15. Jack Stockwell
16. Matt Prior
17. Cameron King
18. Leeson Ah Mau
20. Chase Stanley 
View all 70 comments
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

Good to get our first win of the season.

Fein was better than Soward again tonight.

I don't think Cronulla played very well either.

I will keep saying that we are only a top halfback, a top 5/8(Kyle hopefully) and top fullback away from being a good side and another 2 top forwards away from being a great side. 
rumackay

rumackay

I'm 100% certain you will :lol: 
MacarthurSaints

MacarthurSaints

Wouldn't you be better off saying something like.

Well done team.

Great effort boys etc...

Can you ever "Support" them. 
Ebi

Ebi

Well done Dragons, fantastic performance-whole team played well. Roosters fans know full well what Nightingale is capable off. 
stanleyg

stanleyg

A much improved effort by the Dragons against a solid sharks team. One would like to think that the coach and players finally listened to what a lot of us armchair critics have been saying but they obviously worked it out themselves. There were more offloads in that game than the previous three games, more application by the players in defence and attack. Merrin was at his usual best and Soward was more involved. I look forward to reading DS give his critique of Sowards effort. Gallen was heavily marked by the Dragons and only made about two of his customary breaks and offloads. lets hope now they have shown they can lift that they believe in that effort and keep it up. 
Maroubranos

Maroubranos

Thanks Dragons, I can now spend the last two days of the easter break with a smile on my face. A total commitment by all players - well done! 
saints

saints

Well played lads ... :) 
twinkletoeGAZ

twinkletoeGAZ

Great to a balanced performance :) 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

I'm out of town with no foxtel so will have to watch a replay later in the week. Can someone check hge guide and let me know what day it is on? 
BringbackBRL

BringbackBRL

Thursday 10:30 am. 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

thanks mate 
cpr_89

cpr_89

NRL.com has replays of every game and last night's game is up already if you have a good internet connection... 
MacarthurSaints

MacarthurSaints

[h=1]Dragons Claim Monty Porter Cup[/h]

Saturday 30 March 2013 9:20 PM

http://staticnrl.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/LeadImage/00066321-leadimage.jpg

The St George Illawarra Dragons claimed an impressive 25-12 victory over the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks at Sharks Stadium, Cronulla on Saturday.
The Red-and-Whites ran-in four tries en-route to claiming the Monty Porter Cup with Jason Nightingale bagging a notable double’s worth.
Head Coach Steve Price had been forced to make several changes to his midweek line-up following a calf-strain sustained by prop Michael Weyman in training.
Jack Stockwell was promptly promoted from the interchange into the starting forward spot in lieu of the Moruya junior which inadvertently gifted Michael Henderson with a late call-up of his own.
Dragons centre Chase Stanley was also a late-addition and slotted into the left inside-edge to replace Daniel Vidot, who ultimately bowed-out of the game.
The visitors were the stronger of the two teams when play commenced and found themselves commanding a 12-point lead come the midway point of the half.
Dragons halfback Nathan Fien struck first adjacent to the sticks in the eighth minute of play but it was lock Trent Merrin who created the bulk of the set-up play.
The NSW Blues representative had managed to plough his way through the host’s defensive line before offloading to Fien to weave his way across the line.
Dragons five-eighth Jamie Soward was on strike to make it 6-nil.
The Wagga junior was at the centre of his team’s second try nine minutes later after collecting a wayward ball 85-metres out and dashing uncontested to the line.
The pivot converted his own efforts to make it 12-nil.
The Sharks salvaged a converted try three minutes from halftime through the efforts of Jeff Robson and the boot of Michael Gordon.
The Dragons reclaimed their 12-point-buffer seven minutes into the recommencement of play through winger Jason Nightingale’s valiant efforts down the right wing.
The New Zealand international was afforded space through international compatriots Gerard Beale and Bronson Harrison efforts on the inside-edge to dive mid-air and plant the ball.
Soward added the extras to make it 18-6.
However, the Sharks rallied and found themselves trailing by a mere converted try nine minutes later courtesy of halfback Andrew Fifita and the boot of Gordon.
Price’s men held strong and proved their resiliency with their fourth try of the encounter courtesy of Nightingale despite momentum having swayed in the home side’s favour.
Soward was on strike to make it 24-12.
The pivot sealed the win for the Red V with a well-struck field-goal minutes from time.
St George Illwarra Dragons 24 defeated the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks 12.
St George Illawarra Dragons: 25. Tries: Nightingale (2), Fien, Soward. Goals: Soward (4/4). Field Goal: Soward (1/1)
Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks: 12. Tries: Robson, Fifita. Goals: Gordon (2/2).

http://www.dragons.com.au/news-display/Dragons-Claim-Monty-Porter-Cup/71215 
novasaint

novasaint

[size=7][b]meat for everyone![/b][/size] 
kit

kit

It's also on 6 a.m. tomorrow morning on Fox Sport 1 if you're back in time. 
kit

kit

I just got back from Woop Woop and surprised to see we got a win, woohoo !
Was King injured, I can't find any info other than him being on the Dragon's site Injury list as Knee - TBC ?
Terrible to see Weyman has picked up another injury.
Can't wait to watch the replay. Well done boys ! 
saints

saints

While it was a great win - which some of us predicted ... - we still bombed a few good chances and might have been in trouble if they'd capitalised on some breaks. They also lost Carney.

