The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

selection headaches for round 1

Rsag85

Rsag85

Nope 
iainlevy

iainlevy

i can't see Lima being picked even on the bench with no game time behind him. He will surely have to play at least a game with Norths to get some match fitness. 
footydiva

footydiva

You would think so. But unfortunately it happens a lot! 
rabbitohs95

rabbitohs95

Could see both George and Tom on the bench for Round 1, guess we'll just have to see... 
michael.tull

michael.tull

There are some decisions to be made:

1 Merrit should get over Goodwin. Goodwin played well in the 2 trials I saw. But he's doesn't have the same finishing strikerate as merrit. Maerit would have bagged a double or a hat trick v the dragons.

2 Dylan Walker over Dylan Farell. Farrell is a fine player but we ned a centre who will take every 1/2 chance that comes along. Walker will do that - a little extra speed and bulk. He's a superstar in the maing.

3 Dave Tyrell is going great. But Jeff Lima will get that spot as soon as he's ready to play.

4 A back up hooker is a problem. don't rate Peats work as a hooker. He's a decent backrower but not a hooker. In Charity Shield in butchered a set on Dragons line because he was trying to set himself up for the try. But Issac cannot play 80 minutes - no hooker could play that style for 80. So we need a back up. I guess that's Peats. But I'd be thrilled to see Jason Clarke get a crack at hooker.

5 Champion must start. He looked great. Punishing defence. Will form a formidable combination with Teo. And he can pinch a try too.

6 McQueen - runs great lines, can play centre or wing & is excellent in attack. But he's not solid enough at A defender to start - watch the Charity Shield again & see what happens when he's a A - not enough 1st contact. Teams know this and will target him for a quick play the ball. He's great value on the bench.

7 Ben Lowe needs to do work on his defence. Compare Lowe to Clarke or Crocker in the middle and the difference is evident - the other two are dominant tacklers and Lowe isn't.

The likely rnd 1 team is:
1 GI
2 Everingham
3 Walker
4 Champion
5 Merrit
6 Sutton
7 Reynolds
8 G Burgess
9 Luke
10 Asotasi
11 teo
12 Burgess
13 Crocker

14 Clarke
15 Tyrell or Lima
16 McQueen
17 Peats 
dkm13

dkm13

I don't think anyone has mentioned Kyle Turner I thought he was very impressive especially in defense. 
motiveight

motiveight

Some people go off early.

Pick Turner and Walker and Keary and Korisau.

Madge will bide his time. 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Keary looked very sharp in the CS. He will be pushing very hard for a halves spot. 
ratz_man

ratz_man

There is no man more committed than Sutts, but his size is enormous, changes will be made sooner than later, just who gets the centre, 5/8 or reserves is any ones guess 
runrabbit

runrabbit

Walker has great potential but would not survive NRL week in week out at this stage .......he would be snapped in two within weeks...........a 19 year old just cant do the required weights programmes required....a fit dylan Farrell will get the Nod and I suspect Champion. Merritt will get the nod just because he is one of the games great finishers.......Everingham and Goodwin will battle it out....yes Clarke may get the nod at rotation hooker........my big prediction for 2013.....a fit Lima is going to be an absolute standout for us....I watched him play for Melbourne for years and used to think if only we had him I think at thirty two he is still in his prime and apparently his natural fitness level has been outstanding in pre season....watch this space. As a defensive pair I think Teo and Champion will be rock solid......I think Lowe is going to have a breakout year and that the likes of Lowe, Clarke Tyrell and Peats should be put on a rotation policy there is nothing between them ( a rotation policy over the season ie two weeks on one week off type of thing all season)....love to see Tom and George be in the 17 all year......and to all those long suffering Sutton rejectors....I dont think uncle Madge is going to move him from 5/8 any time soon , sure he is not your trad 5/8 but he creates enormous defensive headaches for teams just for his shear size, which means they must put at least two troops on him at all times, which opens up holes for for others like Inglis etc......this I believe . 
footydiva

footydiva

I think people should stop discriminating age in this game. 18 & 19 year olds can handle weights and training programs if their bodies are right.

How old was Hayne, G.I., Folaou, W.Hopoati? All teens!

