The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Rugby League Week V Big League V Rugby League Review

Armsty

Armsty

Last season I got Big league all through the season, but I got the summer edition of Rugby League week when it came out and quite liked it, but I would like to know what you think of which is the best value for money. I only plan on buying one week in week out though. Thanks heaps. 
View all 32 comments
chooky8p

chooky8p

yeah i got a RLW from back in 1980 i found at a library in my school i grabbed it. I have probably 2 years worth of old RLW magazines at home tho as we used to have a subscription thing a few years ago i look at them every now and then its an interesting read looking back on the old stuff 
matthew

matthew

Now that I coach at a Club where Terry Lamb and Geoff Robinson used to play at, I've been collecting anything on those two legends.

I found an article from Mark Murray in 1987 saying that Lamb should leave Canterbury as he's the best halfback in the competition and not playing halfback at the Bulldogs. That was interesting....

Another one titled "Chester Hill 1st, Canterbury 2nd, Australia 3rd" in a feature done on Lamb prior to the 1986 Kangaroo Tour. 
Reynaldo7

Reynaldo7

I just get Big League at the game do either have subscriptions to each magazine?

One thing I like is the Big League Annual get that every Christmas time and read it till it's done, alot of interesting stats usually.

Have not given any of the others a chance might pick one up this season and see how they go! 
Ged

Ged

rlw is the better one in my opinion. Big league is better for stats but for rugby league analysis i prefer rlw! 
anastabation

anastabation

I reckon Rugby League week is heaps better. I probably get it nearly every week... probably would only miss 1 or 2 per season... league week I get regularly but not all the time... probably about half of them. I just enjoy getting them for something to read on my lunch breaks, while i'm on the toilet, or while i have nothing better to do. 
chooky8p

chooky8p

Where was Lamb playing at the time of that article? 
matthew

matthew

Lamb played for Canterbury in 1986 at the time of the Chester Hill 1st, Canterbury 2nd, Australia 3rd article. It was when Lamb was a walk up start in the Australian Test team playing every Test that year bar the PNG one where Lamb, Folkes, Kenny and Sterling were all rested.

Lamb played with Wests between 1980-83 and Canterbury between 1984-96. 
chooky8p

chooky8p

Sorry, should of said it more clearer i mean what position...Murray said he is the best halfback in the comp yet not playin in the halfback position...where was he playing then? 
matthew

matthew

Lamb was five-eighth and Mortimer halfback. Lamb was equally at home in both positions. He ended up taking the halfback position (wearing No.6) when Mortimer retired. That increased his legend as a 5/8 funnily enough as the 'experts' saw him as the 5/8 and the key to the side.....

Around that time of the Murray article Lamb played every game on the Kangaroo Tour, was one of the first picked for NSW and Australia (albeit wearing jersey 14) and was rated amongst the top 5 players in the game along with Lewis, Kenny and Sterling. Murray said that Lewis and Kenny were better 5/8's but Lamb was equal to Sterling as a halfback and had better chance of getting the NSW and Australian No.7 jerseys. Lamb quit rep football for a season after 1986 for family reasons, which the League were horrified at a player putting family before a rep jersey..... Murray urged him to change his retirement plans and also leave Canterbury to get away from Mortimer. Yet Lamb and Mortimer formed a great halves combination. 
chooky8p

chooky8p

So basically murray wanted him to leave Cantebury because he felt that lamb was a better halfback and although he was doing magnificantely with mortimer he still wanted him to leave...how sad 
matthew

matthew

The thing was too that Mortimer only had a year or two left in him when the article was written. He was the great player that was going to retire before Lewis or Sterling and naturally so as he was the oldest of the trio.

Many have believed Lamb was a better halfback than 5/8 but he was equally great in both roles. When at Wests and when alongside Mortimer he was a very robust player with an excellent running game and had an uncanny ability to score tries from no where. Lamb started to slow up not long after Mortimer left and he turned himself into a fine organiser and leader. His ability to score tries was there (not as relentless as before), his running game wasn't as frequent and he controlled play beautifully. Kenny at his peak was the better player but Lamb over a long period of time and at the back end of his career was far better. Lamb was able to change his game to suit his strengths and suit Canterbury. Rep football never drove him like the others. Winning premierships and raising a family from reading his book and various articles meant more to him. He never won a premiership as a junior and he lost a family member at an early age.

