Round 4 - Saints Vs Sharks

saints

saints

saints

saints

That's the spirit !!!!!!!!!! 
saints

saints

I have a feeling if we can start well the boys may surprise. Watch for Beale to start running off the forwards and BMozz to star.

Sowie to kick us home with a Motza ! 
craigcooper

craigcooper

Sharks are lucky to have Ben Ross available. Doesn't deserve to be playing IMO. 
SydneyRaider

SydneyRaider

I think Saints will put in a solid performance but I like Sharkies 1-12. 
MacarthurSaints

MacarthurSaints

Know Your Enemy: Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks

Thursday 28 March 2013 3:00 PM

http://staticnrl.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/LeadImage/00065691-leadimage.jpg

\
The St George Illawarra Dragons will make the short trip to the Sutherland Shire on Saturday, when they take on the Sharks in an eagerly anticipated local derby at Sharks Stadium, Woolooware, kick-off 7:30 pm.
The Red-and-Whites will be looking to kick-start their campaign with a win over their cross-town rivals, while the hosts are out to consolidate their place in the top eight.
Dragons second-rower Tyson Frizell will be returning to Sharks Stadium for the first time since joining the club in the off-season.
The 21-year-old made his NRL debut for the Sharks, playing in 12 first-grade matches over two seasons.
In the NYC curtain raiser, the Young Dragons will be shooting for their second win of 2013 when they take on a Sharks outfit that is yet to taste victory this season.
Gates open at 3 pm, with NYC kick-off at 5:15 pm.

NRL Line-Up

NRL Head Coach: Shane Flanagan

1. Michael Gordon
2. Jonathan Wright
3. Ben Pomeroy
4. Matthew Wright
5. Beau Ryan
6. Todd Carney
7. Jeff Robson
8. Andrew Fifita
9. John Morris
10.Ben Ross
11. Luke Lewis
12. Wade Graham
13. Paul Gallen
14. Chris Heighington
15. Jayson Bukuya
16. Isaac De Gois
17. Anthony Tupou
18. Sam Tagataese

NYC Line-Up

NYC Head Coach: James Shepherd

1. Taylar Garrett
2. Nesi Mataitonga
3. Crete Waaka
4. Rea Pittman
5. Alan Niulesa
6. Jake Walsh
7. Alex Zarounas
8. Tokerau Raru
9. Fa’amanu Brown
10. Jack Broughton
11. Michael Morris
12. Sione Masima
13. Winstone Asotasi
14. Ben Chahoud
15. Masi Nona
17. Patrice Siolo
18. Kurt Dillon

Team Changes

Sharks centre Ben Pomeroy has been named to make his first appearance of the season, after recovering from a groin injury.
His inclusion comes at the expense of the injured Ricky Leutele, while former Dragons prop Jon Green also loses his place in the side.
Green, who played 51 times for the Dragons from 2008-2011, is replaced on the interchange bench by hooker Isaac De Gois.
For their NYC counterparts, Nesi Mataitonga starts on the wing in place of Malcom Congoo, with Kurt Dillon joining the bench.
Rea Pittman replaces Anthony Moriatis in the centres, and Sione Masima starts in the second-row, with Patrice Siolo dropping back to the bench.

Injuries

The hosts will be without the services of prop Bryce Gibbs, who is expected to be sidelined until round ten with an achilles injury.
Centre Ricky Leutele is out of action indefinitely with an ankle injury, while young hooker Michael Lichaa is expected back from a hamstring injury next round.
The Key Threats
The Sharks’ off-season recruitment drive ensures they possess talent and leadership right across the park.
The backrow of Luke Lewis, Wade Graham and captain Paul Gallen is arguably the strongest in the NRL, and allows the Shire club the luxury of introducing England international Chris Heighington against tiring defences.
The halves pairing of Todd Carney and Jeff Robson proved dangerous last season, and with additions such as Michael Gordon and Beau Ryan, the hosts aren’t lacking in firepower.
An evergreen John Morris is also enjoying a resurgent season thus far, adding to the Sharks’ creativity out of dummy-half.
The Young Dragons will need to look out for the experienced combination of five-eighth Jake Walsh and centre Rea Pittman in the NYC curtain raiser.
Both were key figures in last year’s competition, and have an extra season of experience on most of their rivals.
Recent Meetings
The Red-and-Whites hold the recent advantage, having won six of the past 10 local derbies, including an 18-10 triumph when the sides last met at WIN Stadium, Wollongong, in round 19 last season.
A Dragons victory will tie the overall head-to-head record between the two teams, which currently stands at: Sharks 15, Dragons 14, Drawn 1.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news-display/Know-Your-Enemy-CronullaSutherland-Sharks/70967 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

At least we get to watch Saints play Holden Cup on Fox today lol 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Well that's good.

