The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

2013/14 Contract Signing: Player Movements, rumours etc...To Date.

twinkletoeGAZ

twinkletoeGAZ

I like bukuya also, big fan. We really need an organizing and creative half. Just like 80% of other teams. If Drinkwater develops, awesome. 
Maximus89

Maximus89

Lol you would take a guy who has maybe played 1 game at centre over the best centre in the game? 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

What is obsession with moving Morris? Didn't Bennett say he is a natural textbook winger. Wouldn't moving him to another position actually weaken two positions? 
professional

professional

Yep. Leave wingers on the wing. People need to resist this temptation to move every good winger into the centres. 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

Dugan is nothing like Choc. It is like comparing apples and oranges. 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

There are many good centers and fullbacks who started their first grade careers on the wing. I will name a few for you all. Steve Renouff, Matt Cooper, Mark Gasnier, Boyd, Minichello, Josh Morris, Brett Mullins, Brian Johnston, Mark Coyne, Will Hoppoate, Hayne and Folau. Lucky their coaches has the vision to give them a run at center or fullback. 
saints

saints

I happen to like both. But perhaps give reasons rather than just bland assertions !

Have you seen both play - in a game - live ? Have you thought about your comment before puting pen to paper ?

Morris is a wing - that is known.

Gillette would be a useful buy IMO. 
professional

professional

Half those players aren't even example of wingers moving infield. 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

Every single one of those players made their first grade debuts on the wing. Besides Gasnier, everyone of them were regular wingers until their coach moved them to fullback or center.

If you still disagree then tell me which ones you disagree with.

BTW all of those that I named were off the top of my head. I sure that if I gave it more thought I could come up with another 12 good ones. 
professional

professional

And that matters how? Because you debut on the wing doesn't make you a winger in the genuine sense. It just means that for the sake of team balance, your coach has selected you there to acclimatise you to the NRL. Gasnier was always a centre, Cooper was always a centre, Renouf was always a centre, Hayne was always a centre/fullback etc. They all played their junior football in those positions and only debuted on the wing because it is the easier position to crack a FG roster in.

FFS Gasnier and Renouf barely played 10 games on the wing between them, including them on the list is inane. They were 100% centres who just got put on the wing for a handful of games to begin their career. Nobody seriously viewed them as wingers ever.

The inclusion of Folau is also ridiculous. He is a perfect example of players who shouldn't be moved infield. He was an excellent winger and an average centre. He had no footwork, no ball skills, a poor defender and never ran any lines. He was completely unsuited to the centres and only got by because he was big and strong. The only motivation behind moving him into the centres was because people thought that his talent was "wasted" on the wing. 
MrFourex

MrFourex

Did well while he was at Brisbane. Scored 37 tries in 2 yrs.....mostly from centre.

I think your perfect example is perfect example for reasons of which you probably won't like

ie: your full of shit again...... 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

I do know that all of those players would not have played wing in their juniors. Well neither would have Brett Morris. I am pretty sure that he played fullback as a junior. Nathan Brown was going to play him fullback in 07 or 08, but he got injured and missed most of that season I think.

My point is that Brett Morris is TOO GOOD to be stuck on the wing. He should either be playing fullback or center. But yes he is the best winger in the game.

BTW Renouff played quite a few games on the wing before being moved to center and he was a top winger.

Coops played about a year on the wing before moving to the centers.

Hayne spent his rookie year playing on the wing. And when ever he plays for NSW on the wing he goes exellent.

If a club buys Folau what position do you think they will play him? Because I think any club that buys him would be looking at him as a center. They certainally would not be planning to spend 800K a season (that Parra were going to pay him) to play him on the wing. 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

Back to what this thread is about.

Josh Reynolds looks like resigning with Canterbury for 475K a season after knocking back an offer of equal amount from another Sydney club, could we have been that club? I think that we could have.

In the same artical it mentioned Todd Carney and Sam Williams being on the market and said that we have been linked with both of them. It got me thinking, imagin if we got both of them. That would be very interesting. I always say start with a good pair of halves and build a team around them. My only concern is will Kyle and Drinkwater be special. Anyway having an abundence of tallent in the halves would be a good problem to have.

We look to be emerging as favourites to sign Dugan. Even though I said no to signing him, I do know that if we do sign him, he could become a great signing, but him being constantly injured is the biggest concern followed by his attitude and it looks like he has had an attitude problem for a long time.

Where I am going with this is that Carney and Dugan are good mates and even wanted to rent a place together when they both played at Canberra, but the club vetoed it(probably was the right thing to do). So could it turn into a package deal of sorts?

Personlly my first choice would be Sam Williams with Kyle. I think they wouldmake a great pair of halves, if Kyle can stay fit. But Williams with Carney could be a top combination too. As long as Carney doesn't dog it. I thought that he dogged it last year. Maybe it was his injury?

