The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

2013/14 Contract Signing: Player Movements, rumours etc...To Date.

rumackay

rumackay

Lol...now we're being linked to Dugan if (when) he gets the sack. We need his cancerous attitude and behaviour in this club like we need DS running the place as CEO. Do we really want ANOTHER injury prone player who spends most of his time on the sidelines?

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/canberra-raiders-fullback-josh-dugan-may-have-played-last-game-for-the-club-after-blow-up-with-coach-david-furner/story-e6frep5x-1226595932545

cpr_89

cpr_89

It would be hard to ignore a talent like Dugan, tbh. 
MrChook

MrChook

If Dragons express interest in Dugan then you can kiss goodbye getting anything out of Beale this year. It would just be telling him that the Dragons made a mistake signing him and they want to replace him already.

Its a similar situation when we signed Maloney. That early signing basically told Anasta he was getting the flick so in 2012 he played with a distinct lack of interest for the Chooks.

Clubs need to be mindful how they handle these sorts of things as it could kill off any confidence in your current playing roster. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

I don't know how that compares...Beale would not be pushed out of the club...he can also play centre and could provide extra depth for the halves. 
MrChook

MrChook

I'm not saying he'll be pushed out, I'm saying self doubt would creep in and you won't get 100% out of Beale.

Put yourself in Beale's shoes for a moment. He was signed up by you guys and I firmly believe part of the package sold to him would've been "Boyd has gone so we want you as or fullback, sign here and you'll be wearing the famous Dragons #1 jersey".

Now, if the Dragons come out tomorrow and say "we want Dugan to be our fullback" Beale would be wondering if moving to the Dragons just a big mistake as it gives the impression he is unwanted by the club after just 1 premership game. 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

Beale is no big Deal what so ever. I see him as a total dud buy. 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

As for Dugan. Yes is is a tallented footballer, but he is injured way too often and he appears to have a major attitude problem. I have read last year that his own team mates don't like him and that he spends too much time looking at himself in the mirror.

If Will Hoppa is back on the market then we should make him one of our number 1 targets along with Sam Williams. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

I don't think the club would've seen him as just a fullback, his ability to play centre would have come into it. I think the main thing about us was that he wasn't going to be playing on the wing like at the Broncos and he would get an upgraded salary that reflects that.

I would agree with you somewhat if we turned around and played him on the wing but I think he would still embrace playing in the centres just as much. 
rumackay

rumackay

I had to do a double take with the bolded bit, we finally agree on something 100% ...I suppose even a stopped clock is right twice a day :lol: 
Maximus89

Maximus89

So 500k on Hopoate now as well to go with 500k for Williams, Reynolds and Papalli. Doesn't leave much of that cap left when 1/3rd is gone on 4 players. 
Stooge007

Stooge007

yes to Dugan 
kit

kit

We need halves and one or two big, skillful second rowers not an injury prone under achiever with a massive attitude problem and I'd guess a big price tag. 
saints

saints

Yeah - like we need another 5/8th ... oops ... sorry DS ... :lol: 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

Mate I would go as high as 800K a season for Hoppa. He will be a superstar. Yeah I would go 500K a season for Josh Reynolds and Sam Williams. Hooker, halfback, 5/8 and fullback are the most important positions on the field.

Just remember the cap has just gone up by around 33% and will continue to rise 400K a season for the next 4 years. So that will equate to an increase of around around 70%. So a 300K contract will now be eqivilant to around 480K a season in terms or percentage of cap.

Our playing roster is not up to scatch. We will not make the 8 this year, because of poor recruitment. Good recruiting is our only hope to become competitive again. We already will be around 2.1 mil under the cap next year. If We don't resign Soward, Fien and Coops for next year then that will free up around another 800K. So that makes around 3 mil under the cap and then the marquee player allowance has gone up by 400K a season, so that would give us at least 3.4 mil to spend, Doust and Young can't take it with them. And that is not including any 3rd party deals which we should be doing too.

I don't think we would have any players on big money at our club. The highest paid players would be Coops, Soward and Creagh, but I couldn't see them on much more than 330K a season.

I am very interested to hear who you would like us to sign and how much you would go to secure their signiture, instead of always trying to shoot me down. We have to compete off the field to compete on the field.

