The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Round 1- Dragons (A) v Storm

cpr_89

cpr_89

May as well start this off...less than two weeks until Round 1, tough match against the defending premiers on their own turf...that said, could be an opportunity to surprise them knowing how hard it will be with the World Club Challenge.

How do you think we will line up? 
saints

saints

Beale
Morris
Nightingale
Cooper
Green

King
Soward

Merrin
Creagh
Prior
Hunt
Rein
Weyman

Matthews
deBelin
Stockwell
Frizell 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

Backs: This is how I would start the game, but Price is nailed on put 33 yr old Fien at half because of his blinding pace and vision.

1. Beale
2. Morris
3. Vidot
4. Cooper
5. Nightingale
6. Soward
7. Drinkwater

Forwards: Forget the Merrin @ lock failure and put him back at prop. I assume Rein is out?

8. Weyman
9. King
10. Merrin
11. Creagh (c)
12. Frizell
13. De Belin

14. Stanley
15. Harrison
16. Henderson
17. Matthews/Prior/Stockwell

Hopefully we'll stay within 18 points. 
kit

kit

The main things we need to patch up are our right side defence, defence around the ruck and making metres early up. Our speed off the line should improve by itself, it's not something we had a problem with last year. I know we struggle for points but I'd still like us to get our defence back up to scratch. Then we can build on that with Weyman back and a couple of new faces in King, Drinkwater and Beale maybe the points will come. So I'd pick a team close to last years that we know can defend well.

1. Beale
2. Moz
3. Coops
4. C.Stanley - more reliable in defence than Vidot.
5. Nightie
6. Soward
7. Fein
8. Weyman
9. King ( if Rein is out)
10. Hunt
11. Creagh
12. Prior
13. Merrin

14. Ah Mau - he was outstanding in the CS and at the end of last year, he really needs to be in the starting 17.
15. De Belin
16. Frizell ( I'd prefer Stockwell but I don't think Price will use him yet)
17. Drinkwater 
Maroubranos

Maroubranos

Yep, agree with you on this. I dont believe we will see too many changes from last year. My feeling is that perhaps Henderson will be on the bench instead of Drinkwater. 
Maximus89

Maximus89

Looks like Rein should be right for round 1. King possibly. 
novasaint

novasaint

1. Beale
2. Morris
3. Vidot
4. Cooper
5. Nightingale
6. Soward
7. Drinkwater
8. Weyman
9. King
10. Merrin
11. Creagh (c)
12. Frizell
13. De Belin

14. Fein
15. Ah Mau
16. Hunt
17. Matthews 
rumackay

rumackay

Lol...what's happening here? Everyone has Beale at fullback, Morris on the wing and Soward at 5/8. How many times do you all have to be told - that's not right? :lol: 
kit

kit

On the Dragons website Hunt is still on the injured list - Calf, being monitored. So maybe Ah Mau to start as he worked well with Weyman when they were on the park together in CS. With Rein fit maybe King on the bench and Drinkwater to drop off for a backrower - Matthews or Harrison. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Based on the CS

1. Beale
2. Nightingale
3. Stanley
4. Cooper
5. Morris
6. Soward
7. Fien
8. Hunt
9. King
10. Weyman
11. Stockwell
12. Creagh (c)
13. Merrin

14. Rein
15. Prior
16. Ah Mau
17. Frizell

Just a few notes

* I thought Stanley was solid in both trials and has earned his place as right centre. I'd imagine there would be an ongoing battle with Vidot who can be more damaging but needs more time.

* Fien has to be halfback at this stage, we need his experience and I think Drinkwater could do with a few games at the Cutters first. I'd expect that Drinkwater will come in after a few rounds and then end the season at halfback, for what it's worth.

* Right backrow is another contentious area. Price is working closely with Frizell but I worry about the errors. Harrison would also be good for what Price wants to establish but I don't know if he deserves to be there based on trials. I've got Stockwell there because I think it's a good opportunity to do so, rest depends on how the season goes.

* I agree with kit on Ah Mau. Deserves his spot.

