The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Dragons and Rabbitohs set for 30th Charity Shield

Maximus89

Maximus89

If we play like we did in the first half, we will be lucky to win a game this season. Even with it being a trial, that was horrible.

Fien, despite a terrible game, should still be starting half in round 1. I wonder how many people who are claiming Drinkwater is our saviour had ever seen him play before? He should have been brought on at half time to give him a good go, but in the 15-20 minutes he had, he did very little. If Fien is rubbish in the first few rounds, then bring Drinkwater in.

Beale was ok. He is small, so needs to improve his ball playing quicker than Boyd did, but he has the ability.

Vidot is good for the hitups, but has no idea about defence in the centres (the exact reason I doubted him as a 2ndrower when you were all talking him up for a move to the forwards). It will be a massive risk playing him at centre in 1st grade. Chase should get first shot at right centre.

Prior and Henderson looked good at prop, but Henderson should go back to the Cutters with Weyman and Hunt in the side. Prior should be in the side, but he must play either lock or prop. Keep him in the middle.

I didn't take much notice of Frizell, but Harrison was worse, so Frizell wins the right edge 2nd row position.

I like the idea of giving Merrin more minutes playing at lock (although he did play long minutes when coming on at prop), but I felt it nullified his impact to an extent. In saying that, he has started at lock in the past.

Hopefully Rein is ok, as he is becoming one of our best players. 
jako58au1

jako58au1

Price has to make big changes.Get rid of Soward & Fein.Put Drinkwater at 7.Put Todd Ryan,Adam Quinlan or Beale at 5/8.Get BMoz into the centre,Coops is to predictable & injury prone.BMoz is wasted on the wing & needs to get the ball more often.Get Cummins into the side ASAP.We may lose some games till the side gells but what is the diff. in losing with a young lineup that is trying to losing with an ageing lineup that can't try!!!!!! 
Maximus89

Maximus89

*facepalm*

The sad thing is that you aren't even the first person I've seen here suggesting we put Beale at 5/8th :S I'm still trying to work out why anyone even thought about it, let alone why they thought it would be a good idea. 
jako58au1

jako58au1

It was stated in another forum that Beale was training at 5/8 during pre-season training. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Soward and Fien are the halves, there's no other choice. We can't give drinkwater a run based on the trials and besides, we will need him at some stage of the season and when that happens he needs to be ready. Fien won't last. 
manolos

manolos

Agree...I only worry we still haven't recruited well enough... Halves are weak and we lack depth in the centres... no strike power there. We looked a rabble in the charity shield. The tries we scored were more due to individual flare rather than our attack as a team gelling. Price has now had 2 off seasons to work on our attack..which he has stated he is doing and yet our players look like they don't know what is going on in attack... Cannot see any improvement from last year. Hope I'm wrong. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Price gave Frizell the most game time so you'd think he would play there. I can see why, there's something there but not sure if it's the right decision at this stage, he made too many mistakes last night and it was similar to last week.

I'd consider Harrison but it would only be on reputation/experience, he hasn't done much. I wouldn't revisit Prior back there though, he's better in the middle. Matthews should've got time there, not sure why he didnt.

I'm going to advocate moving Stockwell wider. He played really well in the trials, is mobile enough, good in defence and it will be good for his development as a player. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Price has brought in some new ideas, that's pretty clear. Whether he can get the players to buy into it and/or execute it and/or make adjustments is the real question. He hasn't come into an easy situation but it's also how he got the job in the first place so hopefully he can make the best of it. 
kit

kit

Well everyone's writing us off and handing us the wooden spoon but I reckon you're all wrong and over reacting to the Souths loss.
I just watched that second half again and it wouldn't hurt for a few of you to have another look either. We dominated the first 25 minutes in field position and go forward, we stopped them scoring a number of times with great online defence and we scored 2 tries to nil. Then, even after losing both Rein and King (on top of Coops and nightie at half time) we were still dominating. It took two dodgy decisions in the last 10 minutes - the one on one strip and the Goodwin knock on being missed - to give Souths another shot at our line that they converted. Their last try was a gift.
The first half was our worst half of footy in 20 years ( 9 completions wtf ) and won't be repeated.
We'll be gunning for the 8 this year you watch. 
Maroubranos

