The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Round 1- Dragons (A) v Storm

cpr_89

cpr_89

May as well start this off...less than two weeks until Round 1, tough match against the defending premiers on their own turf...that said, could be an opportunity to surprise them knowing how hard it will be with the World Club Challenge.

How do you think we will line up? 
View all 101 comments
cpr_89

cpr_89

Chase has a sprain, apparently. If so, good news, thought he did well yesterday. 
saints4me

saints4me

Can someone exlain to me what's with the little goosestep some of them take before they hit the line?
What's that meant to do? Fool the opposition into what?
Do they do that at training? 
chookdance

chookdance

how long till drinkwater comes in? 
Maroubranos

Maroubranos

I don't really believe he's ready for the top grade yet! 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Depends on how he goes in the lower grades. Few people have seen him train/play to make a call on this except for the coaching staff and he had little game time in the trials suggests he needs more time. 
chookdance

chookdance

fien isn't an nrl quality halfback better suited to hooker. i can't see the dragons making the 8 i wouldn't be surprised if they went sink or swim 
stanleyg

stanleyg

Prefer they swim rather than sink but not at the cost of spending a fortune on a player as some would have us do.
would even be happy if they dog paddled this season until the young players gel as a team. 
chookdance

chookdance

i don't think drinkwater will be the half while sowards the 5/8 you don't want a guy that thinks he's better that everyone else screaming at a young kid 
Maroubranos

Maroubranos

I agree that Fien is not going to cut it but I feel they could really do Drinkwater damage (confidence-wise) if they throw him into this team now. Prefer to see other combinations form & stabilize before introducing him into the team - but thats not my call. 
kit

kit

How many coaches would go into a game against Melb and leave their two best forwards on the bench ?
Price named a strong team and then ran out a different one. Maybe he over thought the situation.

Beale - Was OK, should settle into the team ( it won't happen but I'd like to see Quinlan at FB some time this year)
Morris - I think our halves and hookers forgot there's two sides to our attack. Moz only saw the ball when he went in to do the forwards work - good on him but he shouldn't be doing it as much as he did yesterday.
Coops - Our left side is in pretty good hands defensively, should be used more in attack.
Stanley - Given more room he could become our most dangerous player in attack, nice evasive skills.
Nightie - Also spent a lot of time taking runs our forwards should have been taking. He's a champion.
Soward - His best attribute is his kicking game so why did Fein take the majority of kicks. If it was to take pressure off Sowie so he could do other things it's a mistake. His defence is getting better, his attack isn't.
Fein - Very poor kicking game, offered little in attack like Soward but I put that down to the Coach and a badly thought out and implemented attacking structure.

Props - all played well I thought with Ah Mau a standout. I'd be happy to see us start games with Weyman, Ah Mau props and Merrin at lock ( that combo worked well in the CS 2nd half - really well )
Hookers - It's been Dragons policy for many years now to go with two hookers and it's time to change. Rein and Young in the last 2 years played a similar game and the flow wasn't changed / interrupted when they were interchanged but watching yesterdays game when King came on there seemed some confusion in our structure and attack. They play different games these two and I don't think they can work together, better to pick one and send the other to the Cutters to learn how to be a dominant 80 minute hooker. It's tough but it must be done and I'm leaning towards Rein at the moment, he's proved himself already and King misses too many tackles.
Back Row - They sucked. Very disappointed with Frizell, bad reads in defence and brushed off too easy a couple of times as well as a few poor misses. Nothing you can do about Creagh, he's the captain and a handy defender, we're stuck with him. Harrison tackled well and often, let's keep him....as back up. Prior was pretty strong, seems to be playing like a player who knows his job's on the line.
I'd prefer to see Merrin at lock ( I wasn't convinced at first but I'm coming around), De Belin, Prior and Stockwell as our 2nd rowers.

Overall I blame the Coach - Our attack was terrible, bordering on non-existent - fix it ! / Soward needs to be our go to kicker for 80 % of kicks / Drinkwater needs to play first grade now - why not ? it's not like we're serious contenders this year so now's a good time to blood him, Fein's not a 7 / Start a game with our best forwards on the park / Keep it simple, play to our strengths, which are - a very decent pack so play up the middle.

A disappointing loss but against the Premiers and it's early days. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Why would you want two hookers that play the same game?

King has done his time in NSW Cup, the time to bring him into the team is now. The team have to get used to how he plays but so what, they will be better for it. Over time it will become obvious that he is a better player than Rein.

The King/Rein combination has the potential to be one of the highlights of our season, there's no reason to mess with that. 
kit

kit

I don't. I want one good, dominant hooker who plays 80 minutes like Cam Smith, Farah, Ennis etc. I don't know why we always have to have 2 hookers at the Dragons, it's never been a great success, more just a bad habit we've got ourselves into. Unnecessary I think.
Now though, with two players with very different styles I don't think it can work. I'm too buggered to explain what I mean right now but watch the Storm game again and watch the Rein / King change over, it looked chaotic and disruptive to me - not smooth at all. I could be wrong but we've a year of this to go so we'll see. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Of course it was disruptive, that's what happens when you bring a new player into the team (which is what it essentially is). Besides we are trying to develop combinations everywhere, it's going to take time for everything to come together. As I said, it's worth persisting with because he's a very good player who can help improve our team.

