The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

30th Charity Shield

rabbitoh_fan

rabbitoh_fan

This line, "Goes to show how much the game has been bastardised over time!!!", made me think it was a tirade.

No, the SC was not used as it is today, but big hits, not tackles, were always a part of the game.

Anyway, we both have our views and they differ.

The thing that sticks in my craw is that it was supposed to be done as a safety thing, yet many dangerous things still occur that put players out for a long time.

If it is all stopped, we will have a pretty tame game. 
Doyen

Doyen

My memory from the 50s & 60s especially, is a large % of tackles being made around the hips,legs & ankles---with coathangers thrown in as the bad element!
My memory as a kid running around the park was of the coach telling us to tackle low & hard.I don't think I ever attempted a tackle above the waist. 
rabbitoh_fan

rabbitoh_fan

Always taught to tackle near the hips and slide down, but that will only work on a player that is on the move.

You can lay around the legs of a slow or stationary player all day and he will offload.

As you said. Different game nowadays. The old hips and legs was a tackle used more from behind. 
MadMike

MadMike

Can't run without legs 
rabbitoh_fan

rabbitoh_fan

Can stand and pass to someone that is running.

Called offloading. 
MrChook

MrChook

This is what I was taught as a youngster too. Tackled around the legs most times up until about U/15's when the kids got bigger and stronger and when a stray knee knocked me out cold. From then on I aimed at the stomach to sternum - which is where I've taught my kid to aim at. 
MadMike

MadMike

Didn't know that, maybe that's where I went wrong. . . Lol 
MadMike

MadMike

Same, the one around the legs then one up top 
SaintAnger

SaintAnger

Souths have named a formidable side for the Grand Final I see 
Doyen

Doyen

The players of those 2 eras were very,very efficient with their low style of tackling.Blokes like Lisle,Coote,Sait,Raper etc would be like scythe's cutting through a cornfield.Drop you like a bag of.........!!!
Didn't seem to have much time to unload when you were hitting the deck in a split second.
There wouldn't be players around these days who could tackle Coote or Raper style & with the same proficiency. 
chaps76

chaps76

The tables have turned its now the steelers g.f 
rabbitoh_fan

rabbitoh_fan

I am sure that is what I intimated. The tackle around the legs is not as efficient nowadays due to the different nature of the game.

Usually works best when a break is made. Scott Sattler. 
Rsag85

Rsag85

Rumour: Nathan Merritt is OUT of the Charity Shield for Disciplinary reasons, Will line up for North Sydney. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

They could of least named a second string side so we have a chance :( 
ratz_man

ratz_man

Favoured Souths under pressure to deliver on fans' great expectations

[h=3]1.Will Souths miss Dave Taylor?[/h]The Rabbitohs have lost arguably the most unique player in the competition: an imposing forward with size, power and an occasional deft touch. But, in gaining Ben Te'o as a replacement, have they actually lost much? Arguably no. They are not quite like-for-like players, but Te'o can be as destructive as most in the competition, should provide more consistency and seems to be still improving. He will play his first match for the Rabbitohs in the Charity Shield, giving Souths fans an early feel of just how big the hole left by Taylor's departure will be, if indeed it turns out to be a hole at all.
[h=3]2. Have the Dragons found a fullback?[/h]It took until the opening rounds of last season for Souths to have their fullback problems solved, through the switch of Greg Inglis from centre. With Inglis invariably potent from the back, the Rabbitohs flourished last season. The Dragons struggled to find a fullback, using wingers Brett Morris and Jason Nightingale, and their premiership form stuttered. The position has become so important these days; the top four teams last year each had top-class fullbacks. So it's over to you, Gerard Beale, who had been unable to play his preferred position http://forums.rleague.com/# regularly at the Broncos. Dragons supporters will be eager to see how he compares with a player like Inglis, who seems to be even fitter and stronger than he was last season.
Advertisement

[h=3]3. Same question. This time the halfback.[/h]In fact, there are many questions one could ask about the Dragons' halves. Their first-choice halfback, Kyle Stanley, was injured in the pre-season, leaving coach Steve Price to turn to a veteran in Nathan Fien to replace the http://forums.rleague.com/# retired veteran in Ben Hornby. That said, they have a relative unknown with the ability to make his mark in 2013, the former Manly NYC captain Josh Drinkwater. The youngster will play in the Charity Shield off the bench, but Price will need only look to his opponents for proof that pitching a young, keen and talented player into the NRL can turn around a club's fortunes. After guiding Souths so well through 2012, halfback Adam Reynolds will be out to prove second-year syndrome is a myth.

[h=3]4. How are the Dragons placed moving forward?[/h]Or specifically, forwards. The Rabbitohs have an imposing pack, so the Dragons can put the rest of the premiership on notice with a strong display up front. Price is clearly still playing around with combinations; Matt Prior will start up front with Michael Henderson, while Trent Merrin has been named at lock. Michael Weyman will play off the bench while Dan Hunt has been left out as a precaution after recent hamstring troubles. Having a good fullback and halfback will mean little if the Dragons' forward pack struggles.

[h=3]5. How will Souths respond to high expectation?[/h]What? People expect Souths to excel? The Rabbitohs have not been in this position since Craig Coleman had a mullet. Many thought the Rabbitohs would improve last year, and they did, perhaps beyond the expectations of most. Yet after finishing with a preliminary final appearance, many now expect them to end their season a week later in 2013. Their ability to achieve that will be determined partly by how they respond to those expectations, as a team which for so long did not know how to win. Souths are heavily favoured to defeat the Dragons, so we should be given some idea of how they will fare as a favourite.

[h=3]6. Are these teams destined for the finals?[/h]The Charity Shield is unlikely to answer that question. The clash is invariably willing but has not been a good gauge of form. In the past eight seasons, only twice have the Charity Shield winners finished higher at the end of the subsequent season than their opponents.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/favoured-souths-under-pressure-to-deliver-on-fans-great-expectations-20130221-2euda.html#ixzz2LZJBEG00 
dkm13

dkm13

What's the go with Merritt??Pretty poor form if it's true.You would expect more from one of the sides most experienced players,especially this close to the season starting. 
Rsag85

Rsag85

Rumour is he turned up late for training 
Woofy777

Woofy777

How can he turn up late....
Isn't he walking distance from redfern oval...
Disappointing!!!!! 
ratz_man

ratz_man

y'all ready for this???? 
bandwagon

bandwagon

He is getting on in years.

Obviously not as quick as he used to be. 
knitey

knitey

Agree, it's not as easy to get up early once you start to age. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

misplaced his teeth and glasses? 
knitey

knitey

That.....Plus aunty ritis I surmise. 

Recent Rugby League Posts

OutbackEyes - The Venues and Match Details for next weekend's Connell and Meninga Cup semi-finals.The respective winners will meet in the state finals....
ALX21 - Also Dawson Cross made the Wide Bay team @eileen.
ALX21 - NYC RD 7 Squads Titans 17 J.Wedderburn-Parish Cowboys 17 C.Hess Broncos 2 E.Alick 6 J.Nikorima 7 W.Brimson 17 G.Fai
BobRiley - Did qld ever win a origin match after the hooter
showaheart - Any headgear is good headgear, my only advice is to buy something he wants to wear, the hardest thing I found with the young one's, is ge...
Footyfreak1971 - Yes it will be interesting to see I how many boys will be picked from the zone teams in 14s. I don't think we will see many, because ther...
grandad - I played for taxation in early 60's and i'm sure there was a team from mail exchange
Northqld - What about with the u/15 QAS team, are they too only made up of contracted players??? Not sure about that. Do they get to play at any ot...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168