But back to the RLW discussions. The best articles in those days was Ray Price's followed by Steve Mortimer's. Pricey would always whinge at something (mostly the Bulldogs defence) and Turvey well that's natural bias. Pricey really had it in for the Roosters and even a forum member in here wrote a letter to the feedback attacking Pricey. I've still got to scan it for that forum member.

I don't enjoy RLW or BL these days. RLW lacks any form of credability and BL has Laurie Daley and those who pander to the cliches. BL used to have Max Krilich and Reg Gasnier and they were outspoken.

There's a difference to being outspoken and being Mark Geyer. The likes of Price, Mortimer, Krilich and Gasnier knew how to be outspoken, on the mark and to the point. Although Price's whinging made up for his lack of logic. He was funny whereas Geyer & co are annoying.

I would pay $2.50-$3.00 for an old BL or RLW from the 'Good Old Days' whereas I wouldn't buy a current magazine these days. 
Nismo

Nismo

I just get what ever i can get, usually at games i get Big League. 
Armsty

Armsty

Through last season, I tried to get a Big League at each game and bought a Rugby League week after that. Can you get a Rugby League Week year subscription? If so, how much and is it for all 26 rounds + Finals? 
bradleythegreat

bradleythegreat

I enjoy both,but proberly enjoy reading Rugby League Weekly more. 
pods

pods

Other: RLeague ;)
Other: Google News

All free! :) yay for free stuff! 
knights9

knights9

I get both. I perfer RLW more though i just BL for the line ups. 
chooky8p

chooky8p

Cant remember aye..something like 100 bucks 
Nismo

Nismo

Not really, you pay for the internet don't you? :P 
Armsty

Armsty

How much is an edition of big league and RLW per week? lol i can't really remember! 
chooky8p

chooky8p

There are 32 editions of RLW in 1 year and it costs 166 bucks and i think it costs about 6 or 7 dollars seperately 
SarahLCollins

SarahLCollins

I prefer Big League but both have been going down for a while.......... 
matthew

matthew

$4.95 for each. Too expensive for the quality (pardon the Laurie Daley pun) in them.

Pay $2.50-$3.50 and get the old magazines from the Good Old Days.

The photos on them were excellent as well. There was one of Steve Mortimer and Ray Price from the 1986 season that were memorable and RLW even won awards for them. 
Armsty

Armsty

I think I will just buy RLW and get Big League at the game. 
matt260989

matt260989

Depends what is in it for the week:P:lol: 
PRMS

PRMS

Ive been getting Big League this season. But most NRL magazines have some good articles and stuff in them. Any league magazine will do me. 
Dezmarn

Dezmarn

I have had subscription with all the above mags and the one that Im most annoyed about was the Rugby league review. What a load of crap Im not one to complain , I usually cop it and walk on and dont go there again. BUT this mag is that bad i have to say something I had never heard of the writers and hope I never do, honestly you have to force yourself to finish the articles. The layout or whatever they call is so out dated an seems to have been put together from some cheap arse amateur programme. Again one bitten twice shy...save you buck for a mag that actually informs you and keeps you interested. 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

OutbackEyes - CAIRNS FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND 2014 Tassell Trophy Club Challenge Under 14’s Carnival will be held at Vico Oval, Irene St Mooroobool, Cairns...
ALX21 - RD 20 SquadsBulldogs15 D.MaroskeRaiders6 L.LewisBroncos5 E.Alick6 J.NikorimaCowboys6 T.Carucci7 C.Bambling11 C.Hess
Leblancboys - Carina have had a number of season ending injuries and a coaching crisis mid year which can hurt the boys. East have been struggling for ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
tarifsetu - Saturday 6 September 2014, Australia vs South Africa live rugby streaming online championship 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free ...
ALX21 - Cowboys should lock Marshall Hudson in for a few years. One to keep an eye on.
qldr80 - Also in regards to the girl on the DD team, I have seen her play at club level and I can tell you she definitely holds her own. Was a sha...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168