The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

2013/14 Contract Signing: Player Movements, rumours etc...To Date.

Syren

Syren

He's definitely past his prime, but perhaps we are looking at some veteran leadership? 
MacarthurSaints

MacarthurSaints

Word in another forum is that Corey Payne is being checked out by the Roosters...Lets keep a eye on that one.:errr: 
novasaint

novasaint

I thought we purchased Woolford and Peek for experience.
So now we are chasing another 'veteren'.C'mon we have enough older players to lean on.How about signing a younger player and let him learn through playing.
St george/Illawarra no longer the new 'Chargers' bit the new Seagulls.FFS! 
MisterT

MisterT

Saints have plenty of younger players. Need more experience that is for sure. This years team is basically 95% young players.

Hornby and Coops are the only backs with more than 100 NRL games under their belts. In the halves they have Gaz (If fit) with more than 100 games.
And in the forwards they have Ryles, Peek, Woolford & Poore with 100 games. Creagh and Young would be close to it.

Getting experience players is the way to go but not guys that are injury prone like Fletch although on his day was a pretty damaging player and had a great offload. 
Syren

Syren

We still have the by far the youngest squad and a couple more old heads would only make us better. Most teams blood youngsters one by one or two at the time, we are basically plugging like half of the team full of youngsters with combined first grade games under 50. 
Stooge007

Stooge007

it's just a shame we end up losing all of our good young talent to other clubs, due to them chasing the $'s :(

hopefully Gas, Young, Morris's have the same red and white blood in them that their uncles/fathers did 
Syren

Syren

Its gonna be harder and harder to see one club players unless league put some sort of veteran discount in the salary cap. 
Stooge007

Stooge007

i know.

it's ridiculous.

$100k extra (in total) no matter if you have 1 or 5 ten year players.

i think you should get some sort of discount for home-grown juniors. incentivise clubs to develop young players. i guess that then works against those clubs without a significant junior football program 
cpr_89

cpr_89

roosters much? :lol: 
Syren

Syren

Firstly they need to define what is a home grown talent. Then they need to give those players salary cap concession after 5-10 yrs in the top 25. 5 years being a small concession and 10 years being a bigger concession. 
Stooge007

Stooge007

agree, but it does discriminate against other clubs that don't have much in terms of junior football programs (unlike us who has the Illawarra which is a rich breeding ground) 
Syren

Syren

Perhaps the concession can be extended to all players, say if some club signed a youngster from another club and has played ever since for 10 years, they will still get the concession? 
petew89

petew89

I dont want anything to do with Gaz being 5/8. Hes a centre. End of story. And as for Hornby. Hes a fullback. And if we get Sailor i have no dramas with him playing in the 2nd row.

Id be happy to see this as our starting 13:

1. Hornby
2. Morris
3. Gaz
4. Cooper
5. Morris
6. Rangi Chase? (Uncertain about the 2008 5/8)
7. Soward
8. Poore
9. Woolford
10. Ryles
11. Sailor
12. Young
13. Creagh 
Stooge007

Stooge007

i'd be happy with that line-up.

however, the chances of it staying intact without injury for more than half the season are slim

if we did manage to stay relatively injury free, we should have a decent shot at the title (as we do every year though) 
Stooge007

Stooge007

after today's massacre, surely we need to lock up Rangi Chase as our #6 for the next 3 years???

once he can play consistently well, he'll be a force to be reckoned with.

then we can play Gas in the centres, like he should be.

Hornby
Morris
Gas
Coops
Morris
Chase
Soward

that's a solid back line!!! 
Syren

Syren

Woo la la 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

and where does Chase Stanley figure into all this..?? 
Stooge007

Stooge007

Poore
Woolford/Ellis
Ryles
Young
Stanley
Creagh

has Ellis been re-signed too??? 
novasaint

novasaint

But you can have an experienced player at a far younger age.
I only question why we need someone so old.We should be looking for a player of abouy 26 age mark.A player with less mileage but a longer playing span. 
Stooge007

Stooge007

^ agree.

although, if we can get both Sailor and Fletcher for basically match payments, that wouldn't be too bad. 
Syren

Syren

The thing is our players will grow into those 26yrs that you are talking about, so getting some veterans wouldnt be too bad. 
MacarthurSaints

MacarthurSaints

I gather that management needs a really cheap experienced head for a short amount of time, the younger they get you began to either not get the particular player you are after or they are too expensive for what they are needed for in the first place.

It's not a new thing our club is starting to do, think of a few recent guys who have been very usefull, Kevin Campion and Albert Torrins served the purpose well and they were quiet old but very usefull. 
Syren

Syren

Generally speaking those 26yr olds are the most expensive players on the market. 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

heck, where does Nightingale fit into all this...?? 
Baileyana

Baileyana

Into the slot of whomever is injured at the time. 

Recent Rugby League Posts

ALX21 - Semi FinalJ.Nikorima and Fai named on the bench for the Broncos.
KHemsleyrulz - I realise this thread is quite old, but I'm chasing a copy of this book myself - does anyone know where I can find one?
eagle10 - there is a team list on stingers site but its versing a Toowoomba rep side
surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
bossshoel - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
bossshoel - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181