The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Adam Reynolds turned to video tapes of Mitchell Pearce before making his NRL debut

RoostarGirl

RoostarGirl

HE looms as the man most likely to snatch the NSW jumper off Mitchell Pearce's back - yet South Sydney young gun Adam Reynolds says Mitchell Pearce is exactly the type of player he wants to be.

The NRL All Stars playmaker has revealed how he trawled through hours of video of Pearce before making his NRL debut for South Sydney last year.

It paid off: Reynolds was last season's runaway rookie of the year, and is now the man putting the most pressure on Pearce to retain his position in the side to meet Queensland in Origin I on June 5.

"When I was out the year before (in 2011, with injury), I did a lot of video work on Mitchell," the 22-year-old said.

"I was just trying to get my game up to scratch to see what I can improve.

"Watching him helped a lot: his toughness in the game, his kicking game's good, his running game is up to scratch too. I wouldn't doubt him.

Advertisement

"I don't know him personally - I've met him a few times - but I think he's a wonderful player," the Rabbitohs star said.

"He stands out for his club, and in Origin he plays good football. He's a tough player. He's copped a fair bit of criticism, which I don't think is fair."

Indeed, the hysteria about Reynolds playing Origin this year in place of Pearce can be ascribed to seven straight series defeats at the hands of Queensland.

Nobody cops it in the neck after a series loss quite like the Blues halfback, as Pearce could attest after last year's narrow defeat in the decider at Suncorp Stadium.

That criticism prompted the likes of Andrew Johns and Brad Fittler to publicly endorse Pearce as the long-term halfback.

For all Reynolds' ability, it is understood incoming coach Laurie Daley is loath to blood the young kid from Redfern. Not yet.

Meanwhile, on the other side of Anzac Parade, Pearce is impressing all in pre-season training for the Roosters at Moore Park.

He is settled in his home life, has flicked alcohol, and has set himself the ambitious target of being a part of the Kangaroos squad to play in next year's World Cup in England.

Incidentally, he is only one year older than Reynolds but about to play his seventh season of first grade.

While Reynolds is aware he will probably have to bide his time, he is prepared to place as much pressure on the incumbent NSW halfback.

"I am definitely out to do that," Reynolds said. "But I'm not too worried about looking that far ahead. If I'm playing good footy at Souths, selections will look after themselves."

Daley certainly sees something though, because he roomed Reynolds and Bulldogs five-eighth Josh Reynolds alongside each other in last month's Emerging Blues camp at Coogee."Just to be thrown into that emerging squad was good for me, to experience what Origin is about," he said.

"To be recognised that I could be good enough to play Origin in the future is very humbling."

For now, he has the humbling experience of playing alongside the likes of Cameron Smith, Benji Marshall and Robbie Farah in the NRL All Stars side, which plays the Indigenous All Stars at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday night.

"I grew up in Redfern and all my mates are indigenous," Reynolds said.

"They are wonderful people, they are very proud of their culture - and as I found out when I was growing up, they are very, very talented."

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/adam-reynolds-turned-to-video-tapes-of-mitchell-pearce-before-making-his-nrl-debut-for-south-sydney/story-e6frexnr-1226572103498

:8 
View all 239 comments
Bunnies

Bunnies

Not specifically. G.I got up really quickly too to his credit. Just saying Mateo was equally at fault imo for being ill prepared. 
MadMike

MadMike

It was all GI doesn't matter who pass, GI just read play well 
Doyen

Doyen

If Reynolds plays as well as last season I'll be happy.
Forget about this game--the Indigenous side were focused for the game & the NRL side weren't.He didn't have much of a chance to shine! 
SonicStar

SonicStar

I think Pearce needs to watch video tapes of Reynolds to learn how to kick and keep your opposition pinned down in their own half. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

He hasn't done it any other year why would 2013 be any different ;) 
MrChook

MrChook

Do you mean straight down the fullbacks throat all game? Oh, yeah except the one where he kicked out on the full. Reynolds short kicking game was on song but his long kicking game for field position was quite poor.

You guys had position for much of the game due to our constant ill-dicipline and incomplete sets. 
footydiva

footydiva

Pfffft Reynolds has watched plenty of tapes. More likely Lockyer tapes. Watching Pearce tapes would have been more likely to pick apart Your dud no7 flaws...which the sooki princess has plenty!

Go cry to your daddy Wayne to get your jersey in origin..coz it's certainly not earnt on form... 
SonicStar

SonicStar

lol can't even give credit were its due, his kicking in the second half wasn't as good, probably not having bandages covering your eyes would have helped.

he was getting repeat sets, we scored tries off his kicks and his kicks kept you down your own end made huge difference to the game 
southsport

southsport

That's what I was thinking.........after the bandages went on the bombs started landing in the in-goal. 
james2

james2

Good try Mr Chook....even blindfolded he outplayed Pearce. 
MrChook

MrChook

Guess you can't read too well. I gave credit to his short kicking game ya pelican. 
footydiva

footydiva

Either way you look at it Mitch had no game last night... To critique Reyno is a joke in comparison to your no7 non existent kicking game! --THE END-- 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Reynolds should look at how Pearce works with Aubusson, setting him up for two line breaks. Reynolds should be looking to do that with Teo and Champion who can be dangerous cutting back on that unders line. 
RoostarGirl

RoostarGirl

The one time we put pressure on him, he kicked on the full. Pearce was under that pressure the whole game and still managed to find space and not the fullback 
chaps76

chaps76

Pearced nipple's is a shit half back 
professional

professional

Wow, Rabbitohs forwards dominated the Roosters and as a consequence Reynolds looked better than Pearce. Who'd have thunk it?

Reynolds gets to kick close to the line and force restarts while Pearce has to take a lot of kicks from within his own half (and only hit Inglis on the full once IIRC). What a surprise that Reynolds looked better than Pearce.

Reynolds' passing was still poor; he should try watching some tapes to fix that. 
Bunnies

Bunnies

Reynolds dominated in his short kicking game and conversions Definitely has some work to do on the long kicking game but all in all, even considering our forward pack influence, still left Pearce for dead. 
MrChook

MrChook

Obviously. Read Senor's post above, he explains it quite well how the halfbacks fortunes can be dependant on their teams go forward. 
bandwagon

bandwagon

First ten minutes or so when the Roosters had the ascendancy, Pearce looked pretty good.

Threw some deft passes that had the Bunnies r/h side looking pretty ordinary. 
Zinga

Zinga

Who would you have at your club, Pearce or Reynolds?? 
SonicStar

SonicStar

Been hearing excuses for Pearce year after year, he has played in big forward packs, star studded sides and still doesn't perform up to the hype.

Some people need to let go of their egos and just admit the player they rated and thought would storm on to the NRL is nothing but a myth and move on.

I'm pretty sure they will feel much better no longer having to defend poor performances.

Similar to Anasta at the Roosters, Roosters fans couldn't say a bad word about him or his performances while everyone else pointed out how shit he was, until Anasta left the club was when Roosters fans finally admitted the truth. 
professional

professional

Ignoring issues of salary: Mitchell Pearce. 
Zinga

Zinga

Why him? 
professional

professional

Better all round. Reynolds is flattered because he only has to play a limited role. Pearce is a better ball-player and more dangerous overall with the ball in hand. Reynolds has a sharper short kicking game but overall I wouldn't rate Pearce's kicking game that much lower. I don't see Reynolds progressing into anything more than a good first grade player. 
bandwagon

bandwagon

My thoughts would be tainted in this regard by our previous dealings with an ex bunny. 
southsport

southsport

He'd have Sandow........oh wait a minute, he's already got him. 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

ALX21 - RD 21 SquadsBulldogs15 D.MaroskeStorm14 J.Turpin15 C.GaloRaiders6 L.LewisBroncos5 E.Alick6 J.Nikorima14 W.BrimsonCowboys6 T.Carucci7 C.Ba...
Fromthenest - Well there you go. Apparently Wide Bay's final is being played Thursday between Norville SS of Bundy and St Pat's Gympie. I am lead to be...
seaeagles - your post is a good while back now,but I think you are on to a good thing there.i am based on the southern tip of the central coast(ex-Sy...
OutbackEyes - CAIRNS FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND 2014 Tassell Trophy Club Challenge Under 14’s Carnival will be held at Vico Oval, Irene St Mooroobool, Cairns...
Leblancboys - Carina have had a number of season ending injuries and a coaching crisis mid year which can hurt the boys. East have been struggling for ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
ALX21 - Cowboys should lock Marshall Hudson in for a few years. One to keep an eye on.

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181