The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Dragons De-vour and Dissing Thread. (For the Dragons fans)

MacarthurSaints

MacarthurSaints

[CENTER] ALL
I've been reading many, many thread about critism of our beloved Dragons. The players, the coaching staff and the selectors.

I've watched many threads get de-railed by this negative chat.

Here is a proposal.

Everyone is entitled to a opinion.

Let's throw all sledging, putting down, and Dragon trash talk here.

Keep it out of the main threads.
UNLESS

It's specifically relating to the current topic there at the time.
#This thread is a trial and we encourage whinging or critisism to occur only here.
# It's for fans to vent, not for external followers to sledgefest us or our club.

A poll is being set up with this to get a decision if this is where we go with this type of Dragons bantering here only.[/CENTER] 
View all 214 comments
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

Soward will not throw a dummy and go himself. He is too afraid of getting hit. He dogs it bigtime. Everything he does with the ball in his hands if far enough away from the defensive line to make sure that the defence can't lay a hand on him. He will not even put a grubber in goal as one has to be close to the opposition defensive line to do that. He will not even commit defenders before throwing a good late ball to put a runnner through a hole. 
professional

professional

orly? You don't think Soward is good? 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

Gasnier was on a pittance for the first 1/2 a year that he came back, but then he was on a back ended contract and would have been on at least 450K a season.

Hunt is not worth big money at all either. 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

OK I will attempt to estimate. Gaz 450K, Boyd 350K, Scott 300K, Young 250K, Hornby 275K, Fien 225K and Soward 330K plus 700K cap increase, plus 200K marquee player alowance increase would add up to 3.1 mil.

Now we have bought Chase Stanley, he would not be on more than 150K, We have upgraded Merrin, say he was on 100K before and I will estimate 275K now. Kyle would have been on around 100K and would probably be upgraded to 175K. Rein from 60K to 175K. DeBelin on around 125K. Morris a 60K upgrade and Nightingale a 50K upgrade. King on 125K Frizzel 150K at the most. Beale who is a complete waste of money I have heard 280K. Drinkwater 125K So I will estimate that at around 1.3 mil, so I would estimate that at having close to 1.7 mil left to spend with Soward gone too. So attempt to tell me where the other 1.7 mil would be.

They are just estimations. My point is that who have we replaced the likes of Gaz, Boyd, Scott, Young and Hornby with, the players who we have brought are no names or up and comers who are yet to prove themselves capable replacements for the ones we have lost. And we should be letting Soward and Fien go too. And we should have another 900K added on to our cap to spend. We should have a lot of money to spend or we are paying the current crop too much. 
Maximus89

Maximus89

Geez after trying to claim he will be here you have certainly changed your tune. 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

Gladiola; I would rather play Merrin at 5/8 than Soward. lol At least he would take on the line, he would draw and commit defenders before throwing a good late ball, he would offload in tackles instead of just submiting on the very rare occasions that he does get tackled and he would even put a grubber in goal for a repeat set and Merrin's defence would be a lot better than Soward's too. lol All that Soward offers is his long kicking game, his cross field chip in the opposition's 20m zone and his cut out pass. lol

What it sounds like you rate Sowards defence quite highly. lol

Bennett did actually say regarding Soward playing origin in 2010 that you should not pick someone who shouldn't be there. Just because I can not direct you to look up the interview does not mean that he didn't say it. I have no need to make things up and my imagination is not that good. lol See if you can get in contact with Bennett, you should still have his phone number from when you played under him and ask him for your self if he actually said that. lol

Lockyer was over rated. If a player has terrible defence they should never be rated as highly as Lockyer was.

No, the reason that Gasnier never got back to his best was because he was playing outside Soward who would not straighten the attack up, who would not go to the line and draw players before passing him the ball. The 2 years out of the game should not have made much difference at all, he should have been back to his best after 3 or 4 games at the most, but the media kept on talking about the 2 years out of the game rather than seeing that Soward was the problem. Gasnier even spoke of Soward having to go to the line and draw and commit defenders for his outside players after the Parra game just before Soward got picked for origin, but you must have missed the interview as you were in the change rooms after the game celebrating the good win. lol I can't prove that Gasnier said that in the interview after the game either, contact channel nine and see if you can get a hold of that game and the interview after it and you will see for your self that Gaz said somthing along those lines. Or if you still have Gaz's number ring him up yourself and ask him if he said that too. lol 
Maximus89

Maximus89

Ah I love how every claim you make about what someone said can't be proven. Everything you ever post is "such and such said, but sorry I can't prove it, you will just have to take my word for it". Try making claims you can back up and you might gain some credibility. 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

I am very confident to predict that Will Hoppoate will be a superstar of the game over the next 10 years. Last week Soward predicted that Gerad Beale will be a superstar. I don't think that Beale is even good enough to play fullback for Saints not alone become a superstar.

Predict if either or both or neither will become superstars. Also say who you would rather have playing fullback for us. Come on have a say everyone.