Maroubranos

Agree with you concerning Fien, Beale, Prior, Rein, Vidot & Merrin. Price also needs to think hard about the back row, lock & bench before the Storm game. Somehow I think Henderson has done enough and has the experience we need to hold a bench spot, together with King. Creagh is an obvious pick along with?? I though Ah Mau looked solid and took the attack up while I still rate Matthews and wished he had more of a run. Perhaps they could use Frizell off the bench more as an impact player? Harrison looked lost at times.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Prior join Weyman up front in the 1st game considering Hunt has yet to have a run. 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

You are saying numerous things that I have already said before. I have copped flake for making similiar comments. 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

Yeah, I think Stockwell would be more suited to the back row to start his first grade career. 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

The only reason that I suggested Beale at 5/8 is because Soward and Fien are so sh*t and because Soward will not go to the line and draw and commit defenders to set up his runners. Beale would probably take on the line more than Soward too. But I still am not a Beale fan. 
novasaint

novasaint

Trial matches fellas.Wait till round 5 then re-asses opinions.I feel we will not have a good year with a great deal of gelling to be done mainly in the backline,but,the team does have the weapons to shake things up.
Wait and see.We may not rule the roost but the Dragons will fire up later. 
stanleyg

stanleyg

its way to early to be playing who will get the spoon.
All you can do is make assumptions based on the trials. Everyone has a point they can take from those games and for the most part it isnt good but there was a couple of minutes of good play we can take heart from.

Soward will lift his game, the forwards will draw the opposition and offload to use the ball rather than one out running. Most importantly in defence they will move up to tackle and not bunch up leaving the outside vulnerable like in the bunnies game. 
saints

saints

I was reasonably happy with the boys. They showed promise in many areas and did some good things.

Lets hope no bad injury. 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

I'd love to be more optimistic and glass half full, but ffs we are so predictable and boring to watch the only way we score points is by boring the opposition to death.

Was really hoping to see some improvement, but I saw very little. Decent teams will carve us up all day long if we play like that this year.

Fien OUT
Drinkwater IN

we have no other option at 7 
saints

saints

Don't you worry about the halves - the halves will become whole ... ;) 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

wtf does that even mean??? :I

:lol: 
cpr_89

cpr_89

I think you mean flack which you copped for infecting every thread with your thoughts on the matter. 
saints

saints

All things in good time Grass Hopper ... ;) 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

We fcuking get it.

You don't have to repeat it with every post in every thread. 
jako58au1

jako58au1

Lets just get back on the subject,we need something to spark our non existent attack!!!!!! 4f@#Ksake. 
Maximus89

Maximus89

Why not just put Weyman there? He will certainly take on the line more than Soward, but like Beale, he is unlikely to pass, which makes him a failure as 5/8th. Your halves need to be able to pass and kick. Beale doesn't kick. If only one of your halves kicks, you need a fullback or hooker who does. Morris and Rein don't. Therefore you would be left with whichever of Fien (who is shit at general field kicking) or a rookie Drinkwater is at halfback. Leaving a rookie as the only general field kicker in the team is a stupid idea. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

If we want to go down that path of covering for the halves in defence we may as well put Prior back. But I'm not in favour of that at all.

Stockwell is more mobile than most props coming through and he hasn't quite filled out yet, I'm sure he could handle it. I think he is similar to what Prior was when Bennett first put him there, except that he has more potential. Think of it as an opportunity to help develop the game of one of our best forward prospects while he is in form and others aren't. We can still have Frizell off the bench. 

Recent Rugby League Posts

OutbackEyes - The Venues and Match Details for next weekend's Connell and Meninga Cup semi-finals.The respective winners will meet in the state finals....
ALX21 - Also Dawson Cross made the Wide Bay team @eileen.
ALX21 - NYC RD 7 Squads Titans 17 J.Wedderburn-Parish Cowboys 17 C.Hess Broncos 2 E.Alick 6 J.Nikorima 7 W.Brimson 17 G.Fai
BobRiley - Did qld ever win a origin match after the hooter
showaheart - Any headgear is good headgear, my only advice is to buy something he wants to wear, the hardest thing I found with the young one's, is ge...
Footyfreak1971 - Yes it will be interesting to see I how many boys will be picked from the zone teams in 14s. I don't think we will see many, because ther...
grandad - I played for taxation in early 60's and i'm sure there was a team from mail exchange
Northqld - What about with the u/15 QAS team, are they too only made up of contracted players??? Not sure about that. Do they get to play at any ot...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168