Walkers body and weight to handle NRL isn't the concern, he's stockier and bigger than half the backs in first grade. Plus he maintains muscle tone during the season and doesn't loose weight which is the good sign as he is a lower risk of injury. 95kgs at 16 for a Jnr back is massive. His match weight is at 91-92kgs. The likes of Keary, Reyno, Hunt, Everingham all had to wait to bulk up before they hit grade. Benji Marshall was a light-weight as a young gun hence his string of injuries coz his body wasn't ready.

Dylans body is ready but his game maturity with timing and decision making needs development. 
runrabbit

runrabbit

At least you recognise some of the issues here in terms of body development !!!!............generally speaking though an 18 year old will be monstered by a 21 year old........played as rep player as an 18 year old against a 21 year old side in NZ (no contest)...In walkers case I think he will rightly get a taste of NRL this season, but I cant see him being used consistently throughout for the reasons I have stated and the more experienced players in front of him. 
Rsag85

Rsag85

Can Walker play on the wing? He does have the speed. 
dkm13

dkm13

I think you've only got to look at the softly softly approach the club has taken with George Burgess progression through the grades to see how they'll bring in these young guys.This will be George's third year with us and with the depth we have up front it might take him another year before he cements a spot in the 17 
footydiva

footydiva

I agree with you when generally speaking about 18-19 y.o but theres always exception to that rule.

If Walker keeps working hard and consistently performs he may get a taste of NRL if the opportunity arose. But for now the safe bet would be to keep him in U20s with some Norths games to help him work and improve on defence. Lets face it, U20s is the worst defensively and the forwards have a high drop off rate.

I think the same approach applied to G.Burgess development will apply to Walker. 
footydiva

footydiva

Didn't u notice Hunt push Walker to the wing in the last set of six? He pushed up between Turner and Sutt to get the crack at the last play. If it was Walker on Sutts left shoulder I guarantee you Walker wouldn't of spoiled it! 
Rsag85

Rsag85

Maybe Walker should get the wing spot over Everingham and or Goodwin, how is he under the highball? Footy diva. 
footydiva

footydiva

To be honest, I've never seen Walker tested under a high ball in a game. He's always been the one making those kicks.

At training he kills the drills, but when working in the backs he gets pulled to the kicking coach sessions.

He'd go good on the wing I'd imagine. But I can't see him replacing Everingham anytime soon. If there were contenders for wing successors at Souths, I would suggest Phillips & Gray would get a look in on the wing for their NRL starts. Both boys are fantastic under the high ball. 
Rsag85

Rsag85

Maybe start him off the bench in replace of Peats for this year, there is another suggestion. 
southsport

southsport

Basically Madge needs to start with the team that got Souths to finals last year (Teo in for Taylor and another prop to replace Geddes), if Reynolds had broken his thumb then Goodwin would have needed to start for the goalkicking duties.........it's up to the others to force their way into the team and take their chance when opportunity arises. 
footydiva

footydiva

Why don't we wait and see what rookies emerge during origin season! I'm just so fricken glad footy is back.:D 
southsport

southsport

Me too, I'm really looking forward too it.........Oh, and in my previous post I forgot to mention that Beau Champion has to be in there as well. 
Rsag85

Rsag85

We are so lucky to have such great talent on the roster this year and great depth in every position. (IMO it's the best depth in a very long time), can't wait for round one. 
SonicStar

SonicStar

I have full confidence in him to get the job done, if Adam had of broken his thumb and was out. 
botanyrabbit

botanyrabbit

Hey all, attention to everyone who has Foxtel. Nrl summer time features Souths on friday at 1:30pm not sure if its channel 1, 2 or 3 but it is on and i will watch with interest. 

Recent Rugby League Posts

Fromthenest - Well there you go. Apparently Wide Bay's final is being played Thursday between Norville SS of Bundy and St Pat's Gympie. I am lead to be...
seaeagles - your post is a good while back now,but I think you are on to a good thing there.i am based on the southern tip of the central coast(ex-Sy...
ALX21 - RD 20 ResultsBroncos: J.Nikorima goal
OutbackEyes - CAIRNS FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND 2014 Tassell Trophy Club Challenge Under 14’s Carnival will be held at Vico Oval, Irene St Mooroobool, Cairns...
Leblancboys - Carina have had a number of season ending injuries and a coaching crisis mid year which can hurt the boys. East have been struggling for ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
ALX21 - Cowboys should lock Marshall Hudson in for a few years. One to keep an eye on.

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181