The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Who would be on your shopping list?

DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

If you were Doust or Craig Young which players off contract this year would be on your shopping list and how high would you goto secure their signitures? 
View all 28 comments
kit

kit

Weyman, Ah Mau, Quinlan, Rein and possibly Cummins and Runciman.

Jarrod Croker from Canberra would be a good replacement for Cooper. 
rumackay

rumackay

As much as I'd love to have JT here that pretty much sums it up for me, although I'm sure we'll be told we're wrong soon enough :lol: 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

Cooper is one of the best defensive centers ever. Croker is too small and his defence is not good enough. I would rather play Brett Morris left center when Coops goes. I think B Morris would be a much better center than Croker. 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

When I said shopping list, I meant players who are not already at our club.

One does not count resigning a current player as buying. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

what if other clubs put out offers and they stay? 
rumackay

rumackay

That didn't take long :lol:

But we both agree with Coops being a great defensive centre though, no argument with me there 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

Well that is the chance we have to take. If we don't sign someone in the first place then we are no chance of having them play for us, are we? 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Josh Papalii. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

That's stupid, we always need to consider who we want to keep so we know who we want to buy. That includes players in the lower grades as well as those already established.

Anyway, we will need halves and centres regardless of who we keep. So I will say Sam Williams and Jarrod Croker for now. 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

At the top of my shopping list would be a halfback. Johnathon Thurston obviously, then Sam Williams and then Josh Reynolds. They are all off contract this year. I just read that Penrith are apparently tableing an offer to Thurston of 900K season on the cap and 500K third party payments. Is there any limit on the amount of 3rd party payments? I would go 500K a season for Williams or Reynolds. On the Zero site there is an artical saying that Will Hopoate wants out from his Parra contract. If he became available I would go the 800K a season for him. I think he will be a superstar fullback, up there with Slater, Inglis, Stewart and Barba. They are the only players who I know are off contract this year who I would target. I will think of a few more, I am sure.

Players who are not off contract this year who I would love to have at Saints are Slater, J Morris, Tarique Simms, Sam Burgess, Inglis, Tamou, Cherry, Foran, Sonny Bill and Barba to name a few. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

I'd like to know where they got that from because Will is pretty much unreachable at the moment.
No one knows where the f**k he is.
Just more silly rumours. 
stanleyg

stanleyg

I finally have to agree with DS on a player. It would be great to have J Morris back at the club.
We do have 3 players here already with another seasonunder their belt who can take coopers spot.
However a "player shopping list" does have to include the players already at club coming off contract who have to be considered as they all come under a thing called the salary cap. This one reason why JT no matter how good he is he is still one player and would eat up a lot of money.
Most of those we already have just need an adjustment to how they play the game to be worth what they are paid. 
kit

kit

Croker is an excellent defender and size-wise he's 94kg, Coops is 95kg. He's also a very talented (and rare) ball playing centre and one of the leagues top goal kickers. He'd be money well spent I reckon. 
professional

professional

Just steal everything that Canberra has.

Throw big money at Sam Williams or Jack Wighton - both of them are going to be stars. Mitch Cornish is more of a gamble but he would be a very good player to nab. 
Maximus89

Maximus89

Oh how did I know when I read the thread title that devout had started this thread :rolls:

I wonder when the last time a team won a premiership after going out and buying a whole team. They didn't really have a choice, but Melbourne in 99?

How good was Reynolds last night? Just another Daniel Mortimer. The guy is a nuffy without Barba and Graham to do his ball playing for him. 
professional

professional

Because the name of the who started the thread is listed right below http://www.cricsim.com/images/smilies/ph34r.gif 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Since we made them pay through the nose for Papalii I doubt they will be able to keep them all.
I reckon they will keep Williams, but they will end up losing a couple of others. Joel Thomson maybe. Maybe even Wighton. 
Maximus89

Maximus89

Not from the main forum page :P 
professional

professional

Parra's play for Papalii was just an altruistic attempt to make it easier for other clubs to recuit Williams and Wighton. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Except that there's no way we'll be the ones to sign them.
We are smart out Parra way - making it easier for other teams since 1947. 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

Someone pass this info onto our recruitment guys.

They obviously need all the help they can get. :) 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Williams is the only one of them that is off contract. He's probably the best half at the club but they might still lose him, he already is or will be linked to everyone. 
saints

saints

One player would be on my list:

Jonathan Thurston !!!!

Simple.

We need a leader and he can also kick.

I'd look to the future - offer a 5 year deal and offer the lot to him ! 
Stooge007

Stooge007

didn't JT re-sign with teh cowgirls? 
Maximus89

Maximus89

Yes. SJ must still be travelling back in time. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

Hope he doesn't go to far back or he will have us signing Moltzen :lol: 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

DavidHatch - Was on last Sunday. Weir SS defeated Cairns West SS in Final. Not sure where Weir go next.
OutbackEyes - CAIRNS FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND 2014 Tassell Trophy Club Challenge Under 14’s Carnival will be held at Vico Oval, Irene St Mooroobool, Cairns...
ALX21 - RD 20 SquadsBulldogs15 D.MaroskeRaiders6 L.LewisBroncos5 E.Alick6 J.NikorimaCowboys6 T.Carucci7 C.Bambling11 C.Hess
Leblancboys - Carina have had a number of season ending injuries and a coaching crisis mid year which can hurt the boys. East have been struggling for ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
ALX21 - Cowboys should lock Marshall Hudson in for a few years. One to keep an eye on.

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168