I actually think that Sam Williams will go to Canterbury. They have such a top squad, but their halfback is crap, they just need a top halfback. I think the opportunity to play for Canterbury and under Hasler will be much more attractive than to come and play for us. I think he will be exactly what Canterbury need. Hasler, Cleal and Greenberg look to have a very good eye for tallent. I would like us to buy those 3 and then go from there. Start at the top. 
professional

professional

No, he started a grand total of 4 games on the wing and a handful off the bench early in his career. He didn't play on the wing on more than 10 occasions in his entire career. 
Maximus89

Maximus89

Senor already owned you with a couple, but I would like to see you get owned a bit more

Renouf: 4 games on the wing in total, 3 (in 10 rounds) of which were before he was moved to centre. Yeah definitely a regular. http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/steve-renouf/positions.html

Cooper: played 5 times in the centres before his first game on the wing. So much for debuting on the wing http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/matt-cooper/positions.html

Gasnier: played a total of 6 games on the wing over a 3 year period. Only 1 game before playing in the centres http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/mark-gasnier/positions.html

J Morris: debuted at fullback, so again wrong http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/josh-morris/positions.html

Mullins: played 6 games on the wing before being moved http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/brett-mullins/positions.html

Johnston: debuted at centre, and played his first season there http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/brian-johnston/positions.html

Coyne: 1 game on the wing before being moved to centre http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/mark-coyne/positions.html

Now you are comparing them to Brett Morris who has started 99 games on the wing. The other 7 combined for 154 games on the wing. No comparison at all between them. Thanks for coming. 
MacarthurSaints

MacarthurSaints

Would you like to book a spot in rehab and front page of every paper in the world ?

That has Bad Press written all over it. 
saints

saints

Dogs have a useful half we could look at. Can't get a game there. 
kit

kit

Ordinary ? Yeah he's done little since 2011 except improved enough to become top point scorer in 2012 with 226 points including 16 tries ( same as Slater ). I don't know where you and DS get your info but you're both way off the mark. I'd much rather have Croker than Dugan. 
professional

professional

I usually get mine from watching the games rather than reading the list of try scorers and point scorers. Croker's play in the back half of 2012 was greatly overrated and the problems in his game are still very similar to the ones that he had when he first debuted. Simply put he isn't a left centre. He might have nice footwork but he seems to struggle to beat opposition centres on the wingside and he can't draw-and-pass to his winger very well. I think the former is because he played his junior football at right centre and the latter is just a flaw in his passing game that he needs to fix. Overall a centre who can't effectively work the space on the opposition's outside shoulder has very little value.

Even his defence is a bit overrated IMO. It is decent but he got carved up a couple of times last year, such as against Newcastle. These days he isn't in the top two centres at Canberra with both Ferguson and Wighton ahead of him. He either needs to move back to right centre or shift to the wing, where I think he would perform quite well. 
MrFourex

MrFourex

Senor considers a player ordinary if he scores a lot of points.

Points are unimportant to senor........it's all about the player's positioning & structure that counts. :rolls: 
professional

professional

:lol: You do exactly the same thing. You know just as well as I do that tries and points represent a small portion of a player's game and you are quite willing to rate a player highly even if they don't score often just as you are willing to bag a player even if they cross the line regularly.

You don't rate Josh Morris or Ashley Graham despite the fact that their try scoring feats would seem to demand recognition. Just like you don't rate Vatuvei or Uate as highly as most because of considerations other than the number of tries they score. You might pretend otherwise here but you do exactly the same thing as me. 
kit

kit

As soon as I see the word "overrated" in someone's opinion of a player I know there's little hope of any rational debate from here on in but anyway you're wrong. The reason I suggested Croker as a replacement for Cooper was his defence which is excellent especially close to the line.
I watch a lot of Canberra games because I have a soft spot for them and I'm yet to see Croker have the type of problems that you describe, he certainly has no problem finding the line. I don't care if he plays left or right centre for us I still think he's a good option and wouldn't let us down.
Plus I think we could get him at a very reasonable price. We'll be needing a kicker when Soward goes too. 
professional

professional

[QUOTE=kit;1496219]As soon as I see the word "overrated" in someone's opinion of a player I know there's little hope of any rational debate from here on in but anyway you're wrong. The reason I suggested Croker as a replacement for Cooper was his defence which is excellent especially close to the line.[/quote]

:P And why is that? 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

It's great we are actively looking at recruiting, but what do we offer? What is the incentive for a player to sign for us instead of another Club? 

Recent Rugby League Posts

ALX21 - Still not sold on the idea of a draft. What about expansion? Or relocating potentially two Sydney teams elsewhere?
ALX21 - Grand FinalJ.Nikorima and Fai named on the bench for the Broncos.
ALX21 - Interesting team named. I guess Josiah Cox missed out due to not having a passport???
sportsrugby - Live New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks online HD streaming TV info, video, score, highlights, preview, result.Watch NZ Al...
sportsrugby - Live New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks online HD streaming TV info, video, score, highlights, preview, result.Watch NZ Al...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181