The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

2013 Line Up

professional

professional

Yes but there is more than one way to fix a problem. Discipline might have been the main cause of leaking points but you can still improve your defence by selecting better personnel, even if it doesn't address the underlying cause.

Because honestly I don't think you are going to be able to fix the discipline problem this season. All the main offenders are still there (and I don't really buy the rationale that giving them leadership positions will make them more responsible) and you've added two prolific offenders in Maloney and O'Donnell. Even Williams gives away his fair share of penalties and dropped balls (although he isn't that bad). I suspect the Roosters will still have massive problems with penalties and turnovers. In that situation, adding better fringe defenders may be the best approach until Robinson can bang some heads together.

Anyway, I actually think the Roosters will concede points because a lot of them can't tackle, not just because of the discipline problems. SKD and Jennings are both very poor defenders and Maloney is awful. Even Pearce - despite the wraps he gets from Roosters' fans - can be quite suss. On the fringes the 2013 Roosters squad has some very poor defenders. Putting Aubusson out there would be a significant improvement to the right edge. 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

No salary cap = No dramas for Uncle Nick.

I see Pearce has just extended his contract at Bondi.

Shocking week for the Roosters 
Rooster1

Rooster1

Enjoy your spoon. 
alchemist

alchemist

very good recruitment by the Roosters after a disappointing 2012 campaign 
buzz07

buzz07

I agree absolutely shocking but could be worse, we could be the dragqueens and not get the coach we want (ballamy) the Halfback we want (Pearce) and have a fairy named as the captain (Creagh) and still have a milkman as the 5/8 (Soward) and a coach that will be lucky to be around come round 6 (Price). Come to think of it I think I will throw a lazy 50 on the dragqueens 4 the spoon. 
annav3

annav3

besides boy wonder do the others have ball playing ability? which forwards will be on the bench for impact? 
Rooster1

Rooster1

Ehh not really. Not sure about LOD but besides maybe Cordner there wouldn't be much. 
annav3

annav3

I am a fan of Aiden Guerra would he get a bench spot? is Frank Paul Nuuaasala still around? it is hard to work out roosters playing rosters this off season..the bench may be a bit of a weakness 
annav3

annav3

VERDICT
If the Roosters reach the grand final, it would stun. But more than a few good judges are privately tipping they have top-four potential. They made all the right moves in the off-season, but consistency has been a rare character trait at the glamour club for years.

X-FACTOR
Michael Jennings

From Sonny Bill to Mitchell Pearce, it's an X-factor-a-thon at the Roosters this season. the most intriguing X-Factor is Generation Y centre Michael Jennings. On his day, and as he showed for NSW, his explosive pace offf the mark is lethal. When he's interested. Do you think Penrith coach Ivan Cleary would've let him go if the mercurial centre didn't have some head issues?

ROOKIE MONSTER
Kane Evans (http://nrlfantasy.foxsports.com.au/ SuperCoach price: 87,500 )
While all the attention has been on last year's Arthur Beetson Medallist Roger Tuivasa-Sheck as the side's under-20s player of the year, look out for fellow NYC prodigy Kane Evans. The young prop still has to grow into his skin, but the word around the Roosters is that he is set to make a huge impact this year. Also keep an eye out for young frontrower, Dylan Naper.

PREDICTION: Eighth

GAINS
Michael Jennings (Panthers), James Maloney (Warriors), Sam Moa (UK), Michael Oldfield (Manly), Sonny Bill Williams (Rugby), Nafe Seluini (Panthers), Samisoni Langi (Bulldogs)

LOSSES
Braith Anasta (Tigers), Justin Carney (UK), Joseph 'BJ' Leilua (Knights), Mose Masoe (Panthers), Peni Tagive (Retired), Sam Perrett (Bulldogs, mid-season), Anthony Mitchell (Cowboys, mid-season), Curtis Rona (Cowboys)

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/your-2013-nrl-season-guide-everything-you-need-to-know-about-sydney-roosters/story-fn2mcuj6-1226575164480#ixzz2KsFOARtj 
MrChook

MrChook

I like Guerra too. Others prefer Aubusson.

