The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

2013/14 Contract Signing: Player Movements, rumours etc...To Date.

Dragonheart

Dragonheart

FFS....every one keeps whinging about Doust letting Houston go. The guy has played a handful of 1st grade games, and yes...shows potential to be great one day. You think Doust said let's not offer him a contract? No...they offered him a decent contract for a player at his level. Not Doust's fault that Brian Smith and Knights management offer him a contract with payment double the size of the Dragons offer. If you want to blame anyone, blame Houston for taking the extra dollars. I think you will find you can't really blame him for accepting the better offer. Get over it....

If Doust matched the Knights offer, it may have meant not having enough to re sign Ryles, or Hornby. What if he offered Houston the big money already, and he turned out like Head....you all having a spack about the money Head is on, and not performing to earn it. 
Dragonheart

Dragonheart

and GS....how many times have you been told that the Dragons did not let Bailey. He chose to go.....not like they could chain him up to the wire fence around OKI.

At least give the Sailor thing a chance. I am sure he isn't costing us much more than packet of smarties anyway. What if he plays and starts doing really well for us? At least wait and see what he does before you bag him. Signing him had nothing to do with letting anyone else go. 
Dragonheart

Dragonheart

Bailey's decision to move up to the Gold Coast had nothing to do with the money is was earning....it was a lifestyle change for he and his family, which yes...had a few hiccups early on due to cold feet, nothing else.

Is that the same marshmallow man who keeps polling Dally M points most weeks? 
novasaint

novasaint

You have very valid points Dragonheart but in my opinion those that are in control of the playing roster have lost the plot.
Have a look at the players that the Dragons have either purchased or retained compared to those that we have let go .
The loss of young players such as Housten,Wicks,Sims and Hewitt will definitely come back to haunt us.
Brian Smith has very good eye for talent.He knows how to build teams.He's proven that in the past.. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

yeah, count the premierships! :lol:

sorry couldnt resist. i agree with you though.

he was close to the form prop in the comp leading into the origin series imo. not sure where that form has gone now though. 
Dragonheart

Dragonheart

Wicks is fat, lazy and will never be much better than he is today
Sims has been showing potential for the last 4 years. He has never exceeded the level he was at when he first started with us. His attitude to training is sh*thouse.
Hewitt has played what, 2 first grade games? He is a winger, one position that can and will be easily replaced by any of many good wingers running around today, or tomorrow.
Houston has shown great potential, but so did Sims when he first hit 1st grade. Still a gamble to throw the kind of money at him that Brian Smith did. It may pay off for the Knights, it may also backfire on them. Out of our hands what happens there with Houston, but not through any fault of or management.
The guys we retained....Ryles, Hornby....surely you aren't suggesting we should have let them go to keep the other guys? 
MacarthurSaints

MacarthurSaints

The drum goes "Boom Boom" i've never once winged about the loss of the above mentioned 4, everyone is saying that we have got rid of so many young players and brought oldie had beens, have you ever once thought that we have a backlog of juniors waiting for there chance ?

We didn't compete in the jersey flegg team this year and guys who were fleggers came up to reserves and then to 1st grade, do you think that the talent pool is empty:roll: .

There are 100's of guys in the lower grades just waiting for there shot, alot of you often forget we have some of th best talent scouts out there, do you think they went on a holiday for 12 months.

If we let go of Wicks,Sims,Houston etc..... just imagine whats growing in the paddocks......

Have i raised a few eyebrows?

Are the negative posters starting to realise that these oldie signups are not replacing young guys, they are merily experienced heads hired to nuture the talent thats about to come through.Just like Woolford has been.
We have one of the best wingers in the world on his day coming here.
Josh Perry and Ben Ross are props who possibly are here to motivate our big pack, both have played origin and are experienced heads
Have you seen Godzilla winge and bitch repeatedly about the loss of young talents.

He knows whats out there.:angel: 
GodzIlla

GodzIlla

haha Don't look at me as the paradigm of hope DS, I'm as emotionally unbalanced as any Dragons supporter.