We can't sign Papalii now anyway. His only options are Canberra and Parra. 
twinkletoeGAZ

twinkletoeGAZ

I think we should keep attitude as a strong criteria for recruitment. No Dugan. . 
twinkletoeGAZ

twinkletoeGAZ

Merrin and Morris would be on a bit. I do agree with recruitment in some key areas. 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

Oh yeah, I forgot Morris and I was going to mention Merrin, but I still could not see them on any more than 330K season. Probably around 300K a season. 
Maximus89

Maximus89

You do realise in your dumbarse idea to spend 2 million + on 4 players that that gives us an average of 190k for the remaining 21 players right? So half our squad would need to be on minimum wage to get a good starting 13. Your ideas of building a team are complete and utter shit. Under your method of building a team, we would need to use the likes of Bani, Ciraldo and Purtell just to play because we couldn't afford a decent team. Your wish is for us to go back to the mid-2000s where we have a few high paid players, and a bunch of nuffies, so if our stars get injured, we are screwed.

Your idea is a boom or bust scenario, where bust would win out 99% of the time. The only team to have ever won with an unbalanced team like you propose is Melbourne, and that is because they have the best fullback, the best halfback, and the best hooker in their team. So unless you are signing Slater, Smith and Cronk, it is a terrible idea that won't work.

As I said elsewhere, the last team to have won a premiership after going out and signing a million players like you want us to do, was Melbourne in 1999, and they didn't really have a choice. As much as you think that going out and signing every player available will make us premiers, it doesn't work like that. Teams win premierships by developing a squad, and complementing that with a couple of purchases.

I would only make 3 purchases. Lyon or Croker at centre, and if neither would come, Runciman would play left centre as any other off contract centres aren't good enough for us, or have potential like Runciman. Townsend would be signed to play halfback. Gillett or Bukuya would be signed for the backrow. Any others would be depth signings to replace ours that leave. 
DevoutSaint

DevoutSaint

So you think a squad of

1 Beale
2 Nightingale
3 Chase Stanley
4 Lyon who is around 30 years old or Croker who's defence is terrible
5 Morris
6 Soward
7 Townsand
13 Merrin
12 Creagh
11 Gillett or Bukuya
10 Weyman
9 Rein or King
8 Hunt

14 Ah mah
15 DeBelin
16 Prior
17 Stockwell
18 Frizzell
19 Runciman
20 Cummins
21 Quinlan
22 Vidot
23 Drinkwater
24 Kyle
25 Green
26 Harrison

Would be able to win a comp?

I don't.

I also think that we would be way under the cap with that squad, like 1 mil under at least.

I will say that Bukaya and Gillett are decent players who cluld develop. From what I have seen of Townsand I am not convinced yet. I would have to see more of him. but I would not consider Lyon or Croker. I would rather b Morris playing left center. 
kit

kit

DS, why do you keep saying Croker is a bad defender ? He 's not, he's a really good defender in both technique and positioning. His centre partner Blake Ferguson is a turnstile but he's not. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Croker is fine, he's still young and has played nearly 100 games already where Cooper wasn't even playing centre on a regular basis at the same age. He kicks goals as well and hasn't missed too many games through injury. He's no Cooper in defence but who cares, that's not something we are going to replace in a hurry. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

You forgot to mention the systematic cap rorting. No coincedence they are the only team that has players of that calibre in those positions. Maybe we should do that, sure we might get kicked out of the competition for a year but we'd come back and win the title in two ;) 
professional

professional

Croker is very ordinary. I used to rate him quite highly back in 2011 but he has done so little since then and his skillset looks poorly suited to playing left centre. I'd be looking to move him to the wing soon. 
saints

saints

Dugan reminds me a bit of Choc. Slight and rangy. Not a passer in the true sense. But a top 5/8th.

Sowie to half and to direct and leave "TRD" at the back. 
stanleyg

stanleyg

I think instead of DS idea of spending a motza on new players the club should be giving Soward a pay rise for playing in a team that cant seem to defend consistently and are mostly ball hogs in attack.
Soward has been worth every dollar. solid in defence (occasionally) and given no real support in attack other than from players like Rein.
It could be a long season but we do have to support the playing roster we already have.:popcorn: 

Recent Rugby League Posts

ALX21 - RD 21 SquadsBulldogs15 D.MaroskeStorm14 J.Turpin15 C.GaloRaiders6 L.LewisBroncos5 E.Alick6 J.Nikorima14 W.BrimsonCowboys6 T.Carucci7 C.Ba...
Fromthenest - Well there you go. Apparently Wide Bay's final is being played Thursday between Norville SS of Bundy and St Pat's Gympie. I am lead to be...
seaeagles - your post is a good while back now,but I think you are on to a good thing there.i am based on the southern tip of the central coast(ex-Sy...
OutbackEyes - CAIRNS FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND 2014 Tassell Trophy Club Challenge Under 14’s Carnival will be held at Vico Oval, Irene St Mooroobool, Cairns...
Leblancboys - Carina have had a number of season ending injuries and a coaching crisis mid year which can hurt the boys. East have been struggling for ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
ALX21 - Cowboys should lock Marshall Hudson in for a few years. One to keep an eye on.

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181