I'd have Frank Paul the Wrecking Ball off the bench as our impact player but its do or die for him IMO. He can be such a damaging ball runner but he was often mis-used by Smith and was ineffective. If FPN fails to provide a significant impact early on this season well then he shouldn't be there.

The LOD signing has everyone scratching their heads. We have such a gun back row that I might have to agree with Senor's suggestion and that he be used in the prop rotation.

I don't think our bench will be weak. We have a multitude of quality back rowers with multiple variations Robinson could use. Lets say our starting line up is what RLW has suggested then we will have a bench of - Seluini (hooker) and FPN (impact forward). Then for the last two possies you can choose from Guerra, Aubs, Tasi, Moa, Evans, Cherrington, Bosden. All, except for Kane Evans have plenty of first grade experience. 
annav3

annav3

what are your thoughts on Jake Friend? his role last year was pretty much a work horse. I cant recall does he have any creativity? Smithie may have killed that aspect from him.. 
MrChook

MrChook

A real workhorse as a defender. He notches up 40 or 50 tackles regularly. Not so good in attack. His service from dummy half is ok but could be better and his darts out of dummy half are just average.

Smith played him at hooker, then moved him to lock and brought Seluini on. I'd prefer if Robinson lets the back rowers do their thing and Friend gets a breather for 20 mins each game. 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

I knew we were on the same wavelength 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Friend is much more than a workhorse IMO, hopefully the coach recognises this. 
RoostarGirl

RoostarGirl

@RLW_Mole: BREAKING: Anthony Cherrington has just agreed to terms with @PenrithPanthers for 2013 and beyond #Moleyscoop 
MrChook

MrChook

Hope he gets a run there. Also hope he stays healthy too. 
chookdance

chookdance

this is what i reckon the round 1 team is gonna look like.
1. Mini
2. RTS
3. Jennings
4. SKd
5. Tupou
6. Maloney
7. Pearce
8. JWH
9. Friend
10. Kennedy
11. Guerra
12. Aubbuson
13. Cordner
14. Seluni
15. SBW
16. O'donnell
17. FPN/Tasi

i reckon they might ease sonny and o'donnell into it. 
UGoodthings

UGoodthings

Good win boys in trial v manly, beat them 20-4. Great effort very good play by Jennings & tupou down the left hand side. Formed a really good combo down there. Almost cemented their spots on the left hand side. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Minichiello- wing or fullback? 
UGoodthings

UGoodthings

Played about 35 minutes at fullback apparently, then rts took over. Not sure if mini came back on. 
UGoodthings

UGoodthings

Got news from a mate at the game. 
RoostarGirl

RoostarGirl

I'm so happy we bought Jennings, he was great, especially in defence. Him and Tupou had a great combination, IMO has secured a wing spot.

Best thing to come out from the night was our goal line defence. It was outstanding. Also Sam Moa looks to be a great buy for the club, was solid in both defence and attack. The usuals cordner, RTS, Kennedy also played well. 
MrChook

MrChook

Sam Moa for a bench spot RG? 
HeadlessChook

HeadlessChook

He's paying $101 to be the NRL's leading try scorer....I think he's worthy a lazy tenner 
RoostarGirl

RoostarGirl

Big chance of it happening. 

Recent Rugby League Posts

seaeagles - nothing sensible to say ,you poor excuse for a human fastwater! get a brain & you will be dangerous!
ALX21 - Semi FinalJ.Nikorima and Fai named on the bench for the Broncos.
KHemsleyrulz - I realise this thread is quite old, but I'm chasing a copy of this book myself - does anyone know where I can find one?
eagle10 - there is a team list on stingers site but its versing a Toowoomba rep side
surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
bossshoel - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181