We had a lead and then almost lost it - as in earlier games. We have the ability, and show it, but then stop playing. Give a silly penalty and end up on the back foot.

Prior stood out with Merrin. Finally Fien followed a forward and got a try. This could happen every week. However - once he'd done it he seemed to stop. We had a few opportunities but didn't take them up. Melbourne would not have let us off so lightly. Sowie was almost back to his best. He tries so hard - EVERY game. Flo excellent back on the wing - where he belongs.

BMozz brilliant - and Coops a strong performance. Even Chase surprised me - playing the way he can - but often doesn't. Rein still tries the one-off too much - they know he's going to do it now. King looked good. Stockwell played very well IMO. Hendo was solid. Benny C put in a big effort - but still seems to be used as a battering ram.

Beale gets better every game and could be very good by the Finals. Fien played a good game - but lets hope its not the 1 in 3 and we have 2 mediocre ones coming. He is still not a half.

A few forwards tried hard - Frizzel is an enigma - looks quite good then slackens off - say in defence.

All in all 6/10.

I'd like to see them lift to 7.5/10 on a regular basis. 
twinkletoeGAZ

twinkletoeGAZ

Does anyone know what happened to weyman for this game? Injuries? Form? 
saints

saints

Yep - couple of weeks - leg problems. Training incident I think. 
kit

kit

The players I've singled out for criticism did nothing to redeem themselves Saturday night except maybe B.Harrison who was strong in defence and solid over-all but only because he played from the bench, where he belongs.

Beale - The commentators never said Beale's name until around 25 minutes in, prior to that I didn't even notice him. Yes he showed quick hands for a good pass but backed it up with a careless misread and let Fifita stroll in uncontested next to the posts.
Frizell - can't tackle opposition forwards one on one, if he tries he gets pushed off with ease. He never tackles low, ever and goes in all hands and very little shoulder. He has no step and makes bugger all metres. Bennett will target both these players next week guaranteed.

The rest of team were impressive and the most telling difference from the previous 3 weeks was Merrin starting and having a massive opening 20 minutes in defence and attack and helping lay the foundation for the win, who woulda thought ? (everyone but Price), imagine when we start a game with Weyman, Merrin and Hunt on the paddock together, (everyone but Price).
Moz, Nightie and Coops also had massive games and Sowie was kicking like the old days and tackling like a proper real first grader, things are looking up. Fein again tried so hard but isn't a 7 unfortunately. I said Stockwell wouldn't let us down and he didn't, would love to see him and Prior play every game. Is there anyone who thinks Frizell is a better option than Prior ? The rest did their job. Shame to see Ah Mau lose his spot in the side, he would have been good off the bench against the Sharkies.

When we played what was in front of us and ad-libbed a bit we looked dangerous. When we played those set plays ( the ones Melb do so well) we looked like amateurs - poorly time, poorly executed, the opposition knew they were coming last xmas.

Newcastle at Win should be a good game but will the crowd know who to barrack for:8 
Maximus89

Maximus89

On the right edge he is a far better option. Prior NEEDS to stay in the middle. He was the worst player in history according to some people last year when playing out on the right edge. Now he is in the middle and he is one of our best week in week out.

We need to sort out that right edge, but Prior never has been, and never will be the answer. 
kit

kit

Yeah, can't argue with that, I've said the same myself about keeping Prior in the middle. He's a great great cover defender as well when playing in tight. Maybe I asked the wrong question. I watched Frizell very closely though and we definitely need someone else in his spot, Cronulla's breaks down that side were made by targeting him and Stanley, lucky Stanley can tackle. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

the worst in history was Scott when in centers, look how often he got smoked by opposition centers :lol: 
Maroubranos

Maroubranos

Again I was impressed by Prior's performance. He is our biggest improver and has cemented a spot up the middle. I also liked Stockwell's effort and would like to see him given plenty of opportunities. Most of all Chase looks better each game as confidence in his own abilities grows. The big question for me is "what's happened to De Belin"? Once Weyman returns, a 'young' bench containing Prior, Stockwell, King and De Belin wouldn't be too bad. Frizell is enthusiastic enough but needs more time to develop so perhaps have him on the bench with Harrison starting. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

De Belin got suspended in Round 1 playing for the Cutters, hasn't played since. he will be available for selection this week. 
saints

saints

Agree on Prior. He has been one of our best performers this year - he does what he's there to do !

We still have issues - and a win can't change that. But - its nice to have a win. 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
bossshoel - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
bossshoel - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
zahidkhan06 - http://www.allhereget.com/?p=102Watch all kinds of Sports like Rugby, NCAA, Soccer, NFL, CFL, AFL, MLS, MLB, NBA, NHL, Boxing , Tennis, F...
bossshoel - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181