The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Round 3 vs Panthers 2013

rabbitohs95

rabbitohs95

What do you think the lineup will be? How do you think we'll go with Burgess back plus no Coote for Penrith.

I think we're a strong chance to win, and by a good margin too. Haven't seen much of Penrith this year, they look to have improved but i think we'll be too strong in the forwards and then our backs will fly past theirs.

Hope we see a switch between Goodwin and Everingham, Goodwin is purely a winger and Evero has played in the centres previously. Besides that i think our team is set.

Glory Glory 
View all 180 comments
southsport

southsport

Yes knitey, defensive problems have continued into 2013, the heat could have been an issue (some sides handle it better than others) but we should find out against the dogs on Friday night..........I prefer to go into games as the underdog anyway. 
TheChello

TheChello

What a strange game. Souths again showed some good prowess in the early stages of the game.
The first half was just all points.
TBH - I think the heat took it's toll more on the Souths players than the Penrith players. Inglis looked pretty distressed most of the time after runs, not like him not to show some emotion, looked very serious. Don't think it was Luke's best games but he still probes around that dummy half area and makes good ground. There were some defensive lapses by Souths but I think Penrith deserve a bit more credit in that regard. Segeyaro was a handful and surely he will be utilised more by the Panthers in coming weeks.
Goodwin went a little better at centre but he was caught out with the Naiqama try, pretty glaring error. Still don't think he's a centre but hopefully he will improve each game if Madge keeps him there.
Strange to drop Roy alone from the side.Peats had a strong game I thought, punishing defender and did better with the ball. We did enough to win in the end and showed some character to get their act together when the Panthers got within 2 points. Still, you would like to see your side not give away 32 points but, again, give Penrith some credit for their efforts.
I still can't believe they are playing games in the heat and that they didn't revert to the 20min quarters. The heat index etc is crap, you just have to use common sense to know that your're playing in the western part of Sydney and it gets hot out there. Gee, if the Sharks had 20min quarters, playing near the seaside with at least a breeze then why didn't they do it at Penrith?
It was obvious that players were under distress with the heat. Hopefully they will recover in time for next week's game.
The dogs will be a real test of where we are at this year and looking forward to the clash. Anyone know how King went with the bears? 
knitey

knitey

I wasn't having a go, just pointing out what I thought was a flaw, I'm sure Madge will be working on it, I think that the Panthers have been highly underated, they gave a good showing yesterday, I really enjoyed that game, lot's of tries, some good hits, great all round footy, I hope I get to see more games like it. 
Doyen

Doyen

I've never been a huge fan of Goodwin but I don't think he went all that badly.
He is not really a centre so he is learning on the job.
Madge has been working on changing Issac's game---more quality darting than quantity---that's worrying him a bit,I reckon---he also looks bigger to me;the profile puts him up 5kgs on last year--not so sure that's a good thing,he's now slower,IMO!!
Madge knows what he wants from Issac & it's not the helter skelter approach used in previous seasons.But they need to strike a happy balance in his game.
The Dogs will be a real test when they have Kasiano,Pritchard & Graham on deck---& Barba at his best!
We have a lot of work to do!!!! 
southsport

southsport

No offense taken, I didn't think you were having a go.........just calling it like you see it.

Panthers did show a lot of heart and some ability, didn't they? At 34-32 it looked as though they might go on with it. 
knitey

knitey

I do agree with Chello, very unfair on the players to expect them to play full 40min halves in yesterdays heat, surely there has to be some ruling on this, heat stress and highly elevated core body temperature can cause a lot of damage. 
Rsag85

Rsag85

His defence was terrible IMO 
southsport

southsport

I was watching him closely and other than what I have mentioned previously, I have no problem. 
michael.tull

michael.tull

'Start them later and keep them longer' should be the motto. Look at the Tigers - B Marshall was a freak but started too young. his body wasn't ready. fair enough they won 1 premiership with him but with better prep and being eased in top grade they could have won 3. 
michael.tull

michael.tull

I though Issac Luke had one of his best ever games for us. more control in his running - being a bit more selective. And his passing work is hugely improved with some nice and very clever work around the ruck - passing acorss the ruck and generally choosing the best option. And he's a weapon when he's at 2nd reciever. Madge has made him a much better player. 
Doyen

Doyen

I think you're probably right.I think because his game has evolved somewhat we are possibly seeing him as being below par.
The fact is that he is less spectacular but more effective!! 
southsport

southsport

Sutton had a blinder I thought........one of his best ever. 
Bunnies

Bunnies

I think Goodwin was fine, couple lapses in def. IMO Roy has been better than Lowe and Crocker! 
Rsag85

Rsag85

The main problem with Goodwin is that he rush out of the line to fast which leaves gaps in the defence line and makes it harder for other players eg Merritt to cover Goodwin, he has to remember that he is not playing on the wing anymore. 
hurricanh57

hurricanh57

The new interrpretation of quick play the balls allows for teams with good ball control to advance the play from their own twenty into quite attacking areas.

