The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Dragons and Rabbitohs set for 30th Charity Shield

MacarthurSaints

MacarthurSaints

Saturday 29 Dec 2012 15:06

http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php?v=20 http://s7.addthis.com/static/btn/lg-share-en.gif http://www.addthis.com/feed.php http://s7.addthis.com/static/btn/sm-rss-en.gif http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php http://s7.addthis.com/button1-email.gif
http://www.rleague.com/images/uploads/792_img.jpg

#rugbyleague #nrl Rugby League's great rivals the St George Illawarra Dragons and South Sydney Rabbitohs will battle it out in the 30th annual Charity Shield match at ANZ Stadium on Friday 22 February.

The Dragons hold a 16-9 (four draws) advantage over the Rabbitohs in Charity Shield and the 2013 fixture will be the pre-season highlight before the NRL season swings into action on Thursday 7 March.

The Dragons were 18-12 victors in last season's Charity Shield encounter, scoring three tries en-route to the their successful silverware defence with Matt Cooper, Jamie Soward and Daniel Vidot all crossing in the win.

For the Rabbitohs, it was one of their first games under new coach Michael Maguire and the Bunnies went on to finish just one game short of a grand final berth in their greatest season since 1971.

Dragons coach Steve Price said of the historic 30th encounter: "The Charity Shield is always a competitive match and this time around it will be the last hit-out for us before the 2013 Telstra Premiership kicks-off.

"The entire team will be nearing the end of their pre-season preparations and this match-up against our traditional rivals will provide the perfect platform for them to step-up and be noticed.

"Past encounters on the field between the two teams have always been tough and I believe it will be no different this time around."

Tickets for the clash will go on sale through Ticketek in mid-January. Visit http://www.ticketek.com.au/ www.ticketek.com.au or call 132 849.

source: http://http//www.anzstadium.com.au http://www.anzstadium.com.au ] on 
View all 112 comments
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

Yeah, I think Stockwell would be more suited to the back row to start his first grade career. 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

The only reason that I suggested Beale at 5/8 is because Soward and Fien are so sh*t and because Soward will not go to the line and draw and commit defenders to set up his runners. Beale would probably take on the line more than Soward too. But I still am not a Beale fan. 
novasaint

novasaint

Trial matches fellas.Wait till round 5 then re-asses opinions.I feel we will not have a good year with a great deal of gelling to be done mainly in the backline,but,the team does have the weapons to shake things up.
Wait and see.We may not rule the roost but the Dragons will fire up later. 
stanleyg

stanleyg

its way to early to be playing who will get the spoon.
All you can do is make assumptions based on the trials. Everyone has a point they can take from those games and for the most part it isnt good but there was a couple of minutes of good play we can take heart from.

Soward will lift his game, the forwards will draw the opposition and offload to use the ball rather than one out running. Most importantly in defence they will move up to tackle and not bunch up leaving the outside vulnerable like in the bunnies game. 
saints

saints

I was reasonably happy with the boys. They showed promise in many areas and did some good things.

Lets hope no bad injury. 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

I'd love to be more optimistic and glass half full, but ffs we are so predictable and boring to watch the only way we score points is by boring the opposition to death.

Was really hoping to see some improvement, but I saw very little. Decent teams will carve us up all day long if we play like that this year.

Fien OUT
Drinkwater IN

we have no other option at 7 
saints

saints

Don't you worry about the halves - the halves will become whole ... ;) 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

wtf does that even mean??? :I

:lol: 
cpr_89

cpr_89

I think you mean flack which you copped for infecting every thread with your thoughts on the matter. 
saints

saints

All things in good time Grass Hopper ... ;) 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

We fcuking get it.

You don't have to repeat it with every post in every thread. 
jako58au1

jako58au1

Lets just get back on the subject,we need something to spark our non existent attack!!!!!! 4f@#Ksake. 
Maximus89

Maximus89

Why not just put Weyman there? He will certainly take on the line more than Soward, but like Beale, he is unlikely to pass, which makes him a failure as 5/8th. Your halves need to be able to pass and kick. Beale doesn't kick. If only one of your halves kicks, you need a fullback or hooker who does. Morris and Rein don't. Therefore you would be left with whichever of Fien (who is shit at general field kicking) or a rookie Drinkwater is at halfback. Leaving a rookie as the only general field kicker in the team is a stupid idea. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

If we want to go down that path of covering for the halves in defence we may as well put Prior back. But I'm not in favour of that at all.

