The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Who will beat the Storm?

slip

slip

Look, it's only Round 4 and the Storm can fall apart with injuries or SOO taking a toll (doubt it), but after tonight they have stamped their authority. I'm thinking Souths or Manly, Bulldogs need to improve or field their best team to be a contender like last year. I thought Tigers, but this week was ordinary. Parra for sure on the back of Sandow and Hayne. lol 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Tigers? Seriously?

The Storm will have their usual slump of about 2-3 games at some stage (probably towards the end of the year) but they are a class above everyone else right now.
But then again, so were St George Illawarra after half the season in 2011. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

parramatta :) 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Beat them last year.
Surely we can do it again. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

its funny that the dragons and parra beat melbourne last season :lol:

Maybe they take out sides lightly on away trips :) 
slip

slip

I only thought the Tigers because they can destroy any team with their attack, but consistency is a real problem for them. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

the tigers problem is same problem its always been they can score 30-40 but they can also concede 30-40 :lol: 
Maroon4life

Maroon4life

I don't think any other team in the comp has the ability to outplay (or outcoach) them. As cliche as it sounds i think they can only be beaten by not playing at a level which we know they can and another team playing a near perfect game. I think it's a fair call to make, go over the last 4 to 5 years and see they've always finnished as minor premiers or close too & done so with minimal losses, they generally have long winded winning streaks which end with performances well below their standard.

Whose most likely to beat them this year? Bulldogs & Cowboys for mine. 
yourhero

yourhero

They did just get 26 points put on them though... If it wasn't for some outstanding long range attack, or the ball bounces the Broncos way on a couple of occasions, or the refs suspect calls go the other way and the Storm probably get done tonight.

Very un-Melbourne like edge defence. 
HarrySack

HarrySack

Guaranteed, it will be one of the bottom 4 sides. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

warriors or penrith?

can't be dragons as we only play them once this year. :lol: 
HarrySack

HarrySack

Hence why I said "one of" :lol:

You poor bastards won't beat anyone.....except the Sharks this weekend. 
zepha75

zepha75

Bunnies and maybe Sharks. 
saints

saints

Quite a few teams can beat them IMO. It only takes one good game in the GF to upset their plans.

The Storm are a very well rehearsed side who play to a set structure. I felt that the Broncs last night almost had them. Surely the "try" to Slater where Thaiday was held back was obstruction ?

It'll just take one Coach to devise a scheme which upsets this structured play. I felt they handled Billy well with their kicking game. But they failed to handle his open play and chasing.

One way to play them is to try and play in their half - ie keep the ball in their half. Continually kick to the corners and tackle like your life depends on it. Make them kick long - not high !

You'd need to bring in a few players who are purely tacklers/defensive. Be at the Ref all game.

And - not be afraid to give a penalty. 
bandwagon

bandwagon

You can,t out Storm the Storm, so the sides who are modelling their game on the benchmarks that the Storm have set will not beat them at their own game unless they catch them on a very poor day.

Or they find a spine as good ( yeah right )

Interesting though how the Bronco's had nothing against them until they decided to keep passing left, over and over again, the storm simply failed to adjust, and that may well be their weakness.

Having said that, the Storm were off their game a bit as well, some of their fith tackle options ( particularly in the first half ) were simply pedestrian. 
SydneyRaider

SydneyRaider

Any team who can just run at their right-side defence whilst being able to hold onto the ball and match them in the forwards. Then just contain 3 of the best players in league history and it's an easy win. 
MrChook

MrChook

I think every NRL coach would be watching highlights of last nights game and see what the Broncs were doing there. Storms backs were caught out several times last night which will make opposition teams sit and and notice for sure. 
alchemist

alchemist

i think the Storm, Rabbits, Sea Eagles and Cowboys (because of the quality of their squad) are the contenders this season and any of the others mentioned could beat the Storm 
SonicStar

SonicStar

we play the storm in round 6, both teams could be undefeated when they match up.

We play them in Sydney and we haven't done that since 2007 I'm pretty sure. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

You guys are going to inundate them for that match. A few storm fans here and there and the rest bunnies :) 
MrChook

MrChook

Guess who'll I'll be cheering for...

You may be pleasantly surprised. 
Marcus1979

Marcus1979

It would be rabbitohs based on what you have said previously as you hate the storm from their accounting records not to mention the storm have Slater and Smith (isn't that reason enough to hate them) 
woodies

woodies

Agreed. Brisbane exposed some weaknesses. Junor sau, Duffie, Chambers with the covering defence of Cronk.
Match them defensively in the forwards, run your forwards at Smith and Cronk to tire them but you won't get through that pack. Kick away from Slater and short in front of him to get him uncertain about dropping back and get him working for the possession rather than choosing his gaps.
Have a few set plays to exploit the edges.

Last year Bennett had the Knights constantly dropping bombs on the 22 when slater was back in the in-goal. it worked for a bit, nullifying his impact on the return, but the Knights had errors in forward defence and with the ball and evntually the tide turned to the Storm. 
Powersbronco

Powersbronco

That all came from Thaiday and Hannant rolling right through them up at middle. The broncs forwards were dominant for that 20 min period after half time and they ended up leading. 
MadMike

MadMike

Would be great if both sides keep winning, then top of the table clash 

Recent Rugby League Posts

Awks - And 2 years of the 8 my 2 nephews have been members.. Congratulations to the u12s in the finals win over nsw 26-6
sportsnews30 - It’s Australia vs New Zealand in the Bledisloe Cup on Saturday.The match is slated to start at 8 p.m. AEST (10 p.m. NZST, 10 a.m. GMT) at...
ALX21 - Congrats to Sam Lavea for his debut 2 weeks ago. Jack Morris named for his debut for the Eels.
sportsnews30 - Taranaki vs Counties Manukau live stream Rugby 2014 online streaming & TV Channels. We must be ensure you the best online Rugby Live stre...
Fromthenest - Frenchville SS 46 def St Pats Gympie 4. They will play Weir SS sometime in the next fortnight.
seaeagles - your post is a good while back now,but I think you are on to a good thing there.i am based on the southern tip of the central coast(ex-Sy...
OutbackEyes - CAIRNS FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND 2014 Tassell Trophy Club Challenge Under 14’s Carnival will be held at Vico Oval, Irene St Mooroobool, Cairns...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181