The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Dragons and Rabbitohs set for 30th Charity Shield

SaintAnger

SaintAnger

I was one of them.

Thought he was largely useless on the wing at the Broncs. Difference is he came down here to be coached under Bennett and played the best footy of his career. Beale, on the other hand, will be under the tutorlege of an unknown. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Beale has more natural skill than Boyd and will be able to adapt to the attacking aspect better. Still might take some time, as it did with Boyd.

defensively he will need work, though. Interesting to see how that develops. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

it took Boyd a year roughly to show attacking plays.

Will Beale take that long? 
Maroubranos

Maroubranos

Agree. He showed a lot of spark and involvement in the trial game a great deal more than Boyd showed early on with the Dragons. I feel confident that he can only improve. 
stanleyg

stanleyg

Great game by the Bunnies.
It could be a long season for the Dragons
Same ol crap stand and wait defence
crap attack
The only thing new about their game was the crappy game strip they played in.
Ds should be happy as soward has gone back to the wave his hands about defence and catch and pass the ball play. He did have one piece of brilliance where he got the dragons a penalty though.
Hopefully seeing it was a trial (and also a trial to watch) they will get thier act together sooner rather than later:popcorn: 
MrChook

MrChook

Dragons looked a different team when Drinkwater came on the field, he is a must for your #7 jersey IMO. Yes, he is a bit raw but he has to debut sooner or later. Put him in now, he is infinitely better than haveing Fein there.

Merrin at lock - I dunno know about this, I'd still prefer him as prop. It might work, but it may not, but its worth continuing the experiment for a bit just to let him find his feet. The guy is quality so the more game time he gets the better off the Dragons will be. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

drinkwater didn't do much, if there was a change it probably reflects how poor Fien was more than anything. 
MrChook

MrChook

If you were coach, who would you go with Wata? Drinkwater looks your long term prospect (that is until young Hastings comes through;)). Fein has a lot of NRL experience but not a great deal of ability. 
southsport

southsport

dragons can improve markedly simply by not dropping the ball and by completing their sets, they kept themselves under pressure for most of the game. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

we have to pick Fien, there's no other choice. drinkwater needs more time. he will play first grade at some stage and we need him to be more ready. I think we will be looking at a mid season pick up.

I wouldn't call drinkwater a long term prospect yet, although he is good enough to become one, I suppose. There's actually a few halves coming through but it will be a year or two before we start to hear about them and then they have to develop their game. One has just started U20s (Shannon Crook).

Hastings is now playing hooker, btw. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

I like to think I'm quite optimistic about the team and our chances but that game was painful to watch. 
manolos

manolos

Wish I had your optimism. Looked like the same old rubbish from last year. Boy, haven't we slipped away quickly from the Bennett years. Sides are no longer intimidated by us.Its going to be a long year. 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

****ing tragic. Nothing overly positive to say tbh more of the same uninspiring shit from last season.

Fien - if he is our answer at 7 then we are truly ****ed.

We are by far the most boring team to watch its just :lol: 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

Soward and Fien are both useless and so is Beale. If we could have a decent pair of halves and a good fullback then I think we would be a totally different team and we would make the top 8.

I have high hopes for Drinkwater, but I am still not convinced. I would buy Sam Williams from Canberra and make sure that we have a halfback for next year, which would leave Kyle and Drinkwater to fight out the 5/8 spot.

Right now we have to play Drinkwater at half, he is our only hope. 
knitey

knitey

I thought Beale had a solid game, as did Fein, Soward for the most part ran around waving his arms. 
Maroubranos

Maroubranos

Not happy about the performance however I still need to remind myself that it was a trial. Beaten by a side that was close to a GF appearance last year, stronger now and definitely in with a great chance in 2013, is not so tragic.

2013 was always going to be the commencement of a growth period for the Dragons, we have just lost too much experience & a great captain since the Bennett era & 2010. I would like to give our new players, younger players & their coach the opportunity to build a new team without whinging about. It may take this year to see new combinations form - I just hope Parra or Penrith are worse off than us. 
kit

kit

That's a good point about the rebuilding, we need to realize just how many good players we've lost and how many young blokes and new recruits we have working their way into the team, not to mention a rookie coach. It'll take time, it's that simple. Nobody else is expecting much from us this year and the fans shouldn't either, rather we should support our team no matter what - for better or worse even.

The first half last night we ran out with what I expect would be a last choice (or down the list) starting pack against one of the biggest packs in the comp and it showed. We had no go forward and consequently no room for our halves or backs. Add to that a thousand dropped balls and some unsettled and ineffective defence and they put 3 tries on us. Second half we woke up a bit and had players like Ah Mau, Weyman and De Belin out there matching it with the Bunnie's pack and we came out of it 2 tries a piece ( one we gifted to them ). I think in the months ahead we'll see the boys playing more like they did in the 2nd half rather than the 1st for sure. We should also expect that some of the new combinations will start to click. On paper we still have a very strong team (depending on who Price picks of course ) and I'm optimistic we can challenge for the Eight. Last night wasn't great but we saw some good things to go with the good things we saw in the NQ game, no way should anyone be writing us off yet. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

Am I the only one worried on how many points Melbourne will score against us round 1 :( 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

I wish I was as optimistic as Kit, but after last nights display I can't see us challenging for anything.

The Storm have the potential to rack up a lot of points :| 
kit

kit

Think about it though, with a starting pack more like Weyman, Rein, Hunt up front supported by Creagh, Merrin, Frizell ( or Prior) with Ah Mau, De Belin and possibly Stockwell and King on the bench we look a much better side than last night. And look at our backline - Beale, Morris, Coops or Stanley, Vidot and Nightie. Not bad and we have Quinlan, Goodwin, Green and others to back them up.

Of course Price could start with Prior and Henderson again in which case we're doomed. Seriously though common sense usually prevails. 
MadMike

MadMike

Remember last night was still a trial, couple of weeks to work on what you can improve 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

It's funny that opposition fans are more optimistic than we are :lol: 
MadMike

MadMike

Someone has to be 
stanleyg

stanleyg

I think Vidot could be Coopers eventual replacement in the centres and he showed promise.
Merrin belongs in the front row where he can draw tacklers and offload.He is not mobile or fast enough as a lock.
The test for the Dragons line up will be how they go in their first few competition games against the top teams. 
MrChook

MrChook

A little birdy told me he is about to sign with the Roosters!!! 

Recent Rugby League Posts

seaeagles - nothing sensible to say ,you poor excuse for a human fastwater! get a brain & you will be dangerous!
ALX21 - Semi FinalJ.Nikorima and Fai named on the bench for the Broncos.
KHemsleyrulz - I realise this thread is quite old, but I'm chasing a copy of this book myself - does anyone know where I can find one?
eagle10 - there is a team list on stingers site but its versing a Toowoomba rep side
surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
bossshoel - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181