Of the players we've released so far the only ones I would've preferred to keep are Williams and Houston. Richie because I've seen what he's capable of and gifted halves aren't easy to come by, and Houston because he is a quality young prop with leadership qualities.

With Houston Newcastle offered at least double what the Dragons were prepared to pay. Unfortunate, but with the salary cap a fact of life we had to let him go. But before we lose our minds consider that he had played less than 10 first grade games, and that (it certainly seems) that the Dragons' well of props does not seem capable of running dry. Dan Hunt is 18 months younger than Houston, made his debut before him and was snapped up to an extended deal in early April. I've mentioned Matt Mundine before and he also appears to be something special.

For props it is definitely a seller's market and with demand so high it is very difficult to keep them. 
Dragonheart

Dragonheart

That leading team is Albion Park Oak Flats Eagles, and they have been sh*t hot for the last few years. Undefeated on 20 points, but the 12 or 14 points is what the second best teams are on. Bit hard to judge Flegg kids in this comp....so many old hard heads running around week after week. Brent Sherwin's older brother still playing and leading the Bulldogs down here. 
twinkletoeGAZ

twinkletoeGAZ

DS well thoughtout post. I feel a little humbled by reading it.

Think about the hype of the first game if Wendall runs out in a Big Red V 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Group 7 btw.

aren't all the flegg players scattered all over the place? what about the illawarra (wollongong area) first grade comp, and then there would be the st george district area too? 
MacarthurSaints

MacarthurSaints

They are only weird decisions because we do not know the whole reason for it.Tell me this, does a jigsaw puzzle look any good if it is only half complete ?

We haven't yet seen the big picture, just glimpses of it. 
novasaint

novasaint

Cant have players of flegg ability fill the void left by players that have been let go.
By the time that crop of players reach first grade the likes of Woolford,Peek,Isemonger and Ryles will have retired.Who does that leave us with to lead the new pack?
I've got a great idea.How about we buy some more older players and sell the younger ones .Yeh that will do.
St George/Illawarra retiremen club."The New Chargers" 
Dragonheart

Dragonheart

Hitting my head on a brick wall would be less painful than discussing this with you guys. Honestly, can you name me one young future star player we have sold this year? And you better not say Houston, because for the 1000th time, we offered him what certainly was a reasonable contract for a player at his level, but were outbidded by someone willing to gamble a lot more money. So, name me one young star that we sold..... 
novasaint

novasaint

Hello Dragonheart,tis the brick wall again.
Why do we sign the likes of Peek,Isemonger,Woolford yet let ,dare i mention his name,Wicks and Houston leave.Surely the older players money would have kept those two alone.I dont see the point of refilling a pack with twilight players at the expence of younger "future stars'.
Do you agree that Williams had what it takes to make a name for himself.Rangi Chase is a decent 5/8 but , imo for what its worth,Williams will be a fine player given time and tutoring by the right people.He reminds me of a previous 5/8 that had,and still has,alot to say.
The Dragons have a lot of ability in the backs,but not much happening in the engine room where it all begins. 
Stooge007

Stooge007

So, to wrap up, we've lost/losing:

Sims - Broncos
Hewitt - Broncos?
Naiqama - Knights
Mad Pup - Knights
Wicks - Knights
Houston - Knights
Williams - Panthers

did i miss anyone?

Add to these:

Head (rest of season, dunno how likely he will be to return next)
Young (rest of season, maybe career if staph is serious)
B Morris (rest of season)

An who have we signed?

Lett
Sailor

awesome guys 
novasaint

novasaint

Yep.Well wrapped up. 
Dragonheart

Dragonheart

You honestly believe that we will sign no one else, but Sailor and Lett....how do you type in that straight jacket? 
Dragonheart

Dragonheart

Peek and Woolford were signed to do a particular job this year....and despite the poor form of our team, I can assure you that if we did not have Woolford, and to a lesser extent Peek....we would not even have 4 wins on the board. Do you think Woolford was a poor signing for the Dragons? That'll do me.....

