The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Trial no. 2 V Newcastle in Coffs Harbour

Bunnies

Bunnies

So here is the line up, some pretty decent selections. A few minor surprises but very strong overall.
http://embed.bigpondvideo.com/NRL_Rabbitohs/520853
Wish I could be there!
Thoughts on the selections? 
View all 175 comments
Doyen

Doyen

The incumbents will ,& probably should hold their posses for Rd.1.
This approach will work against the "also ran" teams.
STHS need to find a way to beat the top echelon which they had trouble against last season.
We rely very heavily on GI to create.For him it will be more difficult than last season as the opposition will have devised plans to cripple his capabilities.
We need genuine spark to emanate from another source;our halves!This is where I believe we are found wanting when the whips are cracking--the spark plug needs changing!!! 
barroq

barroq

We suffer from head down and charge into opposition players syndrome ,that's all very well but we also must have a combination of spontaneous brilliance from players that can produce that as part of our game plan or run the risk of becoming predictable as we were in coffs for the first 60 minutes of that game. 
Doyen

Doyen

That structured,disciplined approach goes so far.
When we needed spark in the bigger contests throughout last season we didn't seem to have it.
We are a pretty predictable side because of the coaching approach--Madge put some pride back into our side with a more consistent approach but I fear this is not enough!!
I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment! 
Rsag85

Rsag85

Koroisau made a big impact in our last two trials, this is what we need from a second dummy half who comes off the bench, we just don't get that with Peats. 
barroq

barroq

Agree 100 percent there lies the answer why we a not capable of beating the heavyweights they know exactly how we are structured and play the game ,we need to adopt a combination of the two structure and brilliance to have a chance of beating these sides 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

Structured approach can work look at us in 2010 for example. 
barroq

barroq

Structure and brilliance works even better look at the Melbourne storm 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

But if you don't have superstars can still be a dominant team I mean ;) 
barroq

barroq

We have plenty of those at souths super stars that is;);) 
southsport

southsport

Souths were getting done by the rorters until the last, when they went un-structured, scored two tries and won the game. 
Doyen

Doyen

It can work but it's more likely if you have that extra spark to call on! 
TheChello

TheChello

Souths needed discipline and Maguire has provided that both on and off the field. The structured play saw us become a more consistent side. I still believe we're a work in progress side. We do have the players to provide that extra spark when needed, let's give the coach and the team some more time to develop as a whole.
We did struggle against the better sides, in attack, last year where they simply had the answers. We're one year better.
The young players trialled show we have some depth in key positions. Peats is a very good player - yes I believe Luke is a better attacking player from the dummy half area. I'm more interested in what role Keary will play as he seems to be getting better each year and when will he be unleashed on the NRL is the question, not if. Sutton doesn't deserve to be moved but he may thrive working wider of the ruck. Talk of moving Inglis to the centres seems ludicrous. I think there are a couple of good options there with Goodwin looking pretty good.
Reynolds will be a more targetted player this 2nd year and it will be a test of his development to see how he handles this extra pressure. Personally, I think it will be harder at times but confident that he will do well provided he has the support of the players around him.
Naming Crocker as sole captain was an interesting move. Crocker is getting near the end of his career but he has quickly endeared himself to Souths fans with his passion for the club and 100% effort, attitude. Who's next in line to captain the side, Sutton, Sam, even Reynolds further down the track? 
Rsag85

Rsag85

I'm not to sure about Goodwin being the answer for one of our centre's positions. 
rabbitohs95

rabbitohs95

Personally i reckon it'll come down to McQueen, Champion and Farrell... 
Zinga

Zinga

Some really good posts there. I think Sutton should be kept at 6 for the start of the season unless Keary comes out and blows the Dragons away this week, even then it would be a massive call to bench Sutton!

Peats has to be the back up hooker- back rower on the bench you would think! This other young hooker looks the goods but I think Madge will play it safe to kick off the season! 
Zinga

Zinga

What will be our starting pack in round 1?

How did Ben Lowe go on the weekend? 
Rsag85

Rsag85

8. Asotasi
9. Luke
10. Lima
11. S.Burgess
12. Te'o
13. Crocker (c) 
runrabbit

runrabbit

Asotasi and Lima will interchange ..... I heard Asotasi speaking to Lima about this at training. 
MrChook

MrChook

Needs more Burgess. 
Rsag85

Rsag85

Who will start? Tom and George? 
ratz_man

ratz_man

The team will work it's self out with form players being picked from the Bears during the season. 
motiveight

motiveight

Good news is that the best centre potentially at Souths has not been mentioned above.

Souths will not be able to keep Peats and Api.

Hughes and Maguire will decide. 
barroq

barroq

Had a strong game in defence not much to offer in attack. 
barroq

barroq

Possible candidates position centre. My thoughts....
beau champion. ..Defensively strong average in attack
shaune corrigan... Been there done that
dylan farrell. ....1st choice but injury cloud
bryson Goodwin ....Strong possibility
mat king.... Strong possibility injury cloud
greg Waddell ....Good young player but not ready for Nrl
mitchell buckett.... Could be a surprise packet strong centre
chris centrone.... Don't know much about him has speed to burn
dylan walker ...Very impressive at coffs a possibility 
Rsag85

Rsag85

who? 
Doyen

Doyen

Sths have Luke,Peats,Koroisau & McInnes lined up for the hooking job![ie.for now & the future].People are already saying McInnes could be the best of the lot.
It's great to have such riches but an unhappy ending is inevitable for a couple there.
When crunch time comes I hope STHS choose their true jnrs! 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

TheSportDoctor - I like the concept of the draft. It would even the competition out and allow hope for those teams who are really bad each year. I know th...
ALX21 - Law-Cobbo, Turnbull, Dixon, Nagas and Conway were the best for the Probables, while Renouf, Burns, Cox, Simpson, Trindall, Fifita and McC...
sschedule - Live Australia Wallabies vs South Africa Springboks online HD streaming tv info, video, score, preview, highlights, result. Rugby 2014 wa...
sschedule - Live Australia Wallabies vs South Africa Springboks online HD streaming tv info, video, score, preview, highlights, result. Rugby 2014 wa...
livesportsinfo - Live Australia Wallabies vs South Africa Springboks online HD streaming tv info, video, score, preview, highlights, result. Rugby 2014 wa...
livesportsinfo - Live Australia Wallabies vs South Africa Springboks online HD streaming tv info, video, score, preview, highlights, result. Rugby 2014 wa...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181