The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

2013/14 Contract Signing: Player Movements, rumours etc...To Date.

saints

saints

Or Spunge Bob ... ;) 
stanleyg

stanleyg

I was talking with Bill from Beverly park and he said while hanging out at the back of the leagues club the scuttlebutt was the Dragons are looking for some more older raiders players but I am not sure if any more are looking to top up their pensions yet.
They might have to sound out some former dragons at the Knights in case Tinkler tinkles out. 
saints

saints

Well - I don't know Bill - but Cary from Carlton thinks we're about to turn the corner. 
MacarthurSaints

MacarthurSaints

Cary from Carlton doesn't happen to be a taxi Driver on loudspeaker is he?

I think he was announcing his destination.

Larry from Long Bay says that Warren the warden is best mates with Helen from Helensburg and a patron at the bar she works at said that we are after a win shortly.

That seems true i think.. 
saints

saints

Yes - I was reading on ZT that Dennis from Dapto said we were only one game away from a win too ... ;) 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

what does Scott from Campbelltown say ;) 
saints

saints

Scott ? - I know a Cassius from Campbelltown - is he related ? 
MacarthurSaints

MacarthurSaints

Scott from Campbelltown thinks that most seasons over the last decade we start out of the blocks slow.
I know we have had a couple where it's been great and these fluffy the memories from very bad starts normally.

I'm (i mean Scott from Campbelltown) says he is a bit concerned at the low hunger appearance of some of our guys.
Some tweaking and some minor adjustment may see the guys get there timing better.
The halves pairing isn't dire with how they make a whole, we have who we have and I can dream catch and say who i'd like (you all know Shaun Johnson from the Warriors is my want).
The Hooker pairing seems to not gel with the team over the 80 minutes. Individually they are coming on ok but for the dynamics of the team something isn't right with both of there styles.

When Rein first started he was quiet zippy and free styled from the play the ball.
This year, I get the impression that this may have been trained out from him. He plays too much like a traditional Hooker rather than the Rein we saw going off instinct.

We saw this with Nightingale after the first couple of years. He was dropped to the lower grades, then it was rectified and he has stayed in the grade with his style. They need to give Rein more rope. The Reins have been tightened too much, excuse the pun.

The backs are being crowded and have no room to move compared to seasons past. There drifting too far across and the one skill Morris has is speed and his instant direction change cannot happen, this is very limiting him. So he is null and void at present. This is why he does more dummy half running, just to get some room. The backs need to run angles from the forwards. There not sniffing for the ball, it's too one out. Angle run in the middle and the tired forwards will let them through.

We lack the massive forward domination we used to have. But this has been the case for a couple of years. Weyman is playing back into game fitness and form. It still needs to get out of his head that he isn't injured anymore.

DeBelin gave the team some enthusiastic motivation. This isn't there. They need someone to pump up the guys beside each other.

They look like there pre-season was too heavy with strong focus on cardio sustainability rather than teamsmanship and game set preparation. The guys are strong and look fit but are not a structured team.

This hopefully will come and there fitness then may show. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

great post :)

who do we miss? Hornby's leadership and stability? (even tho rival fans never rated him) 
cpr_89

cpr_89

The team doesn't look fit and strong to me at all. If you catch a replay of the Canberra game the line didn't even move up a number of times and Canberra were getting cheap metres. There's far too many concentration lapses as well, IMO. They could be fatigued, not concentrating or maybe they don't care. 
MacarthurSaints

MacarthurSaints

Wayne Bennett. Do i need to say why ?

Jeremy Smith and Beau Scott. Mongrel. Heart.

We miss Cooper 5 years younger.

Soward and the rest of the team, they played for something.

They have it now and seem composed and they need to play for something further to what they got in 2010.

Think back to chasing that first girlfriend (or BF for Knitey) You would go out on a limb for that first kiss, for that first %^&*. Once it was achieved the flowers stop and the special things you did seem to disappear.

There doesn't seem to be a dream for something like there used to be. The coach needs to set them with a dream. he needs to get the guys wanting that first kiss again.

Soward, it's very noticeable. His extra efforts for her isn't there. How do you get this back.

Get some hungry guns in there to chase for it. 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

hey how good is our forward planning, recruitment, and future development looking??? :) 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

What did we do during the off-season I see no improvement (regression maybe) since the back end of last season 
MacarthurSaints

MacarthurSaints

We have a small low point. I agree with what Wata said a few days ago, he said Bennett stopped that.

You bring in 10 guys, you loose 20 guys lower down. This is our consequences of what happen a couple of years ago.

I'm liking a few of the juniors but filling the void of a missing gap will take time.

I haven't seen much of Drinkwater so i won't comment to him as our Savior. Try him, it's not going to hurt i say.

Play 1 Hooker, give him a bench shot for a while. Slot Fein into Hooker if Rein or King tires.

Play 1 Hooker and give Quinlan a shot. Barba started playing 20 minutes. \

And what a 20 it was. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

bring back Brownie at least he was great for junior development :) 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

what really gets me annoyed with this is we have had 3, 13+ losses in a row and nothing changes as far as personal unless forced via injury. If you change nothing its foolish to expect a different result. 
MacarthurSaints

MacarthurSaints

You don't change a tyre while when it's a little low do you?

Just pump it up.

He has a idea of what is wanted and possibly he thinks it's coming together.