Wicks is a fat and lazy nobody....and we will be all the better for letting him go. Losing Houston may very well come back to haunt us....but again, not our managements fault he is gone... 
Stooge007

Stooge007

i know, but all the players we were suppsoedly targetting, are starting to sign elsewhere.

Watmough - signed with Manly
Perry - signed with Manly
Civoniceva - going to England?

we should have freed up enough cash for another decent signing. we need some more forwards!!! 
Dragonheart

Dragonheart

Watmough was never going to leave Manly
I am glad Perry signed with Manly....I was ready to jump ship to support the Doggies if we had signed him....well, almost.
Civ....I don't think we were ever in the hunt for his sig anyway.
Still rumblings around in regards to Luke Douglas...but I am not confident about signing him. Maybe Ben Ross, and I am still hearing Jeremy Smith from Melbourne.

If it were up to me....I would have used every spare dollar on signing Civ and Michael Monaghan / Travis Burns. I reckon they would have been the 2 best options available to fill our weaknesses. 
TheChello

TheChello

I agree. Games I've watched, both have played pretty well. Houston is a loss though. Perry - what a useless liability he is for any side - a side like Manly probably will fit with him nicely.....Has Ryles gone? Perhaps if you sign Petero he might stay.....
Given the lack of depth of quality halfbacks, I tend to agree with you. Did Monaghan outprice himself for the NRL to pick up the easy bickies in UK? Who can blame him? He has always stated he was a half back. I think Soward could be good for you given some time ...... 
Syren

Syren

If we lost Houston due to the fact we retained Ryles then fair enough really. I wouldnt mind the Soward/Monaghan combo, but then I think we will go back to Gasnier/Soward next year. 
twinkletoeGAZ

twinkletoeGAZ

Sim's brother is 17 or something WTF..

resigned
Ryles, Hornby on Big $$ and Letu & Nightingale

Need to sign
Ellis,Peek and Lulia

Don't care so much about Payne & Isemonger who are of contract very soon

With Hornby, Cooper, Ryles, Creagh, Young & Gaz they can't afford to cough out too much on another big name..

I'm assuming they are going to try and keep some in the kitty for the Morris Bro's and Stanley who will need pretty big top ups to keep in up and coming years. (Hence why we are clearing out some dead like Head on $300,000). With the sal cap we are pretty balanced atm if they can clear Heads contract for next year (if he stays in Hull). 
twinkletoeGAZ

twinkletoeGAZ

Sims - Broncos.. (overpriced) showed promise but not worth $250,000 a season
Hewitt - Broncos.. we have more than enough wingers
Naiqama - Knights.. Morris will cover his spot
Mad Pup - Knights.. Bonvoyage.. don't think one Dragon fan cares
Wicks - Knights.. ? Not sure what to think
Houston - Knights.. Overpriced again, could not afford, needed to keep Ryles
Williams - Panthers.. Bad blood between he and the club, will not reach his potential with us.

Head (rest of season, dunno how likely he will be to return next)
Young (rest of season, maybe career if staph is serious)
B Morris (rest of season)
2008 year of the dragon if injuries are kind! 

Recent Rugby League Posts

OutbackEyes - The Venues and Match Details for next weekend's Connell and Meninga Cup semi-finals.The respective winners will meet in the state finals....
ALX21 - Also Dawson Cross made the Wide Bay team @eileen.
ALX21 - NYC RD 7 Squads Titans 17 J.Wedderburn-Parish Cowboys 17 C.Hess Broncos 2 E.Alick 6 J.Nikorima 7 W.Brimson 17 G.Fai
BobRiley - Did qld ever win a origin match after the hooter
showaheart - Any headgear is good headgear, my only advice is to buy something he wants to wear, the hardest thing I found with the young one's, is ge...
Footyfreak1971 - Yes it will be interesting to see I how many boys will be picked from the zone teams in 14s. I don't think we will see many, because ther...
grandad - I played for taxation in early 60's and i'm sure there was a team from mail exchange
Northqld - What about with the u/15 QAS team, are they too only made up of contracted players??? Not sure about that. Do they get to play at any ot...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168