The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Referees & There BS Penalties Are Ruinning Matches!

tricolours

tricolours

The game of Rugby League has a major flaw - no contest for possession! Were seeing far to many matches decided by referees and there penalty counts. It's an impossibility(or near to it) for sides on the wrong side of penalty counts to win matches. And , in most cases, there is no difference in the behavior. Referees are being persuaded by crowds or what they read in the media. And there are some refs more susceptible than others 
Fender

Fender

Interesting. So, what are they facts? Last year Dogs lost most penalty counts and were minor premiers. Not saying you're wrong, just would be good to have some stats :) 
stanleyg

stanleyg

If you want a contest for possession of the ball Tri colours never mind the penalties but demand contestable scrums are brought back in. At the moment they are basically a complete waste of time unless you want to point to one and say they used to be fair dinkum and not just for show 
tricolours

tricolours

it's not penalty counts as such. Its having to go long periods without penalties , while at the same time time, your opposition is getting plenty. And while I don't write down specific examples each week they are there to see. At least two sides lost on the weekend as a direct result of this. 
SAX0N

SAX0N

I loved Sticky's comment:
"It's only because they're a very easy team to penalise," Stuart said. "We don't have any of the higher-profile players where you can milk the penalty."

If you were to ask for a high profile player who is good at milking a penalty, surely Hayne would be in your top three? 
VDO

VDO

But obviously not good enough at it 
tricolours

tricolours

" If we go long periods without penalties then everyone would complain about players lying in the ruck.39 minutes ago'

Im not saying they should stop refereeing . What Im saying is thi,s there is rarely 40-50 min period where one team is perfect, and doesn't need to be penalised while the other sides has such poor dissipline that they give away 6 or 7.

And the consistancy shown is a joke. 
SAX0N

SAX0N

Its a bit of a poser. How many penalties do you blow?

Having watched the game last night;
Did Parra deserve to be penalised 8 times more often (8 to 1) in the second half? Probably not.
Did Parra deserve to be penalised significantly more often than the Tits? Maybe 7 more penalties? Absolutely. Their discipline was pretty awful. 
Space

Space

Love Ricky's rants... It was only a matter of time 
tricolours

tricolours

When sides run onto the field there discipline is roughly the same - it isn't 8-1 or 13-3. Poor discipline comes about through tiredness. If the referees do there job and penalised both sides equally and not just penalise some and let some go (which they don.t seem to be able to do) we will have matches decided on there on own merit , more exciting matches not matches decided by referees and there lopsided penalty counts.

VDO

VDO

Did parra deserve 8 penalties? yep
Were the titans that perfect? Ya farkin gaggin they were. 
rango

rango

its ridiculous that can get back ur 10m at any time u choose. corey parker should not have been allowed to make the try saving tackle cause the attack was running at a gap created by his laziness, lack of effort, fatigue whatever u want to call it before he magically appears to make the tackle. why should anyone bother getting back the 10 at all. just run along side the attack for 10 metres then make the tackle, side on, nice and easy. then just muscle up near ur try line. its idiotic and shows more flaws in the rule book. the attack that has built pressure to cause defenders not to make it back in the defensive line doesn't get its full reward if lazy defenders (corey parker, and i like parker as a player) only need to pass the defensive mark set by the ref before once again becoming a 'live' defender. whats to stop this being used as a tactic for intercepts and alike. unlikely but 20 years ago u would have been laughed at for suggested jujitsu and wrestling moves could decide games. attack needs to be promoted and holes in defence lead to exciting attack.
drop the bench to 6 or 8 players aswell and fatigue will fix the game and bring back the instinct players!! 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

OutbackEyes - The Venues and Match Details for next weekend's Connell and Meninga Cup semi-finals.The respective winners will meet in the state finals....
ALX21 - Also Dawson Cross made the Wide Bay team @eileen.
ALX21 - NYC RD 7 Squads Titans 17 J.Wedderburn-Parish Cowboys 17 C.Hess Broncos 2 E.Alick 6 J.Nikorima 7 W.Brimson 17 G.Fai
BobRiley - Did qld ever win a origin match after the hooter
showaheart - Any headgear is good headgear, my only advice is to buy something he wants to wear, the hardest thing I found with the young one's, is ge...
Footyfreak1971 - Yes it will be interesting to see I how many boys will be picked from the zone teams in 14s. I don't think we will see many, because ther...
grandad - I played for taxation in early 60's and i'm sure there was a team from mail exchange
Northqld - What about with the u/15 QAS team, are they too only made up of contracted players??? Not sure about that. Do they get to play at any ot...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php52include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php168