The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Dragons De-vour and Dissing Thread. (For the Dragons fans)

DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

No it isn't. The point of the thread was to get people's opinion as to whether Beale or Hoppa will be superstars. Plain and simple. My prediction vs Soward's prediction. but you can read into it what ever you like.

I don't see how it gets put in the dissing thread. 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

There was an artical on the Zero site saying that Hoppa wants out from his Parra contract. The artical said that he is not happy with how they treated his brother. So he may be a free aget again. If he is I would love to have him in a Saints jersey, but I don't think it will happen. 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

Let go of what? I am not talking about Soward's game. Only his opinion vs my opinion. I was asking for other Saints fans opinion. You are welcome to express yours. That is the idea. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Because your obsession over Beale is just as bad. 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

I think fullback will be Hoppa's best position, then center and then wing. I rate him up there with Inglis. Yeah I know that is a massive call and I am prepared to make it. That is why I want us to sign him so much. Where do you and everyone else rate Hoppa and Beale? That is what I am asking.

Hoppa should definently play fullback, because if he does he will be the NSW fullback long term. I would take Hoppa over Hayne for fullback. Hayne will be on at least 800K season next year. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Asking who is better between Hoppa and Beale is like asking who is better between Soward and Thurston...what do you expect people to say, seriously.

Hopoate is just about the best young outside back in the country....not exactly ground breaking opinion to think he is any good. I think his best position is in the centres although he could probably earn more as a fullback long term. 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

The reason that I started the thread was because Soward predicted that Beale will be a superstar. While I predicted that Hoppa will be. That was the point of the thread to discuss whether either or both or none will be superstars. There was no dissing intended. exept for Soward's opinon.

So you would obviously like us to sign Hoppa? 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

To my knowledge Hoppa played fullback as a junior. He was playing fullback for NSW as a junior.

If he plays center he will be one of the best too. 
saints

saints

I can see a useful combo forming. Just, for interests sake, say Dugan was sacked and came to us - AND played 5/8th. We move Sowie to half. We have a reasonable looking back line and attack. Would need time to develop but could be good. As I said elsewhere - Duges reminds me a bit of Choc. 
kit

kit

What is the problem at the Dragons ?
Our First grade team is 4th last on the ladder and with questionable depth faces an uphill battle to improve much.
Our NSW Cup and NYC sides are running dead last. That's 11 games for the 3 teams all up for just 2 wins.
Obviously our First Grade recruitment has been poor to say the least but what's happened to our depth and our usual wealth of talent coming through the ranks. Are we letting the good ones go or are we losing good prospects to other codes or what ?
Is the club low on cash ? Did we spend too much buying ourselves a Premiership with Bennett.
Most importantly what can we do to improve our lot ?

Would like to hear your thoughts. 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

There is a lot wrong with us.

It starts at the top. Doust may be good with the financial, business, admin and commercial side of things, but when it comes to the football side of things he is not up to the job. In an artical in the Tele on Friday, Doust refered to Hunt and Nightingale as marquee players. lol

Craig Young our recruitment officer is obviously not up to his job either. I have read that numerous player managers don't even want to deal with him. The only players we recruited last year were Beale (waste of money), Frizzell (could be a good buy), Harrison (not worth mentioning) and Drinkwater (still waiting to see if he is good). The year before we signed Vidot (not a major signing) and Moltzen, who reniged on his contract (not concerned about not getting him anyway. So basically our recruitment has been pathetic. Doust and Young are responsible for recruitment and should be sacked immediatly.

We could have had Cronk here this year if Doust and Young would have offered Cronk 800K a season instead of the 650K a season. Now I read that we are prepared to pay Carney 800K a season and hope to sign Aubusson (I would not sign Aubusson), Mateo ( I would not sign Mateo) and Joel Thompson(I have not seen enough of him to comment), but besides Carney none of them are anything special. Carney has not played halfback for almost 5 years and I was not that impressed with him last year at Cronulla.

Price is not up to his job either.

It looks like Doust, Price and Young don't see the game on a level which is required. Like the level Sterlo sees the game.

Then we get to our halves and fullback. These are 3 of the most important positions on the field. Our halves and fullback are not good enough. If we could sign marquee players in those positions then we would be back in business. We have a 5/8 who is a Claytens 5/8, the 5/8 you have when you don't have a 5/8. He is too afraid to be playing footy. He will not go to the line and draw and commit defenders before passing the ball. He will not straighten the attack up. He will not thow a dummy and go himslef, alah Thurston, he won't double pump and thow a good ball. The media will say that he passes too early or will not pass under pressure, because if he does pass under pressure or throw a good late ball he risks getting hit just as he passes the ball and getting hit isn't part of Soward's game. He won't even put a grubber in goal for a repete set as one has to be close to the opposition defensive line to put a grubber in goal.