* I've omitted De Belin, I think he has been disappointing in the trials. Not sure what's going on here but he seems off the pace and a little lost, maybe down on confidence? May need a week or two in the Cutters to rip in.

* Also got King starting with Rein off the bench, if declared fit anyway. I think they are better suited that way. King has a better all round game that will help us be more expansive while Rein is better when he can come on and expose retreating defences like he did in the CS. 
MacarthurSaints

MacarthurSaints

I think the tricky thing for Pricey this year is the bench.

With no Dean Young he must make a decision with who is going on the bench.

Soward and Fein in the halves means he needs 80 Minutes from Fein.

Rein at Hooker means that if he wants Rein to play 80 he can have 100% bruteness on the bench.

If he is concerned about Fein and Rein lasting 80 or the worry of a injury to either of them he needs a Hooker/ half to throw in the mix with his bench.

King, Drinkwater, Cook, Ryan or Quinlan always need to have a bench spot each week i believe.

Last year Rein or Fein were not 80 minute men and were highly likely to get a injury. 
aakeates

aakeates

1. Beale
2. Morris
3. Stanley
4. Cooper
5. Nightingale
6. Soward
7. Fien
8. Hunt
9. Rein
10. Weyman
11. Merrin
12 Creagh
13. Prior

14. King( can fill in at hooker, lock and half)
15. Stockwell
16. Mathews( because he can offload)
17. De Belin, Ah Mau, or Frizell ( toss a coin for this last spot) 
novasaint

novasaint

Late change.

King to Lock
Rein to hook
De Belin to bench
Hunt out till fit. 
Maroubranos

Maroubranos

No Prior?? He has been our most consistent forward during the trials, don't you think? 
saints

saints

Yep - Matty must be in the squad - our Player of the Year in 2013 ! 
Stooge007

Stooge007

the season is so close, i can smell it 
saints

saints

Blow that whistle Ref ... ;) 
novasaint

novasaint

He has turned up to play in the trials but he is still a.......

FOKIN VEGETARIAN 
novasaint

novasaint

But he gets a place if the smelly Hunt is out. 
saints

saints

Be nice to win the first one ! 
Stooge007

Stooge007

team named this afternoon? 
Maroubranos

Maroubranos

Hope that Matty Prior, Ah Mau and Matthews make it in for this 1st game. 
MrChook

MrChook

Official Dragons side to take on Storm:

1 Gerard Beale
2 Brett Morris
3 Chase Stanley
4 Matt Cooper
5 Jason Nightingale
6 Jamie Soward
7 Nathan Fien
8 Dan Hunt
9 Mitch Rein
10 Michael Weyman
11 Tyson Frizell
12 Ben Creagh (c)
13 Trent Merrin
Interchange
14 Bronson Harrison
15 Leeson Ah Mau
16 Matt Prior
17 Cameron King
19 Jack Stockwell 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

No Vidot? :I

Merrin @ lock? :spew:

Fien @ 7 *facepalm*

Apart from that, all good :) 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

Our record @ AAMI is reprehensible. Any chance the big 3 all come down with a virus before Sunday? 

Recent Rugby League Posts

Awks - And 2 years of the 8 my 2 nephews have been members.. Congratulations to the u12s in the finals win over nsw 26-6
sportsnews30 - It’s Australia vs New Zealand in the Bledisloe Cup on Saturday.The match is slated to start at 8 p.m. AEST (10 p.m. NZST, 10 a.m. GMT) at...
ALX21 - Congrats to Sam Lavea for his debut 2 weeks ago. Jack Morris named for his debut for the Eels.
sportsnews30 - Taranaki vs Counties Manukau live stream Rugby 2014 online streaming & TV Channels. We must be ensure you the best online Rugby Live stre...
Fromthenest - Frenchville SS 46 def St Pats Gympie 4. They will play Weir SS sometime in the next fortnight.
seaeagles - your post is a good while back now,but I think you are on to a good thing there.i am based on the southern tip of the central coast(ex-Sy...
OutbackEyes - CAIRNS FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND 2014 Tassell Trophy Club Challenge Under 14’s Carnival will be held at Vico Oval, Irene St Mooroobool, Cairns...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181