The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Round 2- Dragons (H) v Broncos

professional

professional

Essentially this. There is nothing wrong with Cooper's defence but the rest of his game has been slowly regressing. There are very few people who obsess about defensive centres as much as I do; however, a centre does also need to contribute in attack. 
professional

professional

The issue with this plan is that you need a handful of players who are really good support players. The Bulldogs had players like Barba and Reynolds who provided great support play and the ability to bury half chances. Likewise the Warriors had Maloney (who is a superb support player) and Kevin Locke to work off the back of Mateo and co. But the Dragons don't have any players who I would class as outstanding support players.

It might still be worth a try. Merrin has a mean offload and I'd love to see the Dragons play a bit more expansively. 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

**** off Price :) 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

I think our centers would look a lot better in attack is they had a good pair of halves to set him up. I will remind everyone that Soward never makes those outside him look good.

I obviously don't rate Beale what so ever, but I was thinking yesterday that he is running off Soward and that makes his task even that much harder.

Saints fans keep talking about us needing a ball playing fullback. I think a ball playing 5/8 is more important. If we had a ball playing 5/8 then our centers would look better and so would our fullback and backrowers too.

I will say again too that Morris should definently be our fullback. He was our best player last year playing there. He certainally was not a failure there. 
professional

professional

Morris to fullback should definitely get some consideration soon. 
kit

kit

It's all Beale's fault, everything. Well him and the man with no chin.
Cooper is the best player in the world ever, I won't hear otherwise. :hindy:

Actually - 35th minute that pass, I just had another look, OK not that bad, a bit hard but could have been caught , a bit of depth would have helped too. What would have helped more would have been Fein stepping off his left into a massive hole - in under the posts instead of passing it left in the first place. 
MacarthurSaints

MacarthurSaints

A guy named Quinlan is my answer to this. 
Hasler

Hasler

Lol, I love it:) You're in for a long four or five years....hahaha

p.s Cooper??...hahahahah 
cpr_89

cpr_89

I would like to think we would have a fullback that is more than a winger that plays in the middle of the field, you know like every other team does.

The problem with Morris is that he lacks that all round ability of other fullbacks. He really wasn't doing anything for us at fullback that he couldn't have done from the wing. When he got the ball from fullback, the play stopped with him and he couldn't capitalise on opportunities on the outside. He also tired quickly doing all that extra running which meant he lost his effectiveness as the season went on.

That said, he would help straighten our attack up which is something that needs to be addressed. 
professional

professional

This isn't really the issue though. Morris isn't ideally suited to fullback and if there was a better alternative then keeping him on the wing would be preferable; however, relative to Beale he is beginning to look like a much better option. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Beale is the best option for how we want to play. It was always going to take time for him to find his feet and the halves and a lot of other new players and combinations aren't helping that. I think he's got room for development. Morris might be an option if we choose to play differently. 
kit

kit

I agree. His performance in the trials was better than anything I've seen from Beale.

Morris is a winger and should remain on the wing. Watatank's remark about Moz tiring quickly at fb is spot on. We shouldn't be making more bad decisions in trying to fix the ones we already have like playing another player out of position. 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

That is what I am saying too. I have been saying that we are better off with Morris at fullback since last year. But who ever plays fullback for us is at a disadvatage to begin with when they are running off Soward. 
saints

saints

Beale has had two games at FB. He's gone well in both - all things considered. He's not a star - as such - he's developing. Anyone at the game that watched his play - not the times he was on a TV screen - would have seen him starting to become part of the team. We don't want to move BMozz to FB - it'd be just wasting him. BUT - we need to get the ball to him quicker. That might mean him coming in field more or having a few plays where he rotates with someone.

Our major flaw on Friday was this ongoing forward play. Our attack seems to consist of one-off plays. Turning the ball inside to a forward - who is generally standing flat footed and not running onto the ball. When they did run onto it we scored ! We had no set-up when we had the ball - just a straight line - like we were defending. They were easy pickings. Some basics in backline play and angles might be in order.

But to blame one or two players for it all is silly.

However, our main problem is in our half - as we knew it would be. Fien is not a half. He tries hard but is just a stop gap. Even in 2009-11 he was a part of our hooker rotation - from memory. It is now 3 seasons since the GF. Coops is another who may have had his day.

BUT - most of all - we lack a play maker. 
Lewis06

Lewis06

You think Beale went well? When I put money into the top of the dogs head as a donation I like to think it is going to a good cause. Obviously not. 
stanleyg

stanleyg

The issue with support players is if we have any its not the dragons style of play.
Apart from Merrin our forward game is like rugby union....Bash n barge. When the backs get the ball its mainly catch n pass which is easy for the opposition defence.

If there is more draw n offload there may be more support players to take the ball but at the moment no one is expecting to have to support due to the dragons playing style so they are not looking to support the bal carrier. 
Maroubranos

Maroubranos

Spot on. We can't address the problem by changing players around - we need to find a playmaker and use him in the half's. 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

I've got a great idea!

Let's pay Dugan 600K a year to solve all our problems. I like your thinking Dousty..

:) 
saints

saints

Sounds like Dugan may play in centres. 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

???? :I

You happy for us to be paying 600K a season for him? 
cpr_89

cpr_89

The important thing is that we sign Dugan, even if he plays centre we always have the option to move him later. 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

I've been out of coverage since Thursday so a little unsure of where we are at with him...but...is that figure of 600K correct?? 
cpr_89

cpr_89

I've sorta touched on it earlier but Rein really needs to step up. He has had a poor start to the season, especially with his passing but he needs to be more selective with his running. Teams know he likes to run and are catching him pretty much straight away. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Who knows, it's just a guess and one that everyone is going to run with. That's actually not that bad for a key position player under the new salary cap. 
kit

kit

I'd be very disappointed if we spent that much on a player / position we don't really need. We have have plenty of centres, wingers and fullbacks. Drinkwater hurt his shoulder last week and we really, really need a half at any cost. 

Recent Rugby League Posts

ALX21 - Preliminary FinalJ.Nikorima and Fai named on the bench for the Broncos.
seaeagles - nothing sensible to say ,you poor excuse for a human fastwater! get a brain & you will be dangerous!
KHemsleyrulz - I realise this thread is quite old, but I'm chasing a copy of this book myself - does anyone know where I can find one?
eagle10 - there is a team list on stingers site but its versing a Toowoomba rep side
surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
bossshoel - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181