I think this was hi lighted yesterday especially by a very slick Souths side and, to a lesser extent, Penrith.

Seems to make for a high scoring game. 
southsport

southsport

The time I saw him rush up out of the line was when penrith had an overlap, it was 3 panthers on 2 rabbitohs, so Goodwin did the right thing trying to cut off the play, but he got there too late.........it was try time for the panthers anyway..........with injuries Champion, Farrell and King, Souths are lucky they signed Goodwin. I think Waddell might get his chance this week. 
Rsag85

Rsag85

if Goodwin is to remain in the side it should be on the wing, it's going to be interesting to see who replace Farrell now. 
bobbymoses

bobbymoses

Agree that Luke's game has evolved and he is a better team player for it. Thought he has played very well this year,,,,,,,much cleverer play. 
bandwagon

bandwagon

Watching Inglis after he took the kick dead from the Penrith kickoff, He very deliberately slowed the side down and urged them to walk back to the fifty for the restart. Smart play I thought, but perhaps he was feeling it. 
ratz_man

ratz_man

[h=1]South Sydney Rabbitohs winger Matt King facing four months out [/h]
THE career of South Sydney's former Test and NSW winger Matt King is again hanging in the balance after he broke his arm for a second time during his comeback game. It's a cruel blow for King who admitted last month he'd been close to quitting the game.
King initially broke his arm when tackling Melbourne winger Sisa Waqa during last year's finals series and he then contracted Osteomyelitis - an infection of the bone - and was told he could be out for up to 18 months.
However, a course of strong antibiotics put the 32-year-old back in training sooner than expected and he made his return to action for the Rabbitohs' feeder club North Sydney Bears against Newtown in the NSW Cup on Saturday.
But he failed to see out the game after breaking the arm again and he now faces another four months on the sidelines recuperating.
King revealed in February that he'd been ready to pull the pin on his long first-grade career, which began with Melbourne in 2003 before he switched to English Super League side Warrington.

Souths coach Michael Maguire said he hoped to have King back in his side before the end of the season and he still had a role to play at the club.
"It's a tough situation for Kingy as he has worked extremely hard to put himself into a position to make his return last weekend,'' Maguire said.
"Kingy is the ultimate professional and we know that he will do everything he can, in conjunction with our medical team, to return from this injury before the end of the season.
"He's still a massive part of what we're doing here. He's a leader in the development of the group and the players have a huge amount of respect for what he does for this team.''

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/south-sydney-rabbitohs-winger-matt-king-facing-four-months-out/story-fndv36md-1226605652022 
rabbitoh_fan

rabbitoh_fan

We had a power failure with 15 minutes to play. Bummer. 26 hours later it is back on and caught the last 12 mins of Newcastle/ Cowboys. Well done Knights

Our game looked like a scoreathon. Where was the defence? 
knitey

knitey

Should buy a generator Les. 
rabbitoh_fan

rabbitoh_fan

Twenty five years in this location and never needed one until this year. TWICE. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

I guess you will need to watch the encore of the match on foxtel this week :) 
rabbitoh_fan

rabbitoh_fan

Might do, but once the scores are in................. 
Doyen

Doyen

Luke has always been a gun player but more as an individual.
I felt in previous years that his team-mates were left scratching their heads as to where he was going & what he was doing!
His game has been toned down from that "out of control" approach to a much more organised one.
He is now understanding what it means to be a team player & it's working well for him & the team!!
He is taking on board what Madge is saying & it's turning him into a more complete hooker!! 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

Fromthenest - Frenchville SS will play Kingston SS in Qld Final.
ALX21 - Congrats to Sam Swift (Titans) for his debut.
KristinWatkins - Watch outstanding International Rugby sports South Africa v Argentina online free HD streaming live Present season. Watch this sport live...
Awks - And 2 years of the 8 my 2 nephews have been members.. Congratulations to the u12s in the finals win over nsw 26-6
sportsnews30 - It’s Australia vs New Zealand in the Bledisloe Cup on Saturday.The match is slated to start at 8 p.m. AEST (10 p.m. NZST, 10 a.m. GMT) at...
sportsnews30 - Taranaki vs Counties Manukau live stream Rugby 2014 online streaming & TV Channels. We must be ensure you the best online Rugby Live stre...
seaeagles - your post is a good while back now,but I think you are on to a good thing there.i am based on the southern tip of the central coast(ex-Sy...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181