The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Dragons called up for State of Origin??

Maroubranos

Maroubranos

Honestly i reckon SoO is played at the wrong time of the season and apart from hurting many team chances it does nothing for the competition and exists just to boost revenues for television and the NRL. I would like to see it moved to after GF. Last year it seemed that both Creagh and Sowie suffered injuries from SoO that they never recovered from, so this year i hope we dont see too many dragons called up to this fiasco. Unfortunately though i can see after a few games that Merrin is a definite with perhaps Scott also. I am concerned that a few others maybe used although i dont expect soward to be called. We have players to cover the loss of Merrin or Scott though. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

I hope we get snubbed also :) 
Stooge007

Stooge007

Morris and Soward would be outside shots

probly same with Creagh

Weyman might be in the mix if he keeps up his form

Merrin and Scott have big chances 
saints

saints

Well - we know flo and maybe Fein will go to NZ for the test. Both Stanleys would also be in the mix.

SOO wise ... if Sticky sticks with last year's mob a few of our blokes would be in with a chance - eg Sowie, Merrin, Scott, and possibly Morris, Prior, and Creagh. Hunt may also be in the mix. If we are going too well he may go outside the square - eg DB and/or Rein.

I'd say Deano has had his day. Coops and Benny H have said - no thanks.

What is Vidot ? Aussie or NZer ? I know i know this - but can't remember. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

isn't one stanley set for NZ and the other australia

forgot who has alleigences with which 
marcusev

marcusev

Vidot is a Queenslander, Chase is with NZ whilst Kyle is eligible for NSW.

Morris
Soward
Scott
Creagh
Merrin

are probably our best chances of origin this year. I'm betting that one of Creagh/Scott will be snubbed for one of the many second rowers we have up and coming in the state, which will probably push G. Stewart to the starting lineup.

If Merrin keeps up those performances off the bench I don't see why he won't be picked again.

Looking like a better period for us this year around Origin time (compared to last year) thats for sure 
cpr_89

cpr_89

wouldn't be surprised to see no Dragons play. Maybe Beau Scott but that's it 
Maroubranos

Maroubranos

My fear also sj is that DB or Rein may get a call for the third game if we lose the first two. Prior and Hunt are on the fringe also. 
shauncrilley

shauncrilley

I would be. Especially if we push and maintain a top 4 position. Even if we were struggling for wins, a handful of Dragons are still generally picked. 
Maximus89

Maximus89

Lol this is one of the funniest things I've ever read. DB is De Belin right? Unless about 50 backrowers get injured between now and then, he is no chance. Rein is just not going to happen either. As for Prior being on the fringe. Lol geez some of you massively overrate our players. Prior on the fringe when we have Creagh, Scott, Watmough, Williams, Stewart, Gallen, Bird, Lewis, Sims, Mateo, Minichiello, Aubusson, Houston plus probably many more that I'm forgetting, who are all so far in front of him despite the fact a couple of them are terrible. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

dragons fans lets be possitive. No dragons to be picked this year it stuffed up our momentum last season we were going great till SOO and we never recovered. 
Maximus89

Maximus89

Hey wasn't it all because Bennett announced he was leaving? At least that is what I read on here :rolls: 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

it fits their agenda ;) 
Maroubranos

Maroubranos

Unfortunately you have failed to comprehend the written word - i wrote that these young players like other good youngsters from other teams too may be put on trial at this level if NSW lose the first two games. Obviously if the blues are winning they wont get a look in. 
Waldo1

Waldo1

Depends if the NSW selectors decide to move with the times or not. Also, the timing of Origin shouldn't change in my opinion, the Broncos got royally shafted by it in the 90's and early 00's. Moving to the end of the season shifts the Internationals which would make a very long season. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

the way NSW SOO is going everyone gets a turn :lol:

I wonder how many new combinations we can come up with this year. IF sandow was a NSW he would even get a go, maybe QLD will pick him tho :lol: 
saints

saints

Yes - this was part of it alright. But, Max, it all doesn't come down to one reason for all things. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

SJ let me introduce you to mr sarcasm. I have a feeling you guys have not met before :lol: 
saints

saints

Ahh yes - me and Mr S have met before M - don't you worry about that ... ;) 
Maroubranos

Maroubranos

I guess it all comes down to the value placed on SoO and Internationals over the real comp by many fans. To me the comp for the club trophy is what i value the standard of which should not be affected by side shows. 
Maximus89

Maximus89

Like who? When has a rookie like De Belin (who while he has been good, hasn't been playing like an origin backrower) ever been picked? 
marcusev

marcusev

Trent Merrin last year :P 
Maximus89

Maximus89

Merrin had already played in, and won, a grand final. 
Maroubranos

Maroubranos

Yep he did play in a grand final off the bench and was called up and trialed at SoO level following, ahead of many established and in form prop forwards. Selectors saw potential and rewarded him. There are a few persons in the know that see something special in DB and even Prior whom you like to bash from time to time so it would not surprise me to see them and other youngsters trialed if NSW cant win the series. 
Maximus89

Maximus89

Merrin was one of the in-form props. There was only 3 times in the first 16 weeks that he didn't make over 100m, and in a lot of them he was averaging 10 metres a run.

2010 we lost 3-nil, and the only youngster who got selected for game 3 was Mannah, who had played 28 games the previous season. The only other debutants were Gordon (60+ appearances), King (100+) and Snowden (50+). The only other changes to the team that weren't players who had played during the series were Jennings and Bird, 2 more experienced players. So really it doesn't happen as you describe it. 

Recent Rugby League Posts

Awks - And 2 years of the 8 my 2 nephews have been members.. Congratulations to the u12s in the finals win over nsw 26-6
sportsnews30 - It’s Australia vs New Zealand in the Bledisloe Cup on Saturday.The match is slated to start at 8 p.m. AEST (10 p.m. NZST, 10 a.m. GMT) at...
ALX21 - Congrats to Sam Lavea for his debut 2 weeks ago. Jack Morris named for his debut for the Eels.
sportsnews30 - Taranaki vs Counties Manukau live stream Rugby 2014 online streaming & TV Channels. We must be ensure you the best online Rugby Live stre...
Fromthenest - Frenchville SS 46 def St Pats Gympie 4. They will play Weir SS sometime in the next fortnight.
seaeagles - your post is a good while back now,but I think you are on to a good thing there.i am based on the southern tip of the central coast(ex-Sy...
OutbackEyes - CAIRNS FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND 2014 Tassell Trophy Club Challenge Under 14’s Carnival will be held at Vico Oval, Irene St Mooroobool, Cairns...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181