The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Rabbitohs Rookies

Rsag85

Rsag85

Season is just around the corner and I would like everyone take on which rookie in our squad will make there debuts first? 
View all 127 comments
Rsag85

Rsag85

It's funny how these threads always go off topic with these types of stuff, I would love to have atleast one of the threads I start stay on topic.... Can only dream mate. 
southsport

southsport

Keep dreamin'.........sometimes they come true. 
benson3315100

benson3315100

there is no way madge will play both keary and reynolds in the same team. Would be way to weak defensively on both sides. 
southsport

southsport

Keary too small for 5/8.........the PNG 5/8 was a solid boy. 
Doyen

Doyen

Both Reynolds & Keary are around 85 kgs!
THURSTON is 82 kgs----too small--BS!!
From the reports I've read,Keary is rated as being strong defensively! 
Rsag85

Rsag85

I think he meant in height not weight. 
Doyen

Doyen

Size in a RL player is more weight & the capacity to absorb punishment--he didn't mean height at all! 
cpr_89

cpr_89

As far as halves go, Reynolds would have to be one of the better defeners IMO. Not a good enough reason not to play both. 
TheMug

TheMug

Sutton is too big for five eight making him too slow 
southsport

southsport

He just looked a bit small to me, I didn't see the game, just the highlights........I could be wrong. 
Doyen

Doyen

The weight's not a problem!JT is the best 5/8 in the world[even better than JS]& he's 3 kgs lighter than Keary..It depends on how smart & tough you are.
As they say--"It's the size of fight in the dog.........!! 
Rsag85

Rsag85

So if weights not the problem then it must be his height that makes him look small 
Rsag85

Rsag85

He did look a bit small to me too. 
Doyen

Doyen

He is tallish at 5'10".Reynolds is shorter & stockier[68 cms].Keary has more of an athletic build.This would account maybe for his superior speed!
Keary is 178 cms---2.54cm to an inch--this makes him 70+inches;which is just over 5'10".
JT is 179cms & weighs 82 kgs--a spindlier frame--but a much,much smarter brain than the rest!! 
Doyen

Doyen

Maybe you need glasses mate!! 
southsport

southsport

What did you say??? 
Rsag85

Rsag85

Still looks smaller mate. 
TheMug

TheMug

Ben Barba is small but he showed again yesterday he is one of the most valuable players in the game as he has so much speed. Sure Barba defends out of the line but a smaller player loaded with speed and skill will still be effective even if defending in the line. So it all comes back to how much speed and skill Keary has to offset his small size

Keary has only played U20s and really needs to play a season against men in NSW Cup before he is ready for NRL anyways. But John Sutton showed in the last game in 2012 vs the Bulldogs that he is not a long term answer for the No 6 spot. He does not have enough speed and skill to break up a determined defence. Sutton's big size does not offset his lack of speed and skill. Sutton can play No 6 this season but the plan has to be to replace him at No 6 in 2014 
SonicStar

SonicStar

Keary played several games last season in the NSW Cup for the Bears 
rabbitohs95

rabbitohs95

Agree somewhat on both sides;

Keary needs to play a few games of NSW Cup (or at least blitz it in the trials) until he'd be ready for NRL imo

BUT i fully believe he could replace Sutton halfway/somewhere through the season

He's a quick young half who has good vision (see Clark's second try vs PNG) and has speed to burn (when he got tackled out just before he got to the PNG line and did that set play with Hunt off the scrum)

He's also very tough and took many hits and made some great tackles against PNG, one of if not the toughest rugby league teams in the world.

I have no doubt it my mind that he can make it, he just needs to round off his game and i believe a few games in NSW Cup would do wonders for his game and his confidence. 
Doyen

Doyen

Sorry about that!! 
Doyen

Doyen

Maybe you're right in this assessment but I reckon JS is still desperately[& unsuccessfully]trying to round off his game at 5/8 after 7 years of trying.
Is this kid short on confidence?
He's made the TC Team of the YEAR,he's played NSW's Cup & starred & been promoted to the Sths NRL squad!!He's also played Qld Cup.And he's not a kid--he's turned 21. 
Doyen

Doyen

Here we are still discussing JS as NOT being a long-term 5/8 & the bugger's been doing it[or trying]for about 7 yrs.Enough is enough,IMO!
I don't really care if Keary takes time to find his feet in firsts.I'd chuck him in the deep end.
Good God--he'll have plenty of great players around him.
He's not going to gain much at this stage by languishing in the NSW'S Cup!!! 
Nifty

Nifty

[TABLE="class: infobox vcard"]
[TR]
[TD]Full name[/TD]
[TD="class: nickname, colspan: 6"]Johnathan Dean Thurston[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Nickname[/TD]
[TD="class: nickname, colspan: 6"]JT[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Born[/TD]
[TD="colspan: 6"] 25 April 1983 (age 29)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brisbane Brisbane , Queensland, Australia[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Height[/TD]
[TD="colspan: 6"]179 cm (5 ft 10 in)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Weight[/TD]
[TD="colspan: 6"]82 kg (13 st)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[h=1]Luke Keary http://staticnrl.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/profile/00141044_Image.jpeg [/h]Date of Birth: 3 February, 1992
[LIST]
[*]Height: 178 cm
[*]Weight: 84 kg
[*]Position: Halfback/Five-eighth
[/LIST]
Not much difference between Thurston and Keary. Keary is way big enough for NRL. 
southsport

southsport

OK, that's good, size shouldn't be a problem so it's up to Madge. 
Bunnies

Bunnies

He may not be that big a bloke but he's damn tough. If you were at the Return to Redfern you'd have seen him take quite a few hits and get right back up. 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

Fromthenest - Frenchville SS will play Kingston SS in Qld Final.
ALX21 - Congrats to Sam Swift (Titans) for his debut.
KristinWatkins - Watch outstanding International Rugby sports South Africa v Argentina online free HD streaming live Present season. Watch this sport live...
Awks - And 2 years of the 8 my 2 nephews have been members.. Congratulations to the u12s in the finals win over nsw 26-6
sportsnews30 - It’s Australia vs New Zealand in the Bledisloe Cup on Saturday.The match is slated to start at 8 p.m. AEST (10 p.m. NZST, 10 a.m. GMT) at...
sportsnews30 - Taranaki vs Counties Manukau live stream Rugby 2014 online streaming & TV Channels. We must be ensure you the best online Rugby Live stre...
seaeagles - your post is a good while back now,but I think you are on to a good thing there.i am based on the southern tip of the central coast(ex-Sy...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181