of the season. 
knitey

knitey

Bit harsh on Mortimer I feel Mr C, he should have been brought on earlier, I thought he showed some form and certainly worth more game time. 
MrChook

MrChook

I agree, Morts needs a lot more game time than the last 8 minutes. I scored him low because he hardly played, not because he was poor when he came on. 
knitey

knitey

Fair enough, I misunderstood your post, I'd love to see him given more time, he appears to have matured and it speaks heaps about his character that after a year of playing mainly NSW cup, he is still sticking in there and giving his all, he could turn out to be a hidden gem for the Chooks IMO. 
saints

saints

Halves not strong - seemed an issue out wide in defence. With a bit more ball and a few more penalties they might have gone better. Souths were strong - but the penalties certainly helped. 
buzz07

buzz07

After last nights game i personally believe the Roosters will take a few rounds for combinations to start working and the team to gel and the same goes for SBW he needs a few games under his belt but IMO i beleive he will play an important part in our 2013 campaign. On RTS he is not a winger and should be moved to fullback and mni to the wing. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

Of course he will. He left Parramatta and those players usually end up being stars for other clubs. Yet if he stays at Parramatta he takes them into the Quagmire, Its a lose/lose situation for poor parra :( 
matthew

matthew

Roosters will get better as the season progresses. A lot of glitz and glamour about their season and the hype did beat them in the end. Souths were too professional and relentless. McGuire has them into a well-fined unit.

With Jennings, Maloney and SBW they have three brilliant individual players who can score them the points they missed out on last year. Jennings despite one bad pass was all class. SBW had a lot of pressure on him last night and will do much better in future rounds. I know he shined for Canterbury in his debut game but he was playing right centre outside Sherwin (the no.2 halfback at the time), he wasn't that well known, the opposition didn't turn up and he had trials under his belt.

The forwards got on a good roll early, but like last year can be worn down and as a result of that the penalties went against them. Souths were very patient and waited for the pack to tire. Robinson needs to address this, but their pack is very good when on top.

Mortimer was very sharp when he was on the field and the Roosters need to give him more game time.

Weaknesses for the Roosters appear to be Minichiello, Pearce and Friend.

Minichiello been a legend for the Roosters over the years and an unbelievable servant to the Roosters, but the role of the fullback has changed and maybe time for Minichiello to change to the wing.

Pearce was out played in every department by Reynolds last night.

Friend is a goer but lacks the class of Luke and other hookers going around and falls off tackles too easy.

Robinson has the talent both youth and experience at his disposal just needs to make some tough decisions and get the balance right.

Roosters still top 4. 
RockyLaurieFan

RockyLaurieFan

Agree 95%, I am 99% certain you will make top 8 (you never know what can happen in a year) but top 4 is a big ask. 
RoostarGirl

RoostarGirl

At what round will Robinson realise this ? :( 
buzz07

buzz07

Fair assessment and i agree with most it, accept the top 4 finish imo 7 or 8 is more likely. 

Recent Rugby League Posts

Fromthenest - Does anyone know how the Northern Quad series has gone? Or when it is on?
OutbackEyes - CAIRNS FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND 2014 Tassell Trophy Club Challenge Under 14’s Carnival will be held at Vico Oval, Irene St Mooroobool, Cairns...
ALX21 - RD 20 SquadsBulldogs15 D.MaroskeRaiders6 L.LewisBroncos5 E.Alick6 J.NikorimaCowboys6 T.Carucci7 C.Bambling11 C.Hess
Leblancboys - Carina have had a number of season ending injuries and a coaching crisis mid year which can hurt the boys. East have been struggling for ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
ALX21 - Cowboys should lock Marshall Hudson in for a few years. One to keep an eye on.

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168