The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

The Vote - Bellamy ???

saints

saints

Will he bring the 3 with him ? 
manolos

manolos

Thanks DS..same to you...Lets hope things are looking up for the Mighty Red V this year. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

I think an argument can be made about whether Bellamy is the coach he is made out to be but I think he is a very good coach overall. He's tough, a strict disciplinarian, a hard worker, a meticulous planner and he has proved that he can develop players over time, those are all quality traits that he can bring to the club. Sure he has had certain advantages but there were also doubts over Bennett as well who came from a strong club that had many advantages over the competition. 
manolos

manolos

Well Said Watatank. Happy New Year. 
MacarthurSaints

MacarthurSaints

Yes there are great positives about him as a coach. it's undoubtedly true. BUT i won't say yes because.

" THE NRL has stripped Melbourne Storm of two premierships, as well as any competition points this season, in the toughest punishment for a salary cap breach in NRL history. NRL chief David Gallop has just announced the extraordinary penalty, after it was uncovered that the club paid $1.7 million to its players outside the cap in the past five years.[INDENT] John Hartigan said 'at this early stage' the architect of the elaborate payment system was former chief executive Brian Waldron, now the boss of incoming Super 15 rugby union team Melbourne Rebels
[/INDENT]
The Storm have been stripped of their premierships in 2007 and 2009, three minor premierships and their eight competition points this season. They will not be able to accrue any more points this season, have been fined $500,000 and must pay back $1.1 million in prize money.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/melbourne-storm-stripped-of-premierships-for-salary-cap-breaches-20100422-td91.html#ixzz2GhBFEW3A

He was part of this, he new. This is my concern. This is why i don't want him here. You want him here for glory, for discipline and to bring us back in the winning circle. Yes. sounds great. To then have it taken off us again many years down the track and a permanent branding leached upon us forever if we are found to do the same. i can't accept it. He was part of the ultimate crime in sport. Intentional cheating at a national level. I feel it's like letting in the devil into our angelic like circle. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

If you and others don't want him here because of that that's fine but I'm talking about his ability to coach. 
MacarthurSaints

MacarthurSaints

I see a coach in the same light as a player.

If they have magical ability but are a bad boy are they worth it for what could be detrimental to the clubs reputation.

IF we ever were caught breaching the cap or doing some illegal tactic (reflecting on Bellamys past involvement) would we have sponsors walk. Those that give the money to pay for this supposed 1.2 Million dollar man. We are obviously dangling one massive carrot and as another posters said to which i agree (sorry, too hot to look back just now) LOL" I have faith in our admin staff to know if we can afford it", Are we in fact dangling a bomb. 
saints

saints

He does seem to get the best out of people. No - if we get him I won't complain. I just feel we should give Steve a fair go ! Perhaps that's too old fashioned ! 
MacarthurSaints

MacarthurSaints

I agree. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Whether Price should get a fair go or not is besides the point. It's like saying, give Drinkwater a chance before we think about signing Thurston (salary cap aside). 
saints

saints

Don't agree on this Wata. We have groomed Steve for a few years for this job - to just dump him is not our way or fair IMO. What's the point of growing/training/developing a coach if we're going to just waste that money we put into it.

However, D/water hasn't even played a game for us, so to use the same argument is a tad unfair. I'd take JT without question.

But - its a business today alright. We need sponsors and their money. I guess Bellamy would bring that - as did Benny. 
stanleyg

stanleyg

The Dragons have standards and have even been known to sack a player for throwing his jersey on the ground after being sent off.
For doust to even think of going after Bellamy with his baggage shows something is wrong at the club 
Maximus89

Maximus89

Come on, he said he had nothing to do with it, so it must be true. It's going to disappoint the "he will sign 17 internationals for peanuts" crowd when they find out he claims to have nothing to do with signings ;) 
Stooge007

Stooge007

Bellamy 110%

surely Cronk has a get out clause in his contract too

giddyup :) 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

OK great we got that important piece of info sorted.

Back to Bellamy. He will attract all kinds of top shelf players - something Price doesn't have in his favour. If anyone thinks he will be able to operate shady deals while employed at the Dragons obviously doesn't have too much faith in our Club. 
Maximus89

Maximus89

Like he does with Melbourne? He has relied on development during his time there, so why is everyone so confident he would move away from the philosophy that has made him successful? 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Correct. 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

nah he can just bring Cronk and Slater with him.

Seriously, when a top line coach comes on the market we should be doing our best to lure him - like we did with Bennett. This is no different. 
saints

saints

Lets put it to the people - fans only please.

Comment is welcome. 
Stooge007

Stooge007

don't be greedy, Cronk alone will do :D 
Stooge007

Stooge007

Bellamy and Cronk please 
MadMike

MadMike

I don't know a great deal about Price so I didn't vote, but Craig's profile is a lot higher and is rated 1 of the best coaches going around, he could bring players with him, 
MadMike

MadMike

In dragons fan eyes could Price have done more in 2012?
Will he do better in 2013?

I know he had very big shoes to fill, 
rumackay

rumackay

Hypothetical question - Suppose we enter into talks with Bellamy for 2014 onwards and during the course of these talks Price starts to get results out of the team this year and we hover around the top of the table. Do we then knock him on the head because Bellamy would be giving us similar results at a massive markup just because he's Craig Bellamy. Would we really be better off paying that sort of money for Bellamy with Price having shown he's capable of getting the results we hope Bellamy would bring? Don't we need to see if we have the next Bellamy before we sign the current Bellamy for a massive price?

I think Bellamy is a great coach but I'd hate to lose Price and see him head off to another club and turn into the next Bellamy. I've had a few beers today so I might not be making the most sense even after I read this back to myself. Oh well... :D

I didn't vote because I'm not sure which choice my view falls under - Wait and see with Price (maybe 6 months) before we go hook line and sinker with Bellamy. Price has done a good apprenticeship and I think he's got the stuff to be a great coach 
Maroubranos

Maroubranos

I'd be happy to see Bellamy at the Dragons but I won't be holding my breath as I reckon this is all hype so that his value rises. In the meantime, I would still like the club to give Price a fair go! With good young players to work with and with older players put out to pasture, he has a great opportunity to build a new entertaining team. 

Recent Rugby League Posts

buckmajor - Thanks Steve, forgot to check back here lol.
Bull66 - Anyone going to have a crack at naming the Qld 16 team ?
ALX21 - NYC RD 7 Results Broncos: J.Nikorima 3 tries, 5 goals
ALX21 - Also Dawson Cross made the Wide Bay team @eileen.
showaheart - Any headgear is good headgear, my only advice is to buy something he wants to wear, the hardest thing I found with the young one's, is ge...
Footyfreak1971 - Yes it will be interesting to see I how many boys will be picked from the zone teams in 14s. I don't think we will see many, because ther...
grandad - I played for taxation in early 60's and i'm sure there was a team from mail exchange

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168