The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

Quirks, Enigma's, Inconsistencies in the Game ?

TS_Quint

TS_Quint

Usually because they start pushing before the ball is in.
However there have been a few occasions where the scrum win has seemingly gone against the feed fairly but the refs call it back. That is a problem. 
MightyMoo

MightyMoo

The new interpretation of the obstruction rule... Who came up with it? Anderson n Archer? Or the IC? 
saints

saints

It seemed to change last night. Thaiday was held back - yet no penalty !!!! 
brendanalderson

brendanalderson

Thought that was a disgrace. And for the refs to offer the excuse "it was just part of the scrum play" was pathetic. As I said in the Live thread, it was all too easy for Slater and probably the easiest try I have seen from a scrum in 20 years. It was blatantly obvious that someone had been taken out of the defensive line as the gap was huge for him to run into. Illegal set play from the Storm which worked a peach. 
Morgues

Morgues

I've seen Storm do this twice so far, and they've earned a penalty each time. The issue with using that trick is that if it's used all the time, it won't work. It needs to be used selectively, and only when in need (i.e. deep in your own half). 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

I remember a couple of years ago the Raiders seemingly scored a try from a scrum against the Eels at Parra Stadium. I thought it was one of the greatest things I've ever seen....until the replay showed the Raiders' hooker had held the opposing Parra player away from Justin Carney who broke through up the middle.
It was called back for a penalty to the Eels.

I didn't see how this one was different. 
TS_Quint

TS_Quint

I would say the ref's bosses came up with it, but the IC would have had to sign off on it. 
HarrySack

HarrySack

I remember that actually. Was laughing my ass off 
Lewis06

Lewis06

Wasn't there a try disallowed in the last couple of years because a team mate had pushed the half tackled player over the line giving him enough momentum to score the try? I cannot remember who it was maybe have been Brisbane, could even have been during an Origin game but I remember it was controversial.

Whichever game it was I would like to know how it is any different from the Stewart shove in the 2nd half of the Manly vs Titans game in round 3.

Have a look at the highlights, even the commentators say the try is thanks to Brett Stewart shoves, which it clearly is, but I could of sworn that this was deemed to be not allowed recently.

Anyone with a decent memory know which incident it is that I can half remember? 
HarrySack

HarrySack

Ben Hannant some Origin in 2011 I believe. 
Morgues

Morgues

Yeah, I think this was Game III, Origin 2011. Cam Smith pushed a Blues player who had tackled a QLDer, which resulted in the QLDer (Hannant, possibly) forcing the ball for a try. The outcome was a penalty against QLD. Apparently you're allowed to push your own player, but not an opposing player who has tackled your teammate. 
HarrySack

HarrySack

That's the one I'm thinking of too. 
Morkel

Morkel

Yet it's seemingly allowed when you're trying to prevent your team-mate getting pushed in to touch or in-goal. 
yourhero

yourhero

Very true. Big discrepancy. 
Morkel

Morkel

I don't mind the rule, otherwise we're heading towards union rucks, but like all rules it should be applied consistently. 
kbw

kbw

did they trial that in one of the Allstars games, maybe last year. I thought it was a great thing 
SydneyRaider

SydneyRaider

So many sets are ending in bombs at the moment. Pretty much a lottery as to who will get the ball if the bomb is accurate. 
saints

saints

Obstruction is now just a farce - as is tackling the fullback. 
Morkel

Morkel

Manly started it with the pea-heart Lyon just walking in front of a decoy in order to kill any attack against them. Now every team knows it'll work. I don't have a solution, not one that is black & white. You have to take every case on its own merit and that's not viable for refs who have never played, and definitely not on-the-spot. 
Morkel

Morkel

Something to consider. Could the rules of 'who initiated the contact' be used in conjunction with the obstruction rules when going for a kick, namely changing your lines? If a defender changes his line, it's technically them that initiates contact. Therefore the defender is taking out a runner off the ball, penalty to the attacking side (if they don't score). Just need to apply this rule once, allowing a try to be awarded, and teams will stop deliberately getting knocked over pretty fast. 
saints

saints

This does work - if the defender tackles the wrong bloke. But - not if the runner hits the defender. 
Morkel

Morkel

Problem is, it'd only be considered a tackle if the defender tries to use their arms etc. if they stand there cold & get knocked over it's called an obstruction, even if it's the defender who moved in the way of the decoy. 
bandwagon

bandwagon

Coaches will just have to adjust to how they use decoys, particularly the angles they run into a sliding defence, running inside to outside of a defender will just result in a penalty as the defender can subtly chance their line and initiate contact without it being obvious they have done so.

Running the decoy outside in to the inside shoulder of the defender will mean the defender has to change direction to initiate contact. 
MrFourex

MrFourex

Runners have to try and run towards the hole and not at the defender ...... Titans pulled off one yesterday that shows the decoy runner can still get you points without throwing away a penalty. 

You need to login or register to contribute here

Recent Rugby League Posts

seaeagles - nothing sensible to say ,you poor excuse for a human fastwater! get a brain & you will be dangerous!
ALX21 - Semi FinalJ.Nikorima and Fai named on the bench for the Broncos.
KHemsleyrulz - I realise this thread is quite old, but I'm chasing a copy of this book myself - does anyone know where I can find one?
eagle10 - there is a team list on stingers site but its versing a Toowoomba rep side
surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
surjetota - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...
bossshoel - New Zealand All Blacks vs South Africa Springboks Live streaming online Rugby 2014 match watch HD TV broadcast Full Free replay video sco...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181