The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

The Streets are A-Wash with Red and Green!

since56

since56

Went for a drive on Saturday and on the way back, we came through Clovelly and Coogee. Down Clovelly Surf Club we saw 2 large Rabbitohs flags standing tall and proud and I thought - never seen that at Clovelly before, not that I go there much these days. Then coming down the hill into Coogee and there right in the middle of Arden Street, multiple Rabbitoh flags! What a sight, glory glory!!!

It got me thinking, there's something in the air, as the song goes. Hmmmm, we are getting closer and closer….Could this be the year? I'm feeling it - are you??? 
View all 64 comments
Morkel

Morkel

As I kept pointing out, it's not a bloody towel, it's a god damn facewasher. 
ratz_man

ratz_man

How on earth can you say that about us, we are Australians just like the Australians up their in Queensland...no different, just that we happen to barrack for a different team. Sure we get excited at the very thought of winning a title, i was 14 in 1971, just left school and had my first girlfriend, i'm 56 now and yeah i get very excited about Souths winning it, and you know what...just having a team that can compete with any team in the comp excites me, now your broncos have had a easy passage into the nrl with all their stars and goodluck to you, but don't begrudge us from enjoying our day in the sun 
Morkel

Morkel

I'm not saying you shouldn't enjoy your team. At all. And Souths is a team that has a proud history that should be celebrated. Every team has a history that should be celebrated (almost every team anyway). And arguing on a forum like this only makes fans more passionate, which is good for the game. But seriously, if you could see what outsiders see, it's a massive joke. 
Dogga

Dogga

Ahh but you see I do , you shouldn't even be in the comp. No problem with them completely disregarding the criteria that you failed on all counts and letting you back in as long as they were willing to do it for all clubs. Norths was my team and we got screwed .

So yeah I haven't got much time for Souths as a club, but most of the Souths fans that I have met before/during/after Broncs games have been pretty friendly and up for a chat about both our teams chances and league in general and just want their club to do well like we all do. 
southsport

southsport

Morkel, the original post was made in the Souths Grandstand for Souths supporters and not intended to enrage anyone else.........if outsiders think that we are a massive joke, well, like you said, ​NOBODY CARES!!!...........the outsiders may just be the real joke. 
southsport

southsport

:lol: Gee, lucky for us that your opinion means jack shit. 
Morkel

Morkel

The Souths Grandstand isn't just for Souths supporters. It is just to differentiate the Souths-related discussions from those specific to another team. The only people enraged here are the ones who take offence to someone suggesting that Souths is not the centre of the universe, at least for most people.

But I guess I should apologise, that was the best pic I could find at short notice. I should have found something that says 'nobody finds this as meaningful or prophetic as you'. But more obscure to find is all. 
Watnow

Watnow

Morkel - RALLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYY TOOOWWWEEEELLLLLLLL 
Dogga

Dogga

Hahahaha 
Morkel

Morkel

Oh dear, that was one of the lamest ideas I've ever seen. Who knows if it actually revs the Broncos up or not. We certainly copped a heap of stick from the Manly supporters, was a good spectacle in that regard. Apparently we're suppose to hold on to the bloody thing and bring it along to every game. We'll see. 
southsport

southsport

Every club has supporters that think their football team is the "centre of the universe", so it shouldn't surprise anyone to find Souths supporters like that in the Souths Grandstand..........you don't have to read it, it's your choice. 
Watnow

Watnow

A lot threw them on to the ground in disgust when it became evident that Manly were going to win 
Watnow

Watnow

As for the big street signs wouldn't it be great if other councils put up the team signs in their alloted Junior territory. 
Morkel

Morkel

There's a newer one than that now too. 
SonicStar

SonicStar

Morkel still crying geez talk about being precious ;) 
Bunnies

Bunnies

Remain a one eyed fan for all I care Mork, If you truly share the passion for your own team but can't allow any others to express theirs, you have to worry about your enthusiasm for competition.
We raise our flags because we get behind our team through all patterns of form.
Its possible you aren't such a fair weather fan as the rest of them.
I think the significant DECREASE in memberships from last year till this one would show that.
Might be about time YOU start raising your flags if you wanna be seen in September! 
Dogga

Dogga

Bit early to be talking trash about September, especially considering Souths modern form in that department.
[TABLE="class: wikitable"]
[TR]
[TD]Year[/TD]
[TD]Place[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2003[/TD]
[TD]15th[/TD]
[TD]Wooden Spoon[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2004[/TD]
[TD]15th[/TD]
[TD]Wooden Spoon[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2005[/TD]
[TD]13th[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2006[/TD]
[TD]15th[/TD]
[TD]Wooden Spoon[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2007[/TD]
[TD]7th[/TD]
[TD]Qualifying Finalists[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2008[/TD]
[TD]14th[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2009[/TD]
[TD]10th[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2010[/TD]
[TD]9th[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2011[/TD]
[TD]10th[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2012[/TD]
[TD]3rd[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Broncs on a big membership drive, remains to be seen how it works out as they are offering some different 3 and 4 games packages this year (and last). The crowds have been growing and that hopefully will continue. 
since56

since56

Dear Dorkel,

I don't see anything in that about Souths being the centre of the universe or that nothing else matters or anything religious or even anything remotely fanatical. I simply shared on the Souths Grandstand what was quite a sight for me as a Souths supporter, and it was. I then related that to the feeling I have that this could be the year for us - what's the big deal with that?