Garvey leads a young/inexperienced team. There aren't too many regulars from last year except for maybe Runciman and Brennan. Cummins is still injured.

The halfback Shannon Crook is rated highly by the club and will be a player to watch from that team. And no, he's not playing NRL any time soon. 
saints

saints

A few liklies here. I like watching the Unders. But would love a Reserve Grade back on Match day - to see our "reserves" run about. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Woo hoo

Who leads the victory song now? 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

I nominate you Wata :) 
rumackay

rumackay

THAT'S the Dragons team I knew could and should turn up all year. Still a lot of work to do yet but a much improved performance from ALL the boys especially the forwards.

Prior had a really good game so DS should be happy...oh wait... :lol: 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

Soward seemed to have a good game based on Wata comments in live score thread :) 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Strong win. We are looked like a team out there tonight, first time this year and got rewarded for it. I liked how we played a lot more direct, tried more second phase and just started playing football instead of just going sideways with no other real plan in mind. But most of all, although the usual suspects lead the way it was a collective effort tonight.

Nightingale finishing tries like only he knows how. Morris with strong runs from dummy half and great catches under huge pressure. Merrin taking us forward, creating that second phase and tackling all night. Stockwell did really well first time he started a game and against one of the strongest packs in the competition. But really, everyone did their job.

As mentioned, still some things we could work on but give it time 
MacarthurSaints

MacarthurSaints

A much better performance from the whole team.

I was quiet impressed with Stockwell's 1st out game this season.

Soward actually took a tap and ran himself. Wooohoooooo.

There was some really encouraging signs there that the click is slowly coming together.

Maybe some people should re-consider taking back some comments about Pricey and the boys.

Early days but it was a great game to watch.

Not one F Bomb came from this mouth tonight.

Ball offloads need some focus.

King - Injury or not? 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

Eating crow and back for seconds on humble pie 
rumackay

rumackay

He went better than recent games no doubt, but so did the whole team. Still needs to find a little more belief/confidence in his abilities though, but having the forwards go forward certainly helped him to find a bit more space which he needs, so if that trend continues he might rediscover his 2010 form. I'm under no false illusions that there isn't a long way to go before we become the team we can be but tonight was great to see some of the self belief start to return 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

MS I think the youtube vids we watched sent some positive energy into the team :) 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

same here, its never tasted sweeter on occasions like this I am glad to be wrong :) 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

Good to get our first win of the season.

Fein was better than Soward again tonight.

I don't think Cronulla played very well either.

I will keep saying that we are only a top halfback, a top 5/8(Kyle hopefully) and top fullback away from being a good side and another 2 top forwards away from being a great side. 
rumackay

rumackay

I'm 100% certain you will :lol: 
MacarthurSaints

MacarthurSaints

Wouldn't you be better off saying something like.

Well done team.

Great effort boys etc...

Can you ever "Support" them. 
Ebi

Ebi

Well done Dragons, fantastic performance-whole team played well. Roosters fans know full well what Nightingale is capable off. 
stanleyg

stanleyg

A much improved effort by the Dragons against a solid sharks team. One would like to think that the coach and players finally listened to what a lot of us armchair critics have been saying but they obviously worked it out themselves. There were more offloads in that game than the previous three games, more application by the players in defence and attack. Merrin was at his usual best and Soward was more involved. I look forward to reading DS give his critique of Sowards effort. Gallen was heavily marked by the Dragons and only made about two of his customary breaks and offloads. lets hope now they have shown they can lift that they believe in that effort and keep it up. 
Maroubranos

Maroubranos

Thanks Dragons, I can now spend the last two days of the easter break with a smile on my face. A total commitment by all players - well done! 

Recent Rugby League Posts

Awks - And 2 years of the 8 my 2 nephews have been members.. Congratulations to the u12s in the finals win over nsw 26-6
sportsnews30 - It’s Australia vs New Zealand in the Bledisloe Cup on Saturday.The match is slated to start at 8 p.m. AEST (10 p.m. NZST, 10 a.m. GMT) at...
ALX21 - Congrats to Sam Lavea for his debut 2 weeks ago. Jack Morris named for his debut for the Eels.
sportsnews30 - Taranaki vs Counties Manukau live stream Rugby 2014 online streaming & TV Channels. We must be ensure you the best online Rugby Live stre...
Fromthenest - Frenchville SS 46 def St Pats Gympie 4. They will play Weir SS sometime in the next fortnight.
seaeagles - your post is a good while back now,but I think you are on to a good thing there.i am based on the southern tip of the central coast(ex-Sy...
OutbackEyes - CAIRNS FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND 2014 Tassell Trophy Club Challenge Under 14’s Carnival will be held at Vico Oval, Irene St Mooroobool, Cairns...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181