We do need at least another 2 good forwards, players who other players don't like playing against, players who put fear into the oppositon and are damaging runners and have football skills. Papalii, Sonny Bill, Tamou or Sam Burgess would have been perfect or Kassiano and Scott would have fit the bill.

We had the money to make a massive bid for Bellamy and if we got him, we were hoping to have Cronk come with him, so it doesn't sound like we have financial problems.

The first things that we should do according to me is. Drop Soward. I would give King first shot to cover 5/8 this year. He played in the halves a junior. If he didn't work then I would try Drinkwater at 5/8 with Fien. I would also consider Drinkwater and King as a halves pairing. I have not seen enough of our lower grade halves to comment on them. Then we should put Morris back to fullback. I would definently have DeBelin in the side ahead of Harrison, I have massive wraps on DeBelin.

We have to buy some good players and especially a good halfback to partener Kyle next year. I would make Josh Reynolds my number one target while he is still unsigned for next year. Carney and Williams would be my next targets. I think Frank Paul could be a good buy, I think he is a rough diamond who needs a bit of polish, he is tough and has some skills. I am not a big Dugan fan, but it could be worth gambling on him as he looks like the best fullback available for next year, if he can stay fit. but the fact that his own team mates wanted him go so bad is not good. If it was possible to sign Will Hoppa then he would be the best tallent on the market and a future superstar fullback, if he plays there. I think we have to start looking toward signing players for 2015 as we should have a lot of money to spend. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

I thought the CEO main functions is the business side of things? It is a good thing Doust has us in a strong position in that regard right? 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

Yes it is a good thing if Doust has us in a strong position financially.

But isn't Doust responsible for Recruitment along with Craig Young? Isn't Doust responsible for Young being our recruitment officer? Isn't doust responsible for Price being our coach? I just don't think Doust has the insight on a football level. Maybe Doust should get Sterlo to be an adviser to him and whoever coach's us. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

What needs to be understood is that Bennett came here to do a job, there wasn't enough long term planning involved. We let a lot of good players go under Bennett, players like JMorris, Whare, Leilua, Henry, McKinnon and Linnett, players that would have come in handy right about now. Lack of opportunities and the salary cap did it's thing and we lost them. We got what we wanted by getting a premiership but it has left us without depth.

That said, we still have managed to bring a few players through like Merrin, Rein, King, KStanley, CStanley, de Belin, Stockwell. We've had mixed results here and not a lot of luck so far but we do have a good record of developing players so hopefully we will see real progress soon. Over the next couple of years we will see players like Runciman, Cummins and from the NYC team.

It's early days with the NYC team. They have only had three regulars from last year playing (Garvey, Brennan, Runciman) and Cummins is still injured. They will improve a lot when the team develops and Cummins returns.

That said, I do think it's an area that could have been improved though, I know a popular view is that we should buy all the big names but what we really should be doing is making the NYC teams strong so we can draw upon. This is what we have done so well in the past and while that has gone by the wayside with pretty weak teams over the past couple of years we can get it all back soon.

Anyway, the U18s teams are supposed to be pretty good and next year they will start to be in our NYC team. Ben Hornby and dean Young coach those sides, hopefully the kids will benefit here. 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

ALX21 - RD 21 SquadsBulldogs15 D.MaroskeStorm14 J.Turpin15 C.GaloRaiders6 L.LewisBroncos5 E.Alick6 J.Nikorima14 W.BrimsonCowboys6 T.Carucci7 C.Ba...
Fromthenest - Well there you go. Apparently Wide Bay's final is being played Thursday between Norville SS of Bundy and St Pat's Gympie. I am lead to be...
seaeagles - your post is a good while back now,but I think you are on to a good thing there.i am based on the southern tip of the central coast(ex-Sy...
OutbackEyes - CAIRNS FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND 2014 Tassell Trophy Club Challenge Under 14’s Carnival will be held at Vico Oval, Irene St Mooroobool, Cairns...
Leblancboys - Carina have had a number of season ending injuries and a coaching crisis mid year which can hurt the boys. East have been struggling for ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
ALX21 - Cowboys should lock Marshall Hudson in for a few years. One to keep an eye on.

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181