The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Obstruction Rule/Play the Ball infringem,ents

hurricanh57

hurricanh57

Against Cronulla, Souths had two trys disallowed for obstruction under the new rule.
The Storm had one disallowed against the dogs and Saints had one against the Raiders.

I agree with the new ruling were if an attacking runner interferes with a defender, at all, the try is disallowed. We are afterall playing League, not Union or gridiron.

I also see the benefit of the new interpretation of what constitutes 'slowing down the play the ball' and how its policed.
This tightening of penalising slowing 'play the ball' has speeded up the game immensley. imo, and allows for much more movement up and down the field.

Attacking from in your own half, as Souts did against Penrith, was much ore exciting compared to five tackles - kick on the last, which can become boring (ask St George). 
Dogga

Dogga

In both games you can't illegally disadvantage a defender so not sure what your point is ? 
hurricanh57

hurricanh57

In rugby union they have what they call 'ruck and maul' were the attacking team just rolls through any defenders and places the ball over the try line.

In gridiron, its my understanding, attackers players knock defending players out of the way to allow a running back to progress to whats called a 'down' off which each attacking team has four before handing the ball over (who cares) or scoring a touch down.

Thats my point or points.

Do hope you understand and maybe comment on the new rule interpretations. I'm interested in your point of view regarding these interpretations (not how clever you are or how clever you think you are). 
ratz_man

ratz_man

Well if it does quicken up the game and is more entertaining i'm all for it. 
bandwagon

bandwagon

Not happy with some of the interpretations around Obstruction, the blanket ruling where if contact is made with a defender regardless of the impact that had on the ensuing play is a bit much.

There should be room for an allowance of contact if it is obvious that contact would in no way have effected the outcome. 
Bunnies

Bunnies

I love the hand in ruck rule, prevents those ominous decisions for lost balls.
Yhe obstruction rule is having a big impact too! 
Dogga

Dogga

Just refs trying to make a point , it will die after 10 rounds like it always does . Walking off the mark , markers not straight , foot on the ball, the list goes on for things they have targeted then forgotten about.

My point re nfl and rugby is you can still illegally disadvantage the defense and they get penalised for it ( holding is the most common penalty in the nfl ) so the obstruction rule is the same in league it doesn't somehow differentiate it from those two games . 
hurricanh57

hurricanh57

My mistake then, lets carry on.

I agree with you re the refs will forget, in fact I think they have lessened the intensity of the penalties for play the ball infringements already.
I think that this is counterproductive because some teams where realising that fast play the balls increased the speed with which they were able to catch oppositions having no chance to reset defence, ie Souths in the first half against Penrith and Penrith against Souths in the second half. That game may not have been a 'classic' football game but it was played at a frantic pace, which was surprising when you look how hot it was.

As fgor the dummy runner (in attack) alls fair if both teams are treated the same - I think thats what all supporters of all clubs want. 
southsport

southsport

The defending team could also instigate the contact so that the try would be disallowed. 
MrChook

MrChook

Thats exactly what is going to happen now with this new interpretation. There'll be divers going down everywhere and the video ref will have no choice but to rule no try. 
ratz_man

ratz_man

Well there was a prop forward for the Bulldogs on the weekend who went down hurt and you could see he was faking it coz at most he got his long hair pulled, the ref said 'Get up! get up or we take the ball and play it 5 metres aside of you!' 
hurricanh57

hurricanh57

I think the video ref identifys' defending players who run into a dummy runner - and that guy who got his hair pulled must have felt pretty stupid because everybody went 'whats your problem, play the bloody ball' 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

TheSportDoctor - I like the concept of the draft. It would even the competition out and allow hope for those teams who are really bad each year. I know th...
ALX21 - Law-Cobbo, Turnbull, Dixon, Nagas and Conway were the best for the Probables, while Renouf, Burns, Cox, Simpson, Trindall, Fifita and McC...
sschedule - Live Australia Wallabies vs South Africa Springboks online HD streaming tv info, video, score, preview, highlights, result. Rugby 2014 wa...
sschedule - Live Australia Wallabies vs South Africa Springboks online HD streaming tv info, video, score, preview, highlights, result. Rugby 2014 wa...
livesportsinfo - Live Australia Wallabies vs South Africa Springboks online HD streaming tv info, video, score, preview, highlights, result. Rugby 2014 wa...
livesportsinfo - Live Australia Wallabies vs South Africa Springboks online HD streaming tv info, video, score, preview, highlights, result. Rugby 2014 wa...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181