Stockwell is more mobile than most props coming through and he hasn't quite filled out yet, I'm sure he could handle it. I think he is similar to what Prior was when Bennett first put him there, except that he has more potential. Think of it as an opportunity to help develop the game of one of our best forward prospects while he is in form and others aren't. We can still have Frizell off the bench. 
Maroubranos

Maroubranos

I can't help thinking that Matthews is our best option"for now" in assisting the half's down one side. He is mobile and can defend well and was used in this role, towards the end of last season. Leave Prior in for Hunt and perhaps Stockwell off the bench until we see how our new players progress under Price. 
stanleyg

stanleyg

Weyman wouldnt be an option at 5/8th BUT you could suggest MERRIN for the spot.
He takes on the line
Draws the defence and can offload and pass
Putting occasional kick wouldnt be beyond his skills either.

He would be more useful at 5/8th than lock.:popcorn: 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Matthews has barely played in the trials. 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

I'm a massive Cooper fan, but he is just a parody of himself now. Sluggish, injured, and forever chasing the game. I feel sorry for him. Should have retired 2 seasons ago and gone out a Saints legend.

He knows he's not up for it, why not just walk away? 
kit

kit

I think he'd like to retire but knows we've already lost a lot of experience in the last 2 years. I like to think he's staying because we need him to help some of the younger players through. Also he didn't look sluggish in the trials, he looked keen and mean against the Cowboys, he played really well I thought.
If he honestly thought he wasn't up to it he'd retire I reckon. 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

If he had gone last year would have freed up some $$ to have a decent crack at Jennings.

I can only hope he makes me eat my words. :) 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

We have/had enough cash to have a decent shot at Jennings. The story is/was that Jennings manager didn't want him to go to Saints.
We also had a shot at Folau and we had enough salary cap space to make him a decent offer, but Folou knock us back too. We have a very bad record of not getting the players that we attempt to sign. It gets back to Doust and Craig Young. The players managers don't even want to deal with Craig Young. 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

Makes you wonder what sort of offers we come up with to attract players..:I 
kit

kit

I heard that too, how the f@#* can that happen. Isn't that restriction of trade or something. Any player manager that does that should be banned. Jennings would have been a great buy even though we have plenty of backs. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

I think we will get a better indication of our ability to recruit players after this year. We will almost certainly have room to move now, I don't expect us to buy all these big names but I would that we get some good young players on the up. 
Maximus89

Maximus89

How can you mention Young being at fault having talked about Jennings rejecting us? Jennings agreed to a deal that was organised between he, the Panthers and us. He was ready to sign, but his manager Isaac Moses heard about it, and blocked the agreement. He didn't want him to sign for us. Moses is also Folau's manager. 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

Personally I am not too concerned about us not signing Jennings. I think he wants/gets way too much money, yes Penrith would have been paying some of his contract this year, but only this year.

As for Folau, he would have been a good signing, but again I don't want us spending 800K on a center.

I want us to sign the right players in the right positions. Unless Drinkwater proves to be something special this year we are desperate for a good halfback. Unless Kyle can stay fit we are desperate for a good 5/8. We need one or even 2 good forwards, forwards who are classy but are tough and other players don't like playing against them. Papalii would have been perfect. Even O'Donnell or Smith would good for a season or 2 for us. If B Morris isn't going to play fullback, then we need a good fullback and if Morris isn't going to play fullback then he should play left center when Coops retires.

As I said, I have heard that player managers don't even want to deal with Craig Young. Now that is going to make things even harder for us to sign quality players. 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

seaeagles - nothing sensible to say ,you poor excuse for a human fastwater! get a brain & you will be dangerous!
ALX21 - Semi FinalJ.Nikorima and Fai named on the bench for the Broncos.
KHemsleyrulz - I realise this thread is quite old, but I'm chasing a copy of this book myself - does anyone know where I can find one?
eagle10 - there is a team list on stingers site but its versing a Toowoomba rep side
surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
bossshoel - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181