This team would have been selected a while ago and re-structuring it doesn't need to be so drastic.

Keeping in mind, who do we have that can currently fix what's wrong in our club ?

The coaching staff see 500% more than we see. I'm in the belief that if they say someone isn't ready than we have to believe them.

Recruiting can only be suggestive. I'd prefer to have an opinion of who we have and how we can make what we have better rather than telling posters who we can have outside the club and how they are going to fix things. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

I am just blowing off steam as I love my dragons and would hate to see them turn into a basketcase. I just wish there was competition for spots so that the first grade squad boys would have to put in great performances to retain their positions instead of luclustre performances being ignored/overlooked as there are no other options. 
MacarthurSaints

MacarthurSaints

I'm curious to what's happened to Green.

He was poised to be Coopers replacement.

I'd hate to think that the couple of bad games he had in 1st grade hamper his first grade selection for the future. 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

Its just that our tyre is shredded rubber on the side of the freeway.

We barely resemble a football team at the moment. 
MacarthurSaints

MacarthurSaints

That's just crazy talk. 
saints

saints

Yep - DeBelin must return.

If we go down lets do it as Saints - not cast-offs. 
saints

saints

I agree. You can see a team in there. A few small tweaks/improvements - maybe another player - and a touch of luck - and we'll start winning. But - we do need to do something at half. We need a spark there and somebody that can make a break. At the moment it seems all one-off stuff.

Against Canberra there were signs of attack - and some top defence. We had a few bad breaks early in the second half and lost confidence. We had a legitimate try (and other things) disallowed which might have started something.

We still don't back-up the ball carrier enough. Or move up quick enough. When we actually threw the ball about and used a staggered backline we scored ! Enough said !!! 
stanleyg

stanleyg

They actually look like a football team and even wear the Jerseys to prove it.
They even play like one for about 20 minutes each game.
Hopefully by the halfway mark of the season they will be up to playing like a 70 minute team or even an 80 minute one. 
MacarthurSaints

MacarthurSaints

St George Illawarra Dragons approach Melbourne Rebels' Kurtley Beale

[LIST]
[*]Andrew Webster
[*]http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ The Daily Telegraph
[*]March 27, 2013 12:00AM
[/LIST]

http://content4.video.news.com.au/NDM_CP_-_Fox_Sports/204/516/FSD_270313_NRL_SRU_SAINTS_BEALE_MASSOUD_VSV__557934.jpg

Dragons reportedly approach Kurtley Beale about NRL switch

Dragons reportedly approach Kurtley Beale about NRL switch.

DESPERATE St George Illawarra have emerged as possible suitors for troubled Wallabies star Kurtley Beale should the Australian Rugby Union tear up his contract.

Beale's future in the 15-man code could be determined as early as next week after he punched Rebels teammate Cooper Vuna and captain Gareth Delve in a drunken altercation in Durban last Sunday morning.
While NSW Waratahs coach Michael Cheika hinted a return to Sydney could be on the cards, News Limitedunderstands the Dragons have already shown early interest.
Those close to Beale have predicted for the past year the talented but wayward 24-year-old would return to rugby league, which he had played as a junior.
There was speculation yesterday cashed-up Penrith, which has $1 million to spend after missing out on signing Cowboys playmaker Johnathan Thurston, could also enter the race - not least because Beale hails from Mount Druitt in Sydney's west.

But Panthers insiders last night denied they had even had a discussion about Beale.

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2013/03/26/1226607/160815-beale.jpg

Could the Rebels' Kurtley Beale be on his way to the NRL? Picture: Andrew Tauber

Dragons coach Steve Price and chief executive Peter Doust did not return calls or texts, and while it is very early days it is believed an official from the club has made the first tentative approach.
St George Illawarra is desperate for a playmaker in the face of a winless start to the season.
They are resigned to the fact it has missed out on sacked Canberra problem child Josh Dugan.
"It's always lingering in the back of my mind,'' Beale said of playing rugby league in an interview in January.
"I'm a massive fan of rugby league and I played it all my junior career and I'm always switching channels to watch it on the weekend. Hopefully later on, in the years to come, I will be able to put my hand up and have a crack at it.''

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/st-george-illawarra-dragons-approach-melbourne-rebels-kurtley-beale/story-e6frexpr-1226607165160 

Recent Rugby League Posts

Awks - And 2 years of the 8 my 2 nephews have been members.. Congratulations to the u12s in the finals win over nsw 26-6
sportsnews30 - It’s Australia vs New Zealand in the Bledisloe Cup on Saturday.The match is slated to start at 8 p.m. AEST (10 p.m. NZST, 10 a.m. GMT) at...
ALX21 - Congrats to Sam Lavea for his debut 2 weeks ago. Jack Morris named for his debut for the Eels.
sportsnews30 - Taranaki vs Counties Manukau live stream Rugby 2014 online streaming & TV Channels. We must be ensure you the best online Rugby Live stre...
Fromthenest - Frenchville SS 46 def St Pats Gympie 4. They will play Weir SS sometime in the next fortnight.
seaeagles - your post is a good while back now,but I think you are on to a good thing there.i am based on the southern tip of the central coast(ex-Sy...
OutbackEyes - CAIRNS FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND 2014 Tassell Trophy Club Challenge Under 14’s Carnival will be held at Vico Oval, Irene St Mooroobool, Cairns...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181