You on the other hand made a conscious decision to post a derogatory remark which was intended to cause harm on some level - thats the bottom line. On internet forums it's commonly known as flaming. It's also just another form of cowardice. We all know whats going on here. Chin up and hang in there.

Your welcome. 
Morkel

Morkel

Dear since56,

Apologies if my statement has hurt your feelings. I will make sure from now on my comments regarding my periodic disdain for elements of your fanbase are much more subtle ala your troll leader. This will allow the more mentally-isolated of your fanbase to keep believing everything is rosy in Southville, while also allowing me to claim innocence should someone call me on my trolling.

As for cowardice, in my opinion it would be posting a remark and running away. I'm still here to answer your questions, which I am happy to do, and I appreciate the reply, it allows me to get my Forum points up.

Now as for the comment. In isolation, your post would not seem to be that far removed than what many others may post about their team. In context though, it looked to me more like false bravado, the sort of confidence that you get when you surround yourself with people with the same opinions purely so that you can feel your opinion is justified and correct. The fact that I have been chastised for coming in to a rival team's forum just further confirms my suspicions - it's like your own beliefs in your team's chances are so fragile that one solitary rival opinion is enough to cause a frenzy of fear and hatred. As if someone has told you that the Earth is in fact round, and the fundamentals of which you have based your very existence are being challenged. If what I've said is true, then I can certainly understand why a comment of 'nobody cares' would be such an issue. Surrounding yourselves with same-thinking, close-minded people would mean that the thought of someone not sharing those same views would actually be frightening. Especially if it appeared like your views were actually in the minority.

So once again I apologise. Perhaps a world where Souths are not universally embraced and their success ensured is a world that some of your fans are not strong enough to accept yet. But do not despair, I'm sure there will be plenty more Souths flags, countless logo-embroidered jackets, and plenty more Cardinal & Myrtle beanies in your travels and the travels of your peers, to reassure you all that the world is indeed flat.

Yours sincerely,
Dorkel. 
since56

since56

Well said Storkel, you have just summarised team sports supporter groups and the tribal nature of them all, including Broncos supporters I would think. Although, I would say that you have over-stated certain aspects such as a flat earth mindset and a frenzy of fear and hatred. You also made assumptions based on your own subjective viewpoint which is just a part of it all anyway.

I didn't say you hurt my feelings, I just made what I consider to be a factual observation. You are perfectly entitled to your opinions and you don't need me to tell you that. But I will challenge a misrepresentation of my original post and by extension, the false inference about some sort of universal totality of belief for Souths fans.

I am a passionate Souths supporter but not to the exclusion of everything else. The Sharks are my next favourite team and I have a whole life outside of footy. And I apologise for suggesting you are a coward, that was malice on my part. Good luck to you and your team. 
Dogga

Dogga

:thumbs::thumbs: 
Morkel

Morkel

It has been a pleasure. You too. 
Criswell

Criswell

Has any Australian sporting team ever had a better passive advertising campaign than the white rabbit car stickers? you still see them all over the joint.

Marketing genius. 
MrFourex

MrFourex

Yes.......Brisbane. 2,378 new memberships in the first month after this came out.

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv332/mojosphotos/fd6c28ee-412c-46d0-b779-fa9e680a5f56_zps51406510.jpg 
Lewis06

Lewis06

Wow. 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

DavidHatch - Was on last Sunday. Weir SS defeated Cairns West SS in Final. Not sure where Weir go next.
OutbackEyes - CAIRNS FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND 2014 Tassell Trophy Club Challenge Under 14’s Carnival will be held at Vico Oval, Irene St Mooroobool, Cairns...
ALX21 - RD 20 SquadsBulldogs15 D.MaroskeRaiders6 L.LewisBroncos5 E.Alick6 J.NikorimaCowboys6 T.Carucci7 C.Bambling11 C.Hess
Leblancboys - Carina have had a number of season ending injuries and a coaching crisis mid year which can hurt the boys. East have been struggling for ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
ALX21 - Cowboys should lock Marshall Hudson in for a few years. One to keep an eye on.

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168