The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

The pride of the league

woodies

woodies

Particularly with Bennett at the helm.........oops sorry guys I read the title of this thread and naturally assumed it was about the Knights.:D

But seriously, as a league fan it is fantastic to have a strong Rabbitohs showing. The 50 plus thous. at the Bulldogs game was great. 
Doyen

Doyen

JS would have some chance making the team for this century[from 2000 on] but no chance at all in the very best of all time.Jimmy LISLE & Dennis PITTARD were standouts to me & Phil BLAKE was brilliant.
Lisle came from being a Union international & made the State & Aust.sides after playing just one game of League.
JS has been trying to achieve that for 7 yrs.The selectors have always had concerns about picking him for big games!!
Pittard won two Rothman's Medals--the DallyM equivalent.
There were other 5/8s that played for Aust.too---Greg HAWICK & John DOHERTY!! 
MrChook

MrChook

He was my old PE teacher at Wyong HS. 
MadMike

MadMike

Lol i know,

Phil Blake is one of my favorite players, 
Doyen

Doyen

We couldn't believe our luck when Lisle & Cleary came over from Union.
Lisle was such a natural athlete that he just hit the ground running in RL & straight into the Aussie team!
Michael CLEARY was gifted too although he didn't like to tackle---hence his nickname of Michelle.
But he was a dual Int/al & won a Comm.Games Medal in the 100ms!!
He was also a gun boxer--so a very fine athlete.
I swear he beat the whole Manly side twice each at Redfern one day in a 100m+ try--he was lightning & big & strong.
My favourite STHS winger was Terry FAHEY--the "REDFERN EXPRESS!" 
ratz_man

ratz_man

Jimmy LISLE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Lisle 
ratz_man

ratz_man

If you would pick an all-time best South Sydney side alot of great players would miss out, you guys were talking about a 5/8, yeah Blake and Pittard were great players, but i would put in Rocky Laurie and i remember all 3, and there is so many more, but gee i got a shocking memory, but to pick the best 17 in a best of team, i would find a place for the likes of Ian Roberts a great work-horse, that guy never stopped, and when i thnk of hookers i think of Piggins bulldozing run through the mighty Western Suburbs pack to score, but i think GI would be picked from this team to be in the 'best of the best' 
annav3

annav3

I hate the term "pride of the league" 
rabbitoh_fan

rabbitoh_fan

I never use it, but it was started by the media, not us. 
ratz_man

ratz_man

Just thought i'd throw this in...if you like it wet.

since56

since56

Well I think there might be a couple from the current squad who would be in the running for a spot in the all time best Souths side - Merritt, S Burgess, GI and given a couple more years, maybe Reynolds. This is a great side we have here, the stats back that up.
Harking back to the good old days, I always liked Elwyn Walters - one of the all time great hookers and of course R Coote who Sam Burgess reminds me of. 
Doyen

Doyen

Rocky was one of my very favourite players.I'd forgotten about him.
He had an uncanny ability to bust a defence wide open;making many line-breaks.He wasn't all that big but he was tough,strong & deceptively quick.
He played his best footy with Sths,winning the inaugural DallyM,I think!!
Michael Pattison who came over from Parra to us & looked liked playing rep[was picked for SOO but withdrew with injury]--- he broke both of his collar-bones in one freak tackle which ended his career.He was injury prone & because of this didn't rise to his true potential.
Merritt could eventually grab a spot in a "best of" team.Reynolds too.Sths had some very good half backs in my time but not great ones.Bobby Grant got the nod in the best side from memory but Reynolds could go past him for sure! 
Doyen

Doyen

Pretty poor crowds back in the old days---about 10 people!!
What a horror day!!
Notice the tackling--all pretty conventional stuff---no hint of anything like a SC---I only watched about 20 mins;too wet!
Will continue later. 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

OutbackEyes - CAIRNS FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND 2014 Tassell Trophy Club Challenge Under 14’s Carnival will be held at Vico Oval, Irene St Mooroobool, Cairns...
ALX21 - RD 20 SquadsBulldogs15 D.MaroskeRaiders6 L.LewisBroncos5 E.Alick6 J.NikorimaCowboys6 T.Carucci7 C.Bambling11 C.Hess
Leblancboys - Carina have had a number of season ending injuries and a coaching crisis mid year which can hurt the boys. East have been struggling for ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
ALX21 - Cowboys should lock Marshall Hudson in for a few years. One to keep an eye on.
qldr80 - Also in regards to the girl on the DD team, I have seen her play at club level and I can tell you she definitely holds her own. Was a sha...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168