We never had much "success" in the past because we never had anyone good coming through and made do with Young and others. King and Rein combination can be much better than that, I don't think it's a fair comparison.

I may be talking this and King up a lot but to be honest but it's one of the few things that make me think we have some chance of having a good season and cover somewhat for our lack of halves. 
novasaint

novasaint

I'd like to see Rein at hooker and King at lock.
Drinkwater at 7 
Maximus89

Maximus89

Agree with this, but I've noticed it happens every time Fien plays halfback. He appears to have an over-inflated opinion of his own kicking game, when he is barely average the majority of the time. Soward needs to get in there on the last and take over, because it is his job. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

Not to mention he is the more competent half. ;) 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

I agree that we need to pick one hooker and play him for 80 minutes. I am a massive Rein fan, but King did look good yesterday too.

I don't think you can blame our poor attack on our coach. I blame our halves, like I have been for the last 4 years. I believe if you put Thurston in our side instead of Soward we would be a different team. While ever Coops is playing ourside Soward he will never look good in attack.

Personally I would put Drinkwater in at halfback and as for 5/8, I would experiment with Beale, Quinlan or Cummins. Our problem is our halves and fullback, it is as simple as that. If we were to put Cherry, Foran and Stewart in our side at half, 5/8 and fullback we would be a totally different team and make the semi's.

Personally I didn't see much difference from last year. Beale didn't make any difference as I predicted. I know that some of you will be saying give him time. In my opinion he just isn't good enough. Morris is our best option at fullback, but he needs a decent pair of halves to set him up.

We definently should have DeBelin in our side. I am not impressed with our back row either. I have gone off Creagh to the max. Just because he is our captain doesn't mean that he should be an automatic selection for the next 5 years. We need a couple of forwards who oppostion players don't want to play against.

I think my moral is at an all time low. I don't see us recruiting well enough and I don't see us making the 8 in the forseeable future. I will continue to say that we have to get rid of Doust, Craig Young and Price and we have to get rid of Soward too. What is it going to take for that to happen?

I have said before about us and Liverpool FC. If you want to compete on the field then you have to compete off the field and that is somthing that we are not doing. I have no faith that Doust and Young will do what it takes to get the prized signitures. We definently should have got Cronk and B Stewart last year, but Doust and Young are too STINGY to get the big signitures. I don't see us rebuilding into a premiership force. The other question is, are big name players willing to come to play for us?

BTW Soward was quoted as saying that Beale will be a superstar lol I don't see it. 
stanleyg

stanleyg

I agree with most of what KIT has raised but I still dont think Merrin is a lock.
His best asset is taking the ball up as a front row forward and getting an offload away not trying to provide cover defence for other players missed tackles.
He did one great offload during the game and the team needs a lot more of it if it is have any real attack that will stretch the opposition defence
I dont agree with DS and his laying the blame with Soward. If you watched the game you would have seen soward had almost nil room to move other than pass the ball in attack as the Storm were up in his face the whole game.
Its also about time the Thurston issue was stopped. He has resigned with NQ 
MacarthurSaints

MacarthurSaints

Instead of typing all that, just write.
Devout™ and we will know what you mean.

"to the Coach and a badly thought out and implemented attacking structure."

Kit, you summed it all up there.

I have no idea what's been worked on for the last 6 months but i didn't see it on Sunday. 
Maroubranos

Maroubranos

:lol: 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

*facepalm* 
Maximus89

Maximus89

Yeah Bennett was a horrible coach :rolls: 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

You are Dreaming Gladiola.

With Soward in our side we are lucky to score 2 tries a game and at least one of them will usually be set up or scored by Rein.

Soward was paying $67 to win the Dally M before the start of the comp and those odds were unders. He is no chance of winning the Dally M. Did you back him to win the Dally M lol if so how much did you have on him. lol

Soward's rep career is finished for good. This will be his last year in the NRL as no other clubs are interested in him. That is why his manager is shopping him around to Japanese rugby.

Is Soward your hero Gladiola? lol It sounds like he is. lol 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

Didn't you promise not to call Max Gladiola anymore? 
Maximus89

Maximus89

He also promised to admit when Soward and Beale have a good game, but we all know that isn't going to happen either. 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

No, I didn't promise. I said the I may or might stop calling him Gladiola. lol

I was feeling empathetic at the time. lol 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

Bull66 - Anyone going to have a crack at naming the Qld 16 team ?
ALX21 - NYC RD 7 Results Broncos: J.Nikorima 3 tries, 5 goals
ALX21 - Also Dawson Cross made the Wide Bay team @eileen.
BobRiley - Did qld ever win a origin match after the hooter
showaheart - Any headgear is good headgear, my only advice is to buy something he wants to wear, the hardest thing I found with the young one's, is ge...
Footyfreak1971 - Yes it will be interesting to see I how many boys will be picked from the zone teams in 14s. I don't think we will see many, because ther...
grandad - I played for taxation in early 60's and i'm sure there was a team from mail exchange

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168