MS may even want to put up the poll question Hoppa or Beale.

While we are at it if anyone wishes to predict any other young players will reach superstar status then predict.

I was at the last seven's tornament. Canterbury picked a squad of no names. One of them was Sonny Bill. We had never heard his name mentioned before. My mate noticed him and put the biggest wrap on him ever, my mate thought he was a center. That was one of the best calls ever.

I don't think we will sign Hoppa. We don't compete for player that other clubs really want. We only sign offcuts. I think that Hoppa will be playing for Manly or Canterbury wth Easts the other darkhorse. All of those clubs do actually sign big name players. 
Maximus89

Maximus89

Hopoate is already signed for Parramatta.

Oh and if the release clause was true, and he activated it and left, it would be to play with his brother, so congratulations on the ability to read that he would go to Manly. It doesn't count as a prediction when you are told exactly what would happen.

Oh and apparently Beale isn't good enough to play fullback for us so he can't be a superstar, but no matter which club Hopoate plays for, he won't play fullback. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

lol, you really need to let this go 
MrChook

MrChook

Have I missed something? Isn't Hoppa Jnr contracted to the Eels when he returns from his religious thingy? 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

its another thread attacking the current dragons regime in a round the bout way :lol: 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

No it isn't. The point of the thread was to get people's opinion as to whether Beale or Hoppa will be superstars. Plain and simple. My prediction vs Soward's prediction. but you can read into it what ever you like.

I don't see how it gets put in the dissing thread. 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

There was an artical on the Zero site saying that Hoppa wants out from his Parra contract. The artical said that he is not happy with how they treated his brother. So he may be a free aget again. If he is I would love to have him in a Saints jersey, but I don't think it will happen. 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

Let go of what? I am not talking about Soward's game. Only his opinion vs my opinion. I was asking for other Saints fans opinion. You are welcome to express yours. That is the idea. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Because your obsession over Beale is just as bad. 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

I think fullback will be Hoppa's best position, then center and then wing. I rate him up there with Inglis. Yeah I know that is a massive call and I am prepared to make it. That is why I want us to sign him so much. Where do you and everyone else rate Hoppa and Beale? That is what I am asking.

Hoppa should definently play fullback, because if he does he will be the NSW fullback long term. I would take Hoppa over Hayne for fullback. Hayne will be on at least 800K season next year. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Asking who is better between Hoppa and Beale is like asking who is better between Soward and Thurston...what do you expect people to say, seriously.

Hopoate is just about the best young outside back in the country....not exactly ground breaking opinion to think he is any good. I think his best position is in the centres although he could probably earn more as a fullback long term. 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

The reason that I started the thread was because Soward predicted that Beale will be a superstar. While I predicted that Hoppa will be. That was the point of the thread to discuss whether either or both or none will be superstars. There was no dissing intended. exept for Soward's opinon.

So you would obviously like us to sign Hoppa? 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

To my knowledge Hoppa played fullback as a junior. He was playing fullback for NSW as a junior.

If he plays center he will be one of the best too. 
saints

saints

I can see a useful combo forming. Just, for interests sake, say Dugan was sacked and came to us - AND played 5/8th. We move Sowie to half. We have a reasonable looking back line and attack. Would need time to develop but could be good. As I said elsewhere - Duges reminds me a bit of Choc. 
kit

kit

What is the problem at the Dragons ?
Our First grade team is 4th last on the ladder and with questionable depth faces an uphill battle to improve much.
Our NSW Cup and NYC sides are running dead last. That's 11 games for the 3 teams all up for just 2 wins.
Obviously our First Grade recruitment has been poor to say the least but what's happened to our depth and our usual wealth of talent coming through the ranks. Are we letting the good ones go or are we losing good prospects to other codes or what ?
Is the club low on cash ? Did we spend too much buying ourselves a Premiership with Bennett.
Most importantly what can we do to improve our lot ?

Would like to hear your thoughts. 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

There is a lot wrong with us.

It starts at the top. Doust may be good with the financial, business, admin and commercial side of things, but when it comes to the football side of things he is not up to the job. In an artical in the Tele on Friday, Doust refered to Hunt and Nightingale as marquee players. lol

Craig Young our recruitment officer is obviously not up to his job either. I have read that numerous player managers don't even want to deal with him. The only players we recruited last year were Beale (waste of money), Frizzell (could be a good buy), Harrison (not worth mentioning) and Drinkwater (still waiting to see if he is good). The year before we signed Vidot (not a major signing) and Moltzen, who reniged on his contract (not concerned about not getting him anyway. So basically our recruitment has been pathetic. Doust and Young are responsible for recruitment and should be sacked immediatly.

We could have had Cronk here this year if Doust and Young would have offered Cronk 800K a season instead of the 650K a season. Now I read that we are prepared to pay Carney 800K a season and hope to sign Aubusson (I would not sign Aubusson), Mateo ( I would not sign Mateo) and Joel Thompson(I have not seen enough of him to comment), but besides Carney none of them are anything special. Carney has not played halfback for almost 5 years and I was not that impressed with him last year at Cronulla.

Price is not up to his job either.

It looks like Doust, Price and Young don't see the game on a level which is required. Like the level Sterlo sees the game.

Then we get to our halves and fullback. These are 3 of the most important positions on the field. Our halves and fullback are not good enough. If we could sign marquee players in those positions then we would be back in business. We have a 5/8 who is a Claytens 5/8, the 5/8 you have when you don't have a 5/8. He is too afraid to be playing footy. He will not go to the line and draw and commit defenders before passing the ball. He will not straighten the attack up. He will not thow a dummy and go himslef, alah Thurston, he won't double pump and thow a good ball. The media will say that he passes too early or will not pass under pressure, because if he does pass under pressure or throw a good late ball he risks getting hit just as he passes the ball and getting hit isn't part of Soward's game. He won't even put a grubber in goal for a repete set as one has to be close to the opposition defensive line to put a grubber in goal.

We do need at least another 2 good forwards, players who other players don't like playing against, players who put fear into the oppositon and are damaging runners and have football skills. Papalii, Sonny Bill, Tamou or Sam Burgess would have been perfect or Kassiano and Scott would have fit the bill.

We had the money to make a massive bid for Bellamy and if we got him, we were hoping to have Cronk come with him, so it doesn't sound like we have financial problems.

The first things that we should do according to me is. Drop Soward. I would give King first shot to cover 5/8 this year. He played in the halves a junior. If he didn't work then I would try Drinkwater at 5/8 with Fien. I would also consider Drinkwater and King as a halves pairing. I have not seen enough of our lower grade halves to comment on them. Then we should put Morris back to fullback. I would definently have DeBelin in the side ahead of Harrison, I have massive wraps on DeBelin.

We have to buy some good players and especially a good halfback to partener Kyle next year. I would make Josh Reynolds my number one target while he is still unsigned for next year. Carney and Williams would be my next targets. I think Frank Paul could be a good buy, I think he is a rough diamond who needs a bit of polish, he is tough and has some skills. I am not a big Dugan fan, but it could be worth gambling on him as he looks like the best fullback available for next year, if he can stay fit. but the fact that his own team mates wanted him go so bad is not good. If it was possible to sign Will Hoppa then he would be the best tallent on the market and a future superstar fullback, if he plays there. I think we have to start looking toward signing players for 2015 as we should have a lot of money to spend. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

I thought the CEO main functions is the business side of things? It is a good thing Doust has us in a strong position in that regard right? 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

Yes it is a good thing if Doust has us in a strong position financially.

But isn't Doust responsible for Recruitment along with Craig Young? Isn't Doust responsible for Young being our recruitment officer? Isn't doust responsible for Price being our coach? I just don't think Doust has the insight on a football level. Maybe Doust should get Sterlo to be an adviser to him and whoever coach's us. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

What needs to be understood is that Bennett came here to do a job, there wasn't enough long term planning involved. We let a lot of good players go under Bennett, players like JMorris, Whare, Leilua, Henry, McKinnon and Linnett, players that would have come in handy right about now. Lack of opportunities and the salary cap did it's thing and we lost them. We got what we wanted by getting a premiership but it has left us without depth.

That said, we still have managed to bring a few players through like Merrin, Rein, King, KStanley, CStanley, de Belin, Stockwell. We've had mixed results here and not a lot of luck so far but we do have a good record of developing players so hopefully we will see real progress soon. Over the next couple of years we will see players like Runciman, Cummins and from the NYC team.

It's early days with the NYC team. They have only had three regulars from last year playing (Garvey, Brennan, Runciman) and Cummins is still injured. They will improve a lot when the team develops and Cummins returns.

That said, I do think it's an area that could have been improved though, I know a popular view is that we should buy all the big names but what we really should be doing is making the NYC teams strong so we can draw upon. This is what we have done so well in the past and while that has gone by the wayside with pretty weak teams over the past couple of years we can get it all back soon.

Anyway, the U18s teams are supposed to be pretty good and next year they will start to be in our NYC team. Ben Hornby and dean Young coach those sides, hopefully the kids will benefit here. 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

ALX21 - NYC RD 7 Results Broncos: J.Nikorima 3 tries, 5 goals
OutbackEyes - The Venues and Match Details for next weekend's Connell and Meninga Cup semi-finals.The respective winners will meet in the state finals....
ALX21 - Also Dawson Cross made the Wide Bay team @eileen.
BobRiley - Did qld ever win a origin match after the hooter
showaheart - Any headgear is good headgear, my only advice is to buy something he wants to wear, the hardest thing I found with the young one's, is ge...
Footyfreak1971 - Yes it will be interesting to see I how many boys will be picked from the zone teams in 14s. I don't think we will see many, because ther...
grandad - I played for taxation in early 60's and i'm sure there was a team from mail exchange
Northqld - What about with the u/15 QAS team, are they too only made up of contracted players??? Not sure about that. Do they get to play at any ot...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168