The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Stand Alone Origin weeks

TheCowsBoy

TheCowsBoy

As a Cowboys fan i can't just blame Origin for yet another sub-par year but as a fan of League i hate seeing a virtually full-strength side up against an Origin-depleted team in a one-sided contest that only rarely springs a surprise result (eg the baby Broncos sides of a few years back). So, i have been toying with a way to have a stand-alone Origin week where the majority of the NRL players still manage to get a game.
Currently there are 16 NRL teams each with 13 run-on players = 208.
With a 17 man squad, 12 teams gives us 204 players so if there were 6 top-tier games on an 'Origin' weekend most of your NRL players will not be twiddling their thumbs while the elite get a game.
So, 6 games: QLD v NSW - get the choice of all eligible players
QLD A v NSW A - the next best eligible 17, or perhaps add a few of the new NRL young guns to the Under 20's Origin games.
City v Country - left-overs of NSW eligibles
NQ v SQ - left-overs of QLD eligibles
NZ north island v south island - can't left the Kiwis have a week off and it will be a de facto Origin series for them. would be awesome viewing i reckon.
Islanders v Invitationals - surely a Pacific Islands/PNG eligible team could put up a great show against a mix of Poms and others who don't really fit in anywhere.
Now, i haven't crunched the numbers to see how it stacks up - you may not have enough NRL-standard NQ origin players once 2 QLD sides have already been chosen and probably a number of Kiwis would be left watching from the sidelines (though they could be added to the Islanders and/or the Invitationals).
Most of these games already have built-in rivalries (the only mock-up is the Islander game). A 3-game City v Country series would make this bit-of-a-joke game relevant and great to watch. and i, for one, would love to see the NQ (and maybe western QLD) boys take it to the BrisVegas/SQ mob - a QLD version of City v Country.
Each of these would be a 3 game series and, like current Origin series, could fit into the normal NRL season while a few weeks between games (as the current set-up is). The season would extend by 3 weeks but if you then get rid of the byes (2 points for having a week off - what a wank!) then really the season is only 1 week longer than now.
Clubs may want to rest some 'stars' who are not in the big show (Origin) but i don't think a lot of the players would want to miss the chance to represent whatever side they can qualify for, especially when it means testing themselves in a higher level game that could lead to better NRL contracts or even a fast-track to Origin.
Even if only 4 of these games are viable drawcards that's still 136 NRL-level players who play a higher-level match over 3 weekends during the season.
Now, that's a weekend's entertainment.

thoughts anyone? 
devolution

devolution

Personally I'm all for post-season origin.

I mean, NSW got rooted with injury, just like QLD this year. Take Hayne for example. 
Northfury

Northfury

Remember when the ARL tried to put another team in Brisbane - The Crushers - Broncos took their ball and went and created super league, they do not want any competition in Brisbane. 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
bossshoel - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
bossshoel - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
zahidkhan06 - http://www.allhereget.com/?p=102Watch all kinds of Sports like Rugby, NCAA, Soccer, NFL, CFL, AFL, MLS, MLB, NBA, NHL, Boxing , Tennis, F...
bossshoel - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181