The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Food for thought

hurricanh57

hurricanh57

John Stton is in career best form.
His defence is outstanding and he's running the ball and really hitting the line.

I'd like to move him to lock and bring Keary to five eight. (Lowe misses out)

What a spark that would bring to the side.

Talk about expand attacking options. 
View all 27 comments
rabbitohs95

rabbitohs95

I wouldn't take Lowe out seeing as he's in some good form but then again you can't take the captain out either.

I do agree though Sutton would suit Lock much better than he does Five Eighth, Keary should come into the team soon you would think. 
ratz_man

ratz_man

Good point, and in my view make Sutts captain and upgrade Keary's contract along with that young hooker APS 
Doyen

Doyen

Would agree on all points.Madge has really done wonders with JS & I'd like to see a local jnr as captain of our side, if possible.
Judging by what I've witnessed of late,JS may even go to another level with the Captaincy! 
Doyen

Doyen

Totally agree,although I wouldn't be surprised if Madge just stuck to the winning formula for as long as he can.
Would like to see Keary given his promotion if he kills it in the NSW's Cup---sooner rather than later!! 
Rsag85

Rsag85

You said it Sutton is in career best form as a 5/8, on channel 9 (Thursday nights game) Andrew Johns who is one of the best halves to ever play the game said that Sutton is the key in the Rabbitohs game most of our plays in attack are with Sutton involed in some point.

If Sutton was to make way for Keary which he will in the future, it should be in the 2nd row on the left side of the field so his game doesn't change that much and he can also play as a 2nd 5/8 
woodies

woodies

I wouldn't go changing that halves combination unless other sides start shutting Sutton down somehow. At the moment he is the most effective 5/8 in the comp, a game breaker.
Reynolds has benefitted from playing inside him, but remember it is only Reynold's second season. 
professional

professional

Sound logic there. Player is in career best form so I better move him. Even heard the expression "If it ain't broke don't fix it"?

Sutton is just a big, unconventional five-eight; his size just tricks people into thinking he is a lock IMO. He lacks the aggression and workrate to survive in the forwards. Nor do I think his defence is that great. 
TheMug

TheMug

When Reynolds went off the field vs the Bulldogs in the finals it was obvious that Souths had no one playing a halves role on the field. Sutton gave his all that night but he was just a backrower charging into the defensive line. Sutton has never been a genuine five eight. Sutton did have a good year last year but he also had a good year in 2007 when he played as a forward 
since56

since56

As previously stated, Sutton is driving the team and I reckon Mags will leave him at 5/8 for that reason. Sutton and Reynolds are developing into an outstanding combination and although i think he would go really well in the back row as well, probably better to leave things as they are for now.

I for one am really pleased to see Sutton doing so well, I'v always said he has a special talent - the size and off load of a forward and the play making attributes of a top class 5/8. That is a rare combination and used to its full effect can go a long way to delivering us to the glory land.

Keary is obviously someone special too but remember, RL is a high impact sport and we could lose Sutton or Reynolds (heaven forbid) to injury at any time, we're blessed to have young Keary in the wings, grooming him for the big time which he will undoubtedly achieve some time soon. 
ratz_man

ratz_man

If we make the GF we would have to have Reynolds and Keary in the 17 side 
Rsag85

Rsag85

Why is John Sutton at 5/8 is such a issue? It's not like we are losing games because of him in fact we are winning games because of his performance.

As hurrcanh57 said in his first comments John Sutton is in career best form. That say it all. 
Doyen

Doyen

Look--it's not a matter of how good JS is at 5/8[& he's going very well],it's a matter of whether the other guy,KEARY,can provide better.
If the coach thinks Keary will add something extra in the halves he will[& should] pick him.At present he's not even playing 5/8!!
What annoys me is that some people would blindly continue to back JS even if Keary could run the 100ms in 5secs,have a 10m sidestep,throw 50m bullet passes,kick 100ms & tackle like a sledgehammer!!
As far as I can see this is the final year of Keary's contract so if STHS really want him they'll have to give him a fair go!! 
Rsag85

Rsag85

John Sutton is our 5/8 end of story until Maguire makes the call to bring in Keary in the side nothing will change and there really is no need for it. 
professional

professional

What a crock. If Keary was capable of those things (or even close) then there wouldn't be a single person who would object to him being in the team, even Rsag. But Keary doesn't do any of those things.

People don't want him replacing Sutton because he is a raw half, whose quality is an unknown factor compared to an established player like Sutton. It isn't because people have an irrational dislike of Keary that overrides common sense.

I mean, you haven't even seen him play more than one or two games (if any at all). Surely you should actually watch him a bit rather than idly speculating about his quality and then getting in a huff when people don't agree with you. 
hurricanh57

hurricanh57

We're all entitled to our points of view and I apreciate both yours and good old Ragsy.

In response to your cliche 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' I respond with a cliche of my own 'we learn nothing from our victories, we only learn from our defeats' that is, only painful stimulae teaches us anything.

As I said in the beginning of this post I think JS is in career best form and I think the benefits the team would reap from an extra ball player like Keary, putting the opposition in two minds, would dramatically increase the teams attacking options. Moving JS to lock where he can virtually play the same role he has now only with less pressure would enhance his game even further.

I don't think Lowe is the same player he was before his run of injuries (foot injury and a rib injury wasn't it).
He never breakes the line any more and he very seldom passes the ball, can't remember the last time he passed the ball actually. He may be a good defender but Madge has a team full of good defenders, like JS.

I just rewatched the Charity Shield and was impressed by Keary's game, granted he had very little game time but he did a lot in that limited time. I think he just might put it to Carney, if given the chance.
Anyway, he'd have a set of forwars that have the capacity to lay a very solid foundation for him to control the Souths attack.

I was hoping that some one close to team selection e.g. Sonic, might be able to let us know if Madge is leening in a particular direction - we will have to see, after all all we as fans do is debate and abuse each other - good fun usually. 
ratz_man

ratz_man

I didn't think the Storm looked as stronge as they were last year 
Criswell

Criswell

The big error was moving Luke from hooker where he was tearing the Dogs apart, into half. We totally lost all momentum and impact in aout 3 minutes. Keep in mind, we were winning when Adam went off. Madge should have simply put Peats into half and told him to tackle and pass. Now we still may have lost but i think we would have made it a better game. 
Bryco30

Bryco30

Why lf lt wasn't for A Renoylds lnjury ln last years Semi you could very well have made the final? 
ratz_man

ratz_man

Insurance, plus i think he will be playing 5/8 by then 
botanyrabbit

botanyrabbit

you would play 2 5/8's if Keary makes grade 
Rsag85

Rsag85

Why change Sutton's game? When Keary is ready. We play with two fullbacks in Merritt & Inglis right? 
ratz_man

ratz_man

Sutton as on-field captain nd second rower, Keary as 5/8 and Reynolds halfback 
southsport

southsport

That is what most likely will eventually happen. 
motiveight

motiveight

Keary and Korisau (Apisai) are just stepping up to NSW Cup level.

I suggest viewing these games before any fantasy posts about Sutton. 
Doyen

Doyen

You think these two need to do an apprenticeship in the NSW's Cup??
They will be there until injury occurs or we get the wobbles badly---as long as we're winning I don't think changes will happen!! 
Rsag85

Rsag85

Keary might get a chance if Reynolds gets pick for the NSW BLUES 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

ALX21 - In my opinion, players listed above would be worthy of selection to come up against the Knights dominated NSW team. Good luck to all tea...
boaa - Depending on finals performance Hudson may force tatipata or Allan out. Bench could be peacock sula sioasa Wilshire and noema
buckmajor - Thanks Steve, forgot to check back here lol.
ALX21 - NYC RD 7 Results Broncos: J.Nikorima 3 tries, 5 goals
ALX21 - Also Dawson Cross made the Wide Bay team @eileen.
showaheart - Any headgear is good headgear, my only advice is to buy something he wants to wear, the hardest thing I found with the young one's, is ge...
Footyfreak1971 - Yes it will be interesting to see I how many boys will be picked from the zone teams in 14s. I don't think we will see many, because ther...
grandad - I played for taxation in early 60's and i'm sure